Gunco Forums banner

Considering MG42 / M53 build looking 4 RESOURCES

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  dcholl 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I am considering a m53 build. I have built AK's and others previously but I am NO expert. Just a weekend tinkerer. I was wondering if there was an all inclusive source that details how to build one of theses things in complete detail, something similar.

Like I said I am considering the build but I want to know what Im getting into before I buy any parts.

Also does anyone know where to get a receiver?
I found the complete parts kits, less receiver from centerfresystems.com for $300
What do you think about these kits?

Thanks guys,
Jason

#2 ·
CFS kits are good to nice, for the price.

For build info, I don't know of an all out tutorial (unless someone has it for sale), the best place I can think of is the Weapons Guild forum. Sadly you need to sign up to veiw anything, I'll take a look and see what's over there.

Just checked, yes it would be worth joining to check the info out.

#4 · (Edited)
Re M-53 Build

Hello all,
I am considering a m53 build. I have built AK's and others previously but I am NO expert. Just a weekend tinkerer. I was wondering if there was an all inclusive source that details how to build one of theses things in complete detail, something similar.

Like I said I am considering the build but I want to know what Im getting into before I buy any parts.

I found the complete parts kits, less receiver from centerfresystems.com for $300

Thanks guys,

I have one of these kits, receivers are hard to come buy, a 80% from Philla ordance is around 500, you can find the stampings on various sites, RTG, BRP guns, wiselite, and gun auction sites like Auction Arms, Guns America, Gun Broker, and even ebay, mind you the auction sites will be selling demilled receivers and the parts guys sell the stampings you put together and wel yourself. ,,,Doc

#5 ·
I forgot to ask about this,, someone stated that there was a resin receiver made for the Mg42 & the M-53 dose anyone know where these can be obtained and for how much? I can t even find the rear cut off section. If I could find one of those in good shape, I could make my own. any help would be great help thanks in advance...Doc

#6 ·
Wiselite M53

Hello all,

Thanks guys,

I have one of these kits, receivers are hard to come buy, a 80% from Philla ordance is around 500, you can find the stampings on various sites, RTG, BRP guns, wiselite, and gun auction sites like Auction Arms, Guns America, Gun Broker, and even ebay, mind you the auction sites will be selling demilled receivers and the parts guys sell the stampings you put together and wel yourself. ,,,Doc
Back when the kits were $250 everyone around here used Wiselite, I even think there is a jig floating around that makes the welding come out really good if you have one of the local pipeliners run the beads for you. Most of the extra parts come from RTG.

#7 ·
Re M53 Build

Hello all,

Thanks guys,
Jason
Hi Jason,
I have one of the Kits from CFS, the kit wasn't bad packed in the usal cosmolene. the cam section that came woith mine was perfect. there were some small parts missing. Like the litle lever that locks the bipod in place. When I got min I paid 199. with out the barrel mine is a 8mm. the stock will have usal wear normal scratches and dings but still very serviceable. as for a receiver there is several ways to go, you can purchase the stampings and weld it all up or pay up to two grand for the whole receiver and barrel shroud already done. which is a FFL item, there are several things you have to do to make it semi-auto. the bolt has to have work done, a blocker has to be put in so it cannot accept a Fa bolt. I did find a link on you tube on the disassembely of the Mg42/M53 that may help you,,Doc

MG42 Field Strip - YouTube

#9 ·
RE.53 Parts

Barrels are not really a problem. gunparts corp had them, I do belive IMA had them as well. Ebay is a good place for gun parts. If I had just the back portion of the receiver that goes to the stock, Id be ok making my own. and Im making some modifactions naturally, and I want to be able to so the whole semi project chepier!. Im triny to get the deminsions on long the receiver is from the stock to the camming section, and the width at each end. there not alot of actuakl refrence to the M-53 other than its a post war copy of the MG42, I found out that thare are actuall a few versions of this rifle, I wonder how many of these parts are interchangeable anyone have any ideas?...Doc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.