Gunco Forums banner

Need .223 Belt feed help

4K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Coils 
#1 ·
I cannot seem to find a .223 M249 top cover short of buying a full M249 kit for $4500.00 (not gonna happen). Guys is there any other feed cover out there that will cycle M27 .223 metal links? One that can be modified? I want to finish this semi-auto project but am stumped for the time being.

#2 ·
I think you are going to have a tough time. When I was building my MG47-308, I learned the trick to all of it is matching the links and the feed mech. If they don't normally work together you will have a tough time. You may be able to mess with an RPD cover, but it will be a challenge. Perhaps if you can tweak the RPD belts to hold 5.56, it could work, but I think that is the reason that no one is building them.

If you find a cheap source for 5.56 feed mechs you will open up a big door that we all will go running through.....

#15 ·
@cal70 - I have read several discussions, in the past, about the use of type (u) links. I never could find where these were available. Thanks for clearing this up. So, if you wanted to do a 5.45 or 5.56 cal MG47, you would use a RPD top and tray with the type (u) links?

Thank you for the info!

#22 ·
You should be able to take some metal off the feed tray? I'll try to get more details later to give you a better idea.

It's hard to say if you can bend the links in more, they are fairly hard and not springy like you'd think. I found this out on one of my belts because there's a tab like thing on the front of the belt that rides on a guide to hold the front of the belt up in the feed tray, one was bent and was jamming, when I tried to bend it back it snapped off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.