Gunco Forums banner

PKM Build: Parts Question

19K views 74 replies 7 participants last post by  BEAST26 
#1 ·
I have decided to take the plunge and try my hand at a semi PKM build. Looking through other threads and for parts online, I see that I am about 4 years too late on this band wagon. But hell, why not give it a shot.

Anyways, I am starting with a PKT parts kit and gathering the additional parts for a PKM build. I was wondering if anyone has any good links for PKM parts? Also, does anyone currently have any of the following parts that is willing to send critical dimensions so that I can have someone fabricate the parts. I am looking for: front sight assembly, front gas block, ammo can hanger and rear trunnion. Lastly, any suggestions on people who may be able to fab these parts?

I hope some of you experienced builders out there can help me out. I am currently in Afghanistan, so there is not a huge rush to get these things fabricated, but I would like to gather as much info as possible. Thanks.

#31 ·
Well the problem with the PKM conversion is there isn't much room in there for a striker setup anyway. A few years back when I was really trying to get this working I toyed with the idea of the "striker plate" which I learned was already done on the Swiss Pe57 (I think)? It is in one of my PKM discussions.

The other thought as I mentioned is to notch the bottom of a bolt carrier and use a different spring (perhaps AK spring) that is secured to the back via a vertical post that would clear the notch. Presto you made a short-spring PKM with room for the trigger group.

Only other thing I can figure is to use a dual-spring setup that is thinner than the standard, and is on both sides of the carrier. Allows clearance for a standard AK-style trigger group. The problem with THAT is that in my testing I couldn't find a good spring that would work well on both sides. IMO this is the best approach because it is the least labor-intensive, but locating the proper springs that work to operate the action is going to be the trick. Perhaps VZ-58 striker springs. Something of that diameter.

I got far enough to press the bulge in the bottom of my receiver shell but got distracted by Real Life and put it on the back burner. I would like to get cracking on it once again! :)

#35 ·
Actually I guess I should decide how I want to build mine first :D , I got one of the PKT kits and still trying to decide if I want to just keep it as a tripod mounted spade grip setup of do a heavy barreled PKM style.

#36 ·
Got my kit today. Have not unwrapped it all yet. The receiver is the worst de-mill I've seen so far & I have bought ALOT of different kits. I don't know how you can get a one inch gap cutting sheetmetal?? They must have made a few passes!
The barrel is about 28" How long is a PKM?

I still like the looks of this PKT/M build:

#37 ·
"How long" - I can't remember offhand but I thought I posted that on a previous discussion... well I can't find my information. HOWEVER, if you use the simple "fit the parts" process to start with the trunion and top cover, and space everything from there, you should be able to get a really close estimate.

#38 ·
I will try to post measurements in a few days on the OAL of a PKM. I am thinking of having a PKM profiled barrel with sights to use with a PKM top cover and then a PKT barrel that I will use with a PKT top cover that has a rail installed for a sight.

Bradrock, whats the condition of the other parts? I have a PKT kit sitting at home, just about 12,000miles too far to check it out.

#39 ·
I will try to post measurements in a few days on the OAL of a PKM. I am thinking of having a PKM profiled barrel with sights to use with a PKM top cover and then a PKT barrel that I will use with a PKT top cover that has a rail installed for a sight.

Bradrock, whats the condition of the other parts? I have a PKT kit sitting at home, just about 12,000miles too far to check it out.

#40 ·
The PKT kit looks pretty much brand new. There is some finish wear on the flash hider & three extra holes in the barrel. Even the end of the gas piston is shiny new.

If you use this barrel you would lose the de-mill hole near the muzzle by cutting the barrel shorter.That would leave two to repair. There are plenty of guys shooting the SG43 Gory guns with repaired barrels with zero issues after thousands of rounds.I may re-profile this one & plug the holes.
Of course one of the new ones from Prexis would be sweet also. I don't think his are fluted like the PKM. But he'll maybe do that for extra$.

I plan to get one of Pryotex's receivers & probably follow Dutigafs semi build.
I'm hoping RTG gets the front sights & bipods back in. Maybe even pop for a new topcover with the rear sight allready on it. Allthough a shame not to use the PKT topcover as it's like new condition. I may make the buttstock to save a little dough.
Maybe I could get a tracing from someone who has one in hand.

#41 ·
Beast, Prexis is offering a PKT barrel that is sized for all the PKT parts but setup to accept a PKM front sight, and he offers fluting as an option (yes there's a fee for this).
His base model barrel is a little shorter then the standard barrel too, he said something about a big price difference in longer blanks, he'd do them but it was like 100-150 difference.

As for the condition of the kits, mine is like Brad's, new or slightly used.

I'm in the same boat as both of you about the top cover, trying to decide if I want to watch for one with the sight or just put a rail on it.

#42 ·
Bradrock, I am not sure what your timeline is like, but I have a new PKM stock at home that i can give you the tracing for. Its going to be a couple months before I can do it though. I may be able to send you a tracing for a solid yugo stock if you would be interested in that. Send me a PM.

Since I have no experience plugging barrels, ill probably spring for a new one from Prexis. Fluting sounds interesting. I have not seen fluting on barrels here in country, although they appear to be yugo's and may be different.

Im excited to see the kit now. It's like waiting for Christmas. Except Santa used my wallet.

I wish RTG would get top covers back in stock. Their price seemed pretty reasonable. I have a friend doing some searching for a top cover now. I'll post if he comes across any that seem reasonably priced.

Still working on the measurements. Just have to remember to put a measuring tape in the kit next time we roll out.

#43 ·
Bradrock, I am not sure what your timeline is like, but I have a new PKM stock at home that i can give you the tracing for. Its going to be a couple months before I can do it though. I may be able to send you a tracing for a solid yugo stock if you would be interested in that. Send me a PM.

Since I have no experience plugging barrels, ill probably spring for a new one from Prexis. Fluting sounds interesting. I have not seen fluting on barrels here in country, although they appear to be yugo's and may be different.

Im excited to see the kit now. It's like waiting for Christmas. Except Santa used my wallet.

I wish RTG would get top covers back in stock. Their price seemed pretty reasonable. I have a friend doing some searching for a top cover now. I'll post if he comes across any that seem reasonably priced.

Still working on the measurements. Just have to remember to put a measuring tape in the kit next time we roll out.

#44 ·
I was looking through pictures of kits and completed weapons. This may sound like a stupid question, but how are the ejection port cover hinges attached to the receiver? Are they pressed into the receiver or part of a sub assembly? I notice that most blanks do not have these. Also, does anyone have prints for a receiver, or is everyone just drilling and cutting blanks based off of parts on hand? Obviously, FCG and the additional components to make it semi will pretty much be one-offs. But standard stuff like ejection port and the feed pawl assembly area should remain standard?

#45 ·
I'm doing mine by hand. Works well since the trunion + top cover shows you exactly where the rear trunion must be mounted :)

As I recall the ejection port hinge is attached by small tabs on the bottom of the rail that are turned out and bent in to form a loop for the hinge pin to sit in. Going from memory... may be incorrect on that. I have a good close-up on my site:

#50 ·
Yes, I've been checking RTG 10 times a day for several months. You need to do that, because when he gets anything in, it's gone in minutes or maybe hours at best.
I did just get a MG3 topcover for a MG47 build. After checking for months also.
There used to be a bunch of PKM parts on Gunbroker ,but it's slim pickens now. There seems to be a run on PKM parts & I bet Apex has sold a ton of PKT kits.Prexis is swamped with orders for barrels, so it's not just a couple of us wanting to put together PKT/M builds.

#54 ·
Pyrotex, are you providing templates with your blanks? I'll be trying to convert a PKT kit into a semi-PKM and I know that some of the parts aren't going to have corresponding sections on the demilled receiver. Like the rear trunnion for example or the ammo can hanger (if I ever find one).

#55 ·
I do offer the template for the PKM, the difference in the PKM to PKT can compared buy pre-marking the template with the PKT parts. I placed my parts on the template first making sure the proper holes lined up (Rear trunnion,Placed it so the rear lined up with the receiver and then needed to change two holes)
Pookie has a great comparison for that too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.