Gunco Forums banner

pkt reciever reweld capability?

24K views 108 replies 13 participants last post by  Pryotex 
#1 ·
Has anyone here, re welded a original demilled reciever (obvusally with the proper semi auto actions needed) or would it be better to try to convert a SGMT gory to a pkm style platform? i own a sg 43, but i think its just way too beefy for anything non supported by a carage or tripod .. ideas? in search for a fun bipod beltfed, semi, of corse... PKM's are just so.. badass.. im okay with bastardization, too.

#28 ·
I paid $450 for my spare PKM barrel from Ohio Ordnance Works 6 years ago (wow have I had this kit that long?!?!?) and I think they shot up to $600 right after the "barrel ban" was imposed. Sounds about right, unfortunately.

Does anyone know offhand who is making the existing barrel blanks? I havne't looked... green mountain or someone else perhaps? Using a blank would be MUCH easier...

#29 ·
Yes, i will get you some pictures Viper dude, this actually came in pretty nice shape.. its too bad my OCD is going to make me refinish all the parts... otherwise, the original finish is really nice.. i just got done cutting some weight off the front and rear trunnions.. i probally hacked around atleast half a pound off the front one, and the rear im going to modify for a FAL SAW styled buttstock... polymer, less weight.. and comeone.. SAW buttstocks look sick. pictures when i can, maybe tonight :)

also, Pookie, i have no idea? if you ever end up turning one, i would love to get in on some of that action.. GUNBROKER is selling some of the PKM gas blocks, and id just fab my own front sight.. like i have to anywase. ha... i want to cut down the length and ID of this barrel... but for a repair, im skeptical around those areas.. i wouldnt mind even putting a sleeve Over that area.. im really at a loss with the barrel other then the tap, screw, plug method.

#31 ·
So, after apparently long adue, or whatever..
some pictures, iv been a little slacker-ie on them.. but iv been drinking alot... and hanging out with my new girlfreind.. lol.. so thats why you waited.
also, takeing pictures < working on gun more, ya know?

Musical instrument accessory Bicycle part Bumper Automotive exterior Gun barrel

modified rear trunnion to accept M249 SAW style butt stock, its CRAPCO, meant for a FAL, thus the long tube running through it... took awhile to get the angle just right.. and yes, i rock a sweet spatter norther tool cheapo welder.. i wont be doing the receiver work with this tho, i refuse to let quality parts like that get bad attention from a bad sloppy machine.
Bumper Trigger Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior Wood

fabbing the doo-hicky... lol... charging handle guy, i did a rubbing of it instead of measuring everything out... because i dont care that much yet..
Black Sleeve Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

sorta layer out, the pile of crap above the gun, and under the barrel is excess weight i managed to cleave off, not including the large amount of grinding iv done on the front and rear trunnion.
Hand Air gun Trigger Finger Shotgun

this drill hole makes me sad :(
Air gun Camera accessory Bicycle part Trigger Gun accessory

this one makes me less sad, considering its further away from the chamber.. thinking.. threaded plug? special porcelain heat resistant "lock tite" shit mentioned on weapon guild, and plug weld... wouldn't mind even putting a band over it..
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Cable Rim Auto part

the last hole should be super easy, considering im using a front sight, i'll probably just replace the whole band that they just drilled though, with a front sight.. of corse.... hell.. even if i consider keeping that much barrel.. i wouldn't mind chopping the size down to 18 - 20 inches... just right in front of the gas block duder... which cuts weight, thus why i used a SAW butt stock.. i want this to be a bastard PKM as much as it possibly can... and shoulder/ bipod fire it(have a bipod off of gunbroker on its way, yay), and i figure i wont be using it out to the maximum range of the round, and its a semi automatic belt fed already.. so... that what justify's my decisions..

anybody know what a normal PKM's barrel length is?
also, any jigs for sale for rewelding the receiver?

#32 ·
you could counterbore the barrel past where the hole near the muzzle is then press/pin on your front sight or hell why not weld a picatinny rail to the topcover and use optics? the pkt top cover doesnt have a rear sight anyways and your not going for 100% authentic pkm. those pics have got me drooling and wanting to build one of these!

#33 ·
a rail on the top cover is totally sometging iv considered.. but i want atleast a back up iron sight... i guess if i get a long enough rail i could do a reail mounted one.. leaveing me alot less bullshit to deal with, im pretty determined on cutting the length down.. its a pretty long heavy barrel, some reprofileing would be sweet too.

#35 ·
Is that hole near the chamber where the cartridge is, or actually where the bullet is? I was expecting it to be closer to the breech end where a sleeve/threaded plug would work easier. It looks like the bullet has to glide past it. I would still feel comfortable threading a plug into that hole and loctiting it in place. Exactly as I did with my 7.62x39 gas plug hole but larger. Larger = more thread area to hold the plug and I would not fear blowout if it was done properly.

The trick would be to cut it back so it is as flush as possible on the inside to keep the plug from becoming an obstruction. In fact you should be able to dremel it to shape, screw into place, eyeball 1.0, and then repeat until it is relatively flush with the bore. Make a feeler gauge of some sort from a metal strip that is as wide as the bore, and then insert this into the breech to validate the bore is the proper diameter after the cutting on the chamber-facing side of the plug.

Not that I would recommend it for anyone else but I would try it myself if it were my barrel :)

#36 ·
Ordering a m249 rear sight from black thorn products, in combination with matt yeamens 8inch $30 dollar steel rails welded in front of the rear sight.... What front sight would best compliment a m249 rear?? Also, pookie! Great idea with the feeling rod. Totally coppin that from you.. I see youv given it some thought. The chamber most hole, I believe is just a hair below the bullet, I'll check when I get home again, I might need to de burr from the ATF hack drill job. To get the bullet more home. Been concentrating on other things instead if the barrel.

#41 ·
we've plugged a bunch of GOry barrel's that way... not had any problem at all...

but that one location is kinda strange on that barrel, most of the ones we've done have had one in the chamber, one near the gas port & one up front by the site...

on that set up the rear one is encased in the reciever and cant move. the front one is under a band.. cant move... so the gas port one is the only one with any real questions on it and we havent had a failure or issue yet even on a postie.

BUT if you can get a barrel then theres no reason not to!

#43 ·
This is a super nooby question, but do belt Feds need a specific barrel length, like shotguns do? Or is it a rifle legal 16in? I know they used longer Beefyer barrels for the heat and range. Also, since I'm cutting the barrel down, I centered, drilled and tapped a AK front sight onto the gasblock, sure sight radius is down, but it's less crap to pin back onto the barrel, doesn't look too bad eaither xD.... Will post pictures, pretty easy procedure puting together a front sight on the PKT. Also, doese anyone know if anybody's ever used a G3 FCG, and grip houseing for a PKT - PKM conversion? Also, took the stenoid apart, anyone ever done that? A bunch of reusable pins of all sizes , somn springs, and oddly shaped peices of metal for, maybe other projects ;D

#48 ·
thanks wrench, good to see your still sporting gunco :D

and yes, i plan of doing a normal, hammer/ trigger guy, i rather redesign the spring system then do a striker.
Bicycle part Gas Auto part Camera accessory

i havent welded all the sides down, but i think it turned out sort of slick... all that GAS BLOCK, and a nice flat side to work with? well, the barrels serial numbers messed, but i'll take function over that, which was destroyed by 3 bore sized holes anywase.
Office ruler Line Engineering Font Auto part

top cover, still have some cleaning up to do

#49 · (Edited)
I have always heard the commercial semi PKM's had very heavy trigger pull and the ugly striker spring tube through the stock that also prevented a folding stock.

My build has none of those problems.

[/url][/IMG]

You can find the build thread on Weapons Guild. I'm not computer savy enough to copy it over to here. The mods are welcome to if thats allowed.

Login

#54 ·
Neather, LOL... my mg74 reciever got trashed, so im re-doing it, you know when you redo something, but the inner glutten for punishment, feels like it should refine things more? yeah xD building it a little bit more diffrent, rigging the carrying handle, and top cover hindge block to be riveted on the other side of the bullet guide, with the same hole and rivet as the bullet guide.

progress on the pkt is boreing, i finally am cutting my jig to weld the fucker togeather with. took 2 hours to cut this aluminum block in half with a sawzill... saw in one hand, beer in other

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.