Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: pkt reciever reweld capability?

Feedback Score

Would Vltor give up the blueprints by any chance? didnt they come out with a semi receiver lately?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by akfiend View Post
    Would Vltor give up the blueprints by any chance? didnt they come out with a semi receiver lately?
    I have a line on 80% receivers but can say much until I know for sure. BUT I will post that info here.

Feedback Score

Well im a rookie if you cant tell i aint even came close to buying a kit im mmoore concerned about getting as much lnfo as possible before i do so how do youu gauge the distancce between cuts and has annyone in here used copper ffor backing tofill the gaps between cuts or does everyone here use repair plates

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I have a line on 80% receivers but can say much until I know for sure. BUT I will post that info here.
    Please do, if someone makes an 80% or partial receiver that's not too crazy on the price, I think I'd get one.

vriver
    Some people will assemble it to set the distances with the top cover and other parts, there's some that use a jig.
    Yes it's best to use a copper backer, less clean up on the inside.
    If your kit has large gaps, it would be best to use a filler/repair plate to fill them in.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

repair plates? no... im using a aluminum block with holes drilled and tapped with the rivet holes to create the proper distance for the different slices... Thompson machines.net 2010 are printed on the pictures i have for the exact distances, tho.... there's differences between the PKM and PKT receivers... rivet holes and such... also, no clue what a "battle pack" holds on to for a PKT... because im sure that was part of the mount? doesn't it go under the gas tube thinger? also, FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES.. i bought a PKM gas tube + bipod on gunbroker awhile ago... and a RPK bipod could easily fit onto the original gas tube with some lathe work... yeah, work, but cheaper in the long run, literally the same bipod system... bought one from apex for a mg-74-47 build... figured i spent the money to tell you guys whats up... also, very interested in a 80%... this reweld shit is way too much work... tho once i get this jig down, i should be able to smooth out the process for possible further builds if i choose to do so

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

OF COURSE you can retrofit one with using parts for the distances! The issue is going to be configuring the scrap pieces with the appropriate "semi-only" conversions BEFORE welding up the pieces. That is the huge issue. Weld in your restrictor plate; grind off the sear catch on the bolt carrier, and weld away!

Problem is, that for me, it seems like it would be more hassle to reweld scraps than it would to build from scratch. I am working with a $50 shell from Pirate - projectguns.com - and am facing the issue of making the dimple on the bottom for the feed arm clearance. I kind of got it, but it could be cleaned up and done better. I might buy another $50 shell just to have it on-hand.

Make that bottom dimple and the rest is fit-and-measure for the parts. Start with the trunion and work backward. Spot weld the rails like a normal AK. Grind some steel to make the charging handle plate and spot weld it on. To me, that process is easier than rewelding on scrap pieces. The issue with rewelding scrap is that the heat damage the pieces have suffered have PROBABLY warped them enough that it will never flatten out again.

Either way will get you there. Just may not look as pretty.

Now about blueprints.... Blueprints suffer the issue of possibly not being accurate, and really if you already have the parts in your hands, then why would you need to measure from a blueprint when you can just as easily get measurements from the acutal part?

Oh and don't count on a company releasing blueprints that would allow you to avoid buying their product!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Putting in a Semi shelf in the bottom (The 0.25" one) Makes a great foundation for easier spacing of the cut pieces and holding the dimensions correctly to Re-weld.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well Im one step closer to finishing my receiver. (75%-er) I need to verify some dimensions before I cut it up more. Slow going right now.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

and im not allowed to give any more details on Pryo's "deal" that is coming up until he gets it all "perfect"...

lets just say that some of you will be very interested. heh heh
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Please do, if someone makes an 80% or partial receiver that's not too crazy on the price, I think I'd get one.

vriver
    Some people will assemble it to set the distances with the top cover and other parts, there's some that use a jig.
    Yes it's best to use a copper backer, less clean up on the inside.
    If your kit has large gaps, it would be best to use a filler/repair plate to fill them in.
    Originally Vitor claimed they wouldn't sell 80% receivers because the ATF didn't like licensed firearm makers to sell 80% receivers. ( The ATF considers any forming material of a receiver for the purpose of making a firearm qualifies the piece as a firearm. In theory a firearm maker can't have both unfinished firearms and 80% non-firearms. Then Prexis offered 80% PKM receivers and I think at one somebody claimed they were made at the same place as or at Vitor. The last I time I contacted Prexis they had a long wait time. Something like 3 to 4 months. 8 to 12 weeks I think. It might have even been 6 months. Maybe I should have ordered a couple of them. Weaponeer Forums: WTS prexis pkm 80% receiver Weaponeer Forums: WTS prexis pkm 80% receiver

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Search tags for this page

convert pkt pkm

pkt pkm conversion

pkt reweld

rewelding pkm receiver

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.