Gunco Forums banner

RPD Build

10K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Coils 
#1 ·
Nothing special, just some pics of the build.
Polish kit, with Vector receiver and WLA semi FCG

First is the barrel pressed in the receiver after it was turned down.

See less See more
#2 ·
Next is the bolt carrier, the sear catch on the bottom was removed, a 3/8" wide groove cut down the center, the area that hits the firing pin was removed, the rail was thinned to fit the receiver and the firing pin extension installed.

#3 ·
Lower
Had to remove some of the front to seat fully on the receiver, left the original serial #, even though it doesn't matter.

Milled the inside for the semi setup to fit.

Trigger mod for the new return spring

Semi FCG parts layed out, not my pic

And the pattern used for the FCG holes. Thanks to Mike (Prexis) from the Weapons Guild

#4 ·
FCG installed

Test fitting of parts, it's hard to see but there's a drill bit holding the top cover on.

Got it assembled at this point, only need to cut the striker spring to length, that's it below the rifle.
It was about 21" to fit in about a 4.5" space, I ended up with a 7.5" spring.

Didn't take any more pics since it was assembled but I put some cold blue on the receiver and it didn't come out to well, so I'll have to redo it later and get some pics.
Got to test fire it a couple times, seems to work fine so far.

#6 ·
Wow!! Great work.

The fcg -- is that the one from the Remington shot gun?

Coils, did you set the head space with the barrel or are you going to do it with the paddles?

#7 ·
Thank you and thank you

Winn the FCG is what Wise Lite Arms designed. Weaponeer still sells it, and Pirate use to but he redesigned it a little and have them made for him now.

For the head spacing I put the barrel almost all of the way in, then set the bolt with the locking flaps (paddles) locked into the receiver and a GO guage in, then pressed the barrel the rest of the way in with the bolt in place. When I checked it with the NO-GO the flaps still locked, so I pressed the barrel in just a tad more, then they wouldn't lock on the NO-GO but still did on the GO.

I've heard of others just pressing the barrel all the way in and adjusting head space by filing the flaps, I didn't want to try this because I was worried I'd screw it up.
I know this is more then what you asked for, but hopefully it will help others later.

#8 ·
Winn the FCG is what Wise Lite Arms designed. Weaponeer still sells it, and Pirate use to but he redesigned it a little and have them made for him now.

For the head spacing I put the barrel almost all of the way in, then set the bolt with the locking flaps (paddles) locked into the receiver and a GO guage in, then pressed the barrel the rest of the way in with the bolt in place. When I checked it with the NO-GO the flaps still locked, so I pressed the barrel in just a tad more, then they wouldn't lock on the NO-GO but still did on the GO.

I've heard of others just pressing the barrel all the way in and adjusting head space by filing the flaps, I didn't want to try this because I was worried I'd screw it up.
I know this is more then what you asked for, but hopefully it will help others later.
It helps me now!!

I've done the file flaps, even bought different ones, hoping for a get it right dimension by trial and error. Your way with the barrel sounds like the right way to do it.
Thanks.

#13 ·
Damn that's nice Coils!! Not sure how I missed this, but good job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.