Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mg47 question?

Feedback Score

Default mg47 question?

i got some parts finally to start building it. and i was thinking about building the receiver out of alum. is there any reason i shouldnt do that?

i was just thinking of weight savings.

Feedback Score

You would have to increase the thickness to make up for the aluminum being softer/more flexible. In short I would say no.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I missed this thread.

I wouldn't try it unless you know the properties of the different aluminums, I'm sure it can be done, but then I don't know if it really would be a big weight savings since you'd need to have a thicker wall like hbs20 said.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

i was looking at a 249 the other day at work (and i crushed about 100 30rd mags .....) and the receiver on that is alum. so im gonna at least try it. what do i have to lose? and i may go a little thicker like 3/16 instead of 1/8 but i wont go over that.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

There is a lot of aluminum in the 249 but I just dont know.... How are you planning on doing the ejector?

Feedback Score

I wanted to share with everyone that SharpsShooter 5090 is still selling (I didn’t know until 2 days ago) his plans and tutorial for the MG47. I got mine today and it is really inspiring. Tons of info, photos and dimensions. If you’re thinking about doing this (building an MG47) buy one. This info will make the difference.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How doese one purchase such info??

Feedback Score

@ BlackFetus - try this email: tkh1747@aol.com Tell Thomas I referred you.

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Aluminum v.s. steel

The steel used in the MG47ES receiver has a yeild strength of 36,000 psi. 6061-T6 aluminum, (the most common) has a yeild strength of 40,000 psi. So an aluminum receiver would be 11% stronger than a steel receiver if it is made from 6061-T6 aluminum alloy. Try Mc Master-Carr or Speedy Metals as a source to either the carbon steel receiver material or the aluminum material.

If I had realised that when I made the ES version, I would have used aluminum with no thickness increase. The ejector and the guide rails are a bolt on steel pieces so they are not an issue with either receiver material.

Sharpsshooter5090
    SS

Quote Originally Posted by vz58 View Post
    There is a lot of aluminum in the 249 but I just dont know.... How are you planning on doing the ejector?

Feedback Score

thinking back to my materials class in college, i thinking that aluminum will give (plastic deform) before the steel will. im not too familiar with the mg47 or how it works but you might have to worry about how the aluminum would deform if it comes in contact with too much force, where the steel doesnt deform until a larger force is applied.

Quote Originally Posted by SHARPSSHOOTER5090 View Post
    The steel used in the MG47ES receiver has a yeild strength of 36,000 psi. 6061-T6 aluminum, (the most common) has a yeild strength of 40,000 psi. So an aluminum receiver would be 11% stronger than a steel receiver if it is made from 6061-T6 aluminum alloy. Try Mc Master-Carr or Speedy Metals as a source to either the carbon steel receiver material or the aluminum material.

If I had realised that when I made the ES version, I would have used aluminum with no thickness increase. The ejector and the guide rails are a bolt on steel pieces so they are not an issue with either receiver material.

Sharpsshooter5090
    SS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.