Gunco Forums banner

pkt reciever reweld capability?

24K views 108 replies 13 participants last post by  Pryotex 
#1 ·
Has anyone here, re welded a original demilled reciever (obvusally with the proper semi auto actions needed) or would it be better to try to convert a SGMT gory to a pkm style platform? i own a sg 43, but i think its just way too beefy for anything non supported by a carage or tripod .. ideas? in search for a fun bipod beltfed, semi, of corse... PKM's are just so.. badass.. im okay with bastardization, too.

#55 ·
Great info here. I will be putting my PKT together soon (After the many others projects sitting here) I will first do a re-weld on the receiver and by that time I should be able to compare it to the new stamping PKM/PKT receiver to check how it came out. My barrel is almost finished with the Re-Mill and looks like that will come fine like a few others.

#57 ·
That will be no problem, I tapped and installed a threaded plug and TIG welded the top (17yrs D17.1 Certified) I used a "Press" fit plug for the chamber that was pre-shaped to be close. After welding that in I then finished it up with a piloted chamber reamer to smooth things out.

#63 ·
Well im a rookie if you cant tell i aint even came close to buying a kit im mmoore concerned about getting as much lnfo as possible before i do so how do youu gauge the distancce between cuts and has annyone in here used copper ffor backing tofill the gaps between cuts or does everyone here use repair plates

#64 ·
I have a line on 80% receivers but can say much until I know for sure. BUT I will post that info here.
Please do, if someone makes an 80% or partial receiver that's not too crazy on the price, I think I'd get one.

vriver
Some people will assemble it to set the distances with the top cover and other parts, there's some that use a jig.
Yes it's best to use a copper backer, less clean up on the inside.
If your kit has large gaps, it would be best to use a filler/repair plate to fill them in.

#70 ·
Originally Vitor claimed they wouldn't sell 80% receivers because the ATF didn't like licensed firearm makers to sell 80% receivers. ( The ATF considers any forming material of a receiver for the purpose of making a firearm qualifies the piece as a firearm. In theory a firearm maker can't have both unfinished firearms and 80% non-firearms. Then Prexis offered 80% PKM receivers and I think at one somebody claimed they were made at the same place as or at Vitor. The last I time I contacted Prexis they had a long wait time. Something like 3 to 4 months. 8 to 12 weeks I think. It might have even been 6 months. Maybe I should have ordered a couple of them. Weaponeer Forums: WTS prexis pkm 80% receiver Weaponeer Forums: WTS prexis pkm 80% receiver

#65 ·
repair plates? no... im using a aluminum block with holes drilled and tapped with the rivet holes to create the proper distance for the different slices... Thompson machines.net 2010 are printed on the pictures i have for the exact distances, tho.... there's differences between the PKM and PKT receivers... rivet holes and such... also, no clue what a "battle pack" holds on to for a PKT... because im sure that was part of the mount? doesn't it go under the gas tube thinger? also, FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES.. i bought a PKM gas tube + bipod on gunbroker awhile ago... and a RPK bipod could easily fit onto the original gas tube with some lathe work... yeah, work, but cheaper in the long run, literally the same bipod system... bought one from apex for a mg-74-47 build... figured i spent the money to tell you guys whats up... also, very interested in a 80%... this reweld shit is way too much work... tho once i get this jig down, i should be able to smooth out the process for possible further builds if i choose to do so

#66 ·
OF COURSE you can retrofit one with using parts for the distances! The issue is going to be configuring the scrap pieces with the appropriate "semi-only" conversions BEFORE welding up the pieces. That is the huge issue. Weld in your restrictor plate; grind off the sear catch on the bolt carrier, and weld away!

Problem is, that for me, it seems like it would be more hassle to reweld scraps than it would to build from scratch. I am working with a $50 shell from Pirate - projectguns.com - and am facing the issue of making the dimple on the bottom for the feed arm clearance. I kind of got it, but it could be cleaned up and done better. I might buy another $50 shell just to have it on-hand.

Make that bottom dimple and the rest is fit-and-measure for the parts. Start with the trunion and work backward. Spot weld the rails like a normal AK. Grind some steel to make the charging handle plate and spot weld it on. To me, that process is easier than rewelding on scrap pieces. The issue with rewelding scrap is that the heat damage the pieces have suffered have PROBABLY warped them enough that it will never flatten out again.

Either way will get you there. Just may not look as pretty.

Now about blueprints.... Blueprints suffer the issue of possibly not being accurate, and really if you already have the parts in your hands, then why would you need to measure from a blueprint when you can just as easily get measurements from the acutal part?

Oh and don't count on a company releasing blueprints that would allow you to avoid buying their product! :rofl:

#69 ·
and im not allowed to give any more details on Pryo's "deal" that is coming up until he gets it all "perfect"...

lets just say that some of you will be very interested. heh heh

#71 ·
PKT converted for infantry use. Translated from Russian. The transformation machine gun PKT - In the course of numerous local conflicts in the early '90s, the former Soviet Union, representatives of illegal armed groups an acute demand for machine-guns, as the primary means of support for the infantry. At the same time, the warring parties, a large number of machine gun stolen in the army, taken from a damaged in combat or incapacitated armor. Natural step to overcome this deficiency should be considered as small scale production of alteration in the mechanical workshops of the civil Profile armored infantry machine gun in the option. Scheme alterations, which received the greatest distribution was as follows: - With electric trigger gun shot block. - To free up space on the back plate receiver, overlaid steel plates for sidewall compound Miniature receiver attached to the butt of a pistol grip from a single piece of plastic or multiple layers of plywood glued together. - A safety plate was removed, and partially cut off trigger was connected to a homemade hook to cut out a slot in the bottom of the receiver. - The site bleed stem bolts are fastened with a clamp bipod tin of thick steel rod with pointed ends. - In the barrel in front of the welding protrusion was attached to the front sight. - At the receiver cover Miniature compound joined a steel angle with the radial notch, playing the role of a sight leaf. Because the maximum simplification of the process of adaptation, on the obtained machine guns were no such elements infantry machine gun PKM as: safety lamp, bracket for mounting the box of ammunition, safety clip on the trigger, the holder on the bipod for precast ramrod, nests in the butt for the nipples and a pen holder cleaning supplies. Due to these simplifications, a converted machine gun PKM inferior with regard to dimensions and weight indicators for ease of carrying in combat, security and accuracy of aimed fire. The only advantage to a converted PBC RMB turned out to be an opportunity for more intensive and prolonged fire due to the presence of an elongated stem, and weighted. Machine guns of similar design have been widely used in the Karabakh war, during the First and Second Chechen wars, the Civil War in Tajikistan, in the South Ossetian War (1991-1992), in the Georgian-Abkhazian war (1992-1993).

Attachments

#72 ·
Im converting my PKT with a PSL butt stock (They are much cheaper) and also machining the original electric rear trunnion to a Spade Grip. I repaired the barrel so I will keep the longer original and save some cash.

#76 ·
Ok, Im stamping out new 80% receivers, I have all the parts now. These include a exact copy of the camming plate and laser cut feed paw budge. (Not boxy like others) I blew out my cylinder on my press and one is "shipping" as I type. When I get the press fixed I will stamp up one to ensure that everything is correct. I am hoping for less than a week.

#77 ·
Hrm, this might sound noobie, but on un heattreated metal, is the reciever of these guys thick enough for no heat treated spots? i mean, theres no axis pins moveing around. also, to bend these to a 100%, would one just do the AGI (american gunsmith) method of folding the bent?

#78 ·
These are bent, But no holes, There are the rivet holes that need to be drilled and a few places that need to be cut out. (Mill, cutoff wheel). There is a 0.25" Blocking bar installed for Hammer fire units. (ATF likes that better than no blocking bar for striker fire). I am checking to see if I am allowed to cut the charging handle slot. If I can I will also Spot weld the Camming plate on.

#79 ·
I am checking to see if I am allowed to cut the charging handle slot
If they are iffy on the slot, how about just putting a hole at each end of it?
This way someone has reference points to start and stop. Just an idea

Hell if you can do a bent blank, even without any holes but all the measurements needed are provided, I'd buy one and I don't have a kit yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.