Gunco Forums banner

building a 1919

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Bolt2Bounce2 
#1 ·
finally got a 1919 kit. it should be here monday. im planning on posting progress pics and whatnot but it will probably be slow going at first because im in the middle of redoing my kitchen right now.

cabinets just came in so i got some work ahead.

but im sooooooo excited.

#4 ·
Converted mine back from .308 to .30-06 as it was a bit cheaper. You can also set them up for 8mm, although that ammo isn't as available as it was. The 7.62X54R kit isn't currently in production but can still be found.

#15 ·
Yep: I paid $350.00 with two barrels from FAC. I'm slow & just finished painting this morning. Seven year build! Seems likke everyone else has theirs parkerized & I wanted to be a bit different. So..GunKote gunmetal blue over zinc phosphate park. Damn there's a lot of pieces to paint!!
The 1928 tripod is even more work because I wanted all the rust pits filled & I'm sanding & polishing all the brass. Sanding & sanding & I'll be sanding for weeks to come. Some of the casting pits seem to have no bottom!! Heh..Heh

#16 ·
You know what really works good for filling those minor pits if you're painting it Bradrock,,a high build catilized 2 part epoxy auto primer. 1-2 thin even coats and some sanding and there gone,, great stuff and it's bullet proof, it WON"T come off. That will save ya TON'S of time and effort with a better overall results and in less time.Great stuff.

I'd seen a 1919 years and years ago that someone had bead blasted and did a low sheen nickle plating on it, different, but it looked pretty damn good, that finish really made the lines of it stand out more than a blue/black finish. It almost looked like a dull silver parkerizing is about the only way I could describe it. Kinda different. I remember the guy saying the plating made the gun much tighter and smoother with the hard nickle plating and the extra thickness of the nickle being deposited on the surface made a big difference all around, and wasn't as hard to clean.

But seriously if you guys are doing up something that's pitted and you're planing on painting it, try that primer, it's really awesome!!

#18 ·
Well I powder coated the tripod legs & side plates ,so no body filler. I found a product at Eastwood called high temp Lab Metal. About $75.00 for a tiny tiny wee little can & a pint of solvent for clean up. But it worked.

I think my Gunmetal blue over park finish is the best looking 1919 I've ever seen

Just kidding....Heh...Heh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.