Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: pkt reciever reweld capability?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

So, after apparently long adue, or whatever..
    some pictures, iv been a little slacker-ie on them.. but iv been drinking alot... and hanging out with my new girlfreind.. lol.. so thats why you waited.
    also, takeing pictures < working on gun more, ya know?

photo.JPG
    modified rear trunnion to accept M249 SAW style butt stock, its CRAPCO, meant for a FAL, thus the long tube running through it... took awhile to get the angle just right.. and yes, i rock a sweet spatter norther tool cheapo welder.. i wont be doing the receiver work with this tho, i refuse to let quality parts like that get bad attention from a bad sloppy machine.
    photo(2).JPG
    fabbing the doo-hicky... lol... charging handle guy, i did a rubbing of it instead of measuring everything out... because i dont care that much yet..
    photo(3).jpg
    sorta layer out, the pile of crap above the gun, and under the barrel is excess weight i managed to cleave off, not including the large amount of grinding iv done on the front and rear trunnion.
    photo(4).JPG
    this drill hole makes me sad
    photo(5).JPG
    this one makes me less sad, considering its further away from the chamber.. thinking.. threaded plug? special porcelain heat resistant "lock tite" shit mentioned on weapon guild, and plug weld... wouldn't mind even putting a band over it..
    photo(6).JPG
    the last hole should be super easy, considering im using a front sight, i'll probably just replace the whole band that they just drilled though, with a front sight.. of corse.... hell.. even if i consider keeping that much barrel.. i wouldn't mind chopping the size down to 18 - 20 inches... just right in front of the gas block duder... which cuts weight, thus why i used a SAW butt stock.. i want this to be a bastard PKM as much as it possibly can... and shoulder/ bipod fire it(have a bipod off of gunbroker on its way, yay), and i figure i wont be using it out to the maximum range of the round, and its a semi automatic belt fed already.. so... that what justify's my decisions..

anybody know what a normal PKM's barrel length is?
    also, any jigs for sale for rewelding the receiver?

Feedback Score

you could counterbore the barrel past where the hole near the muzzle is then press/pin on your front sight or hell why not weld a picatinny rail to the topcover and use optics? the pkt top cover doesnt have a rear sight anyways and your not going for 100% authentic pkm. those pics have got me drooling and wanting to build one of these!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

a rail on the top cover is totally sometging iv considered.. but i want atleast a back up iron sight... i guess if i get a long enough rail i could do a reail mounted one.. leaveing me alot less bullshit to deal with, im pretty determined on cutting the length down.. its a pretty long heavy barrel, some reprofileing would be sweet too.

Feedback Score

Hello BF,
    The PK barrels are 25.9 inches long IAW "Small Arms of the World".

That chamber hole looks repairable with a shaped-threaded plug and maybe a sleeve around it. The sleeve would keep the plug from moving.

Cool kit !!!! Thanks for the pics.

VD

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Is that hole near the chamber where the cartridge is, or actually where the bullet is? I was expecting it to be closer to the breech end where a sleeve/threaded plug would work easier. It looks like the bullet has to glide past it. I would still feel comfortable threading a plug into that hole and loctiting it in place. Exactly as I did with my 7.62x39 gas plug hole but larger. Larger = more thread area to hold the plug and I would not fear blowout if it was done properly.

The trick would be to cut it back so it is as flush as possible on the inside to keep the plug from becoming an obstruction. In fact you should be able to dremel it to shape, screw into place, eyeball 1.0, and then repeat until it is relatively flush with the bore. Make a feeler gauge of some sort from a metal strip that is as wide as the bore, and then insert this into the breech to validate the bore is the proper diameter after the cutting on the chamber-facing side of the plug.

Not that I would recommend it for anyone else but I would try it myself if it were my barrel
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ordering a m249 rear sight from black thorn products, in combination with matt yeamens 8inch $30 dollar steel rails welded in front of the rear sight.... What front sight would best compliment a m249 rear?? Also, pookie! Great idea with the feeling rod. Totally coppin that from you.. I see youv given it some thought. The chamber most hole, I believe is just a hair below the bullet, I'll check when I get home again, I might need to de burr from the ATF hack drill job. To get the bullet more home. Been concentrating on other things instead if the barrel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm sure accuracy can suffer because of the inconsistency in that area but then again it isn't an accuracy build. I still think a new barrel blank would be best
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

i would, if i knew someone who would turn one for me....

Feedback Score

I think hellbox armory offers a chambering service and a profiling service for $25 each so $50 for service and $33 for a green mountain blank and you would be in business.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

:O WHAT, that sounds amazeing
    ill check them out.. best part about everything is, i can change the barrel out pretty quick.... so owning a few different ones doesn't seem like a waste

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

pkt reweld

rewelding pkm receiver

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.