Gunco Forums banner

RPD Receiver Prints and question

11K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  km.eengr 
#1 ·
Anybody have RPD receiver blueprints? I've looked around and have only been able to come up with some for the lower (FCG section), I'm looking for the 'upper' torch cut part.

So here's my 3am thought. This thing isn't much more than an overgrown beltfed AK right. Assuming that I'm not concerned with getting it back to 100% accurate depiction of its original self. What about bending up some sheet metal, using the cut receiver ends as 'trunnions' and welding in some steel channels for the bolt to ride in? I got up a little early and grabbed the top cover and sized it up against one of my AK's, looks close but still too long (I think, only spent about 30 sec on it). My wife came out and asked what I was doing and then asked when I was going to blow myself up lol. I don't think the pressure would be an issue, shouldn't be more than an AK and we use flats on those all the time. If I'm right, between that, cutting down the barrel and replacing all the wood, I should be able to get some weight off this pig which would be nice. Anyone ever play with the idea, did it work or am I just finally losing it?

#2 ·
It's not like an AK.
An AK has a rotating bolt with tabs that locks into ears in the trunnion. So most of the pressure from the round firing is put on the trunnion and bolt held.

The RPD has locking flaps on the carrier that move outward into grooves on the inside of the receiver, these flaps are behind the bolt head a few inches. So the pressure is further back in the receiver.

Do you have any parts of the RPD receiver to look at?
It still might be possible to make a receiver from something else other then a chunk of milled steel.
But even using heavy sheet steel or even tubing might be possible, but some machining would still be needed, and I think you would still need some parts of the original receiver (like the front and maybe the rear sections?)

But I get what your thinking, and it would be neat to see one built lighter, and the receiver is the bulk of that weight.
If you want more info I can look for pics I took or take some and hope they can help you think of something.

OH I just thought of this. In the "AK build it yourself" area is the "MG47" thread, now it mainly uses AK parts but it could help give you ideas.
Here, there's two threads, and it will take a while to go through them.
http://www.gunco.net/forums/f50/belt-feed-ak-47-a-34001/
http://www.gunco.net/forums/f50/mg47es-belt-feed-37756/

#3 ·
Ya I've got 3 complete torched receivers to work from. My initial plan was to just buy an 80% semi but those things are damn hard to find and I refuse to pay almost 600 for a 100%, that and the 6 month wait. Plan B is easy enough, reweld, blueprints would be a HUGE help so I didn't have to play the guessing game.

I do have a cnc mill it's smallish but with some creative positioning I can get most things done. My thought on this is lighten it up and the original receiver parts struck me as being overkill. I'm working on another project heavily based on sharpsshooters plans and the further I think this one out the more of those elements it's taking on (at least in my head right now).

I've got to get out to the shop and lay this whole thing out. Typical though, as soon as it came in the wifes honeydo list got a mile long, she had lumber delivered in the snow yesterday for a new chicken coupe that I guess I'm supposed to build this weekend lol.

If anyone can come up with a set of prints for the rpd, I'd appreciate it.

#5 ·
I had one of the 80% internally cut blanks from Prexis that I sold along with the plans for $300.00 late last year! A friend has one also with the original plans that he would probaly sell for the same price plus shipping if you are intrested! To make it easier, I bought a DSA receiver from Knob Creek Gun Range in Kentucky for $450.00 late last year & had it in less than a week! Hope this helps!
Ya I've got 3 complete torched receivers to work from. My initial plan was to just buy an 80% semi but those things are damn hard to find and I refuse to pay almost 600 for a 100%, that and the 6 month wait. Plan B is easy enough, reweld, blueprints would be a HUGE help so I didn't have to play the guessing game.

I do have a cnc mill it's smallish but with some creative positioning I can get most things done. My thought on this is lighten it up and the original receiver parts struck me as being overkill. I'm working on another project heavily based on sharpsshooters plans and the further I think this one out the more of those elements it's taking on (at least in my head right now).

I've got to get out to the shop and lay this whole thing out. Typical though, as soon as it came in the wifes honeydo list got a mile long, she had lumber delivered in the snow yesterday for a new chicken coupe that I guess I'm supposed to build this weekend lol.

If anyone can come up with a set of prints for the rpd, I'd appreciate it.

#7 ·
I haven't looked at the prices of receivers lately.

But if you have a mill I think you could make a receiver with steel plates like one of sharpsshooter's MG47 styles, I think the hardest part would be the front end for mounting the barrel and top cover.
And since you have receiver pieces you have most of the things you need to copy from. Maybe you can use one of the front sections to build around?

I don't know what else to offer right now, but willing to help however I can, keep asking questions and maybe letting us know what your planning.

#10 ·
You should be on your way to a better build with your RPD parts kit after you get the Prexis receiver! Keep us informed on your progress!

#13 ·
Glad to hear that you got your 80% blank & are priming up to make chips! As you cut away the unwanted metal, pictures would be nice as to how the project is coming!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.