Gunco Forums banner

PKM Build: Parts Question

19K views 74 replies 7 participants last post by  BEAST26 
#1 ·
I have decided to take the plunge and try my hand at a semi PKM build. Looking through other threads and for parts online, I see that I am about 4 years too late on this band wagon. But hell, why not give it a shot.

Anyways, I am starting with a PKT parts kit and gathering the additional parts for a PKM build. I was wondering if anyone has any good links for PKM parts? Also, does anyone currently have any of the following parts that is willing to send critical dimensions so that I can have someone fabricate the parts. I am looking for: front sight assembly, front gas block, ammo can hanger and rear trunnion. Lastly, any suggestions on people who may be able to fab these parts?

I hope some of you experienced builders out there can help me out. I am currently in Afghanistan, so there is not a huge rush to get these things fabricated, but I would like to gather as much info as possible. Thanks.

#57 ·
Has anyone with a PKT kit tackled the issue of the ammo can holder? Part looks pretty simple to make if you have the time/materials. I see one for sale on gunbroker as part of a larger parts auction, but I am not willing to pay over $450 for just the one part i want.

#58 ·
I talked some of my Afghan partners into letting me mess around with their Yugo PKM for a little bit. Does anyone want specific pictures that they can't find?

Bradrock, the total length of this gun is 46 5/8". Hope that helps you.

Also, I took a look at the ejection port hinges. Looks like on the Yugo, the loop is formed and the ends are passed through the receiver and lower rail than bent out. Sounds a little different than how you guys were describing it. Maybe just a different method. Looks simple enough though.

#59 ·
I talked some of my Afghan partners into letting me mess around with their Yugo PKM for a little bit. Does anyone want specific pictures that they can't find?

Bradrock, the total length of this gun is 46 5/8". Hope that helps you.

Also, I took a look at the ejection port hinges. Looks like on the Yugo, the loop is formed and the ends are passed through the receiver and lower rail than bent out. Sounds a little different than how you guys were describing it. Maybe just a different method. Looks simple enough though.

#60 ·
Heck yeah! Pics of the internals with the top cover open. Always good to get close-up pics of that stuff.

Also exact placement location of the ejection port... measurement from the front of the receiver. I'd always planned to eyeball that to the right location...

Let's see... also exact placement of the pistol grip housing. I was going to use the tripod as a starting point for the "exact" location, but if you have the ability to measure it from the receiver that would be awesome.

#61 ·
Alright Pookie, I did my best to capture the information you requested in pics. Disclaimer: I am a grunt and not a photographer. I will add them in several posts due to my slow connection here. I will include all measurements in writing just in case they are not clear. I tried to get the internals from a few different angles to give you an idea. Let me know if your looking for something different. I should have access to this weapon at least 1 more day. I will take additional pictures as requested while I have access.

#63 ·
Here are some measurements until i can figure out how to post the pictures.

Distance from the front of the receiver to ejection port: 4 7/8"
Width of ejection port: just a hair over 3 1/2"
Height of ejection port: depends on where you want to call the bottom, but the opening is around 7/8" (pictures will show what i mean)

Trigger housing is 7 3/8" from front and 1 1/32" from rear.

#64 ·
How do I insert pics from the desktop without entering a URL?
Try this, go into advanced reply ("go advanced"), then scroll down to "manage attachments". When you click on that it will open a new window, in the upper right click on "add files", then "browse" and search for your pics on your pc.

I think that should work, but I haven't loaded any pics on the new site yet

#65 ·
It is going to be a few days before I can load the photos. But I was wondering if anyone knew the purpose for the small bracket inside the receiver located where the gas tube is inserted? My only guess is that it prevents the gas tube from being inserted too far, but its only a guess. I will try to include pictures when I post the others.

#66 ·
Ok, you guys are making me drool over a belt fed. I've been wanting to test the waters for awhile, and this thread might just make me jump.

By the way Beast, welcome aboard, and thank you for your service.

#67 ·
ive been held up a little bit on this PKM build... life just has a tendency to get in the way.

got some loose ends to tie up on a couple other builds along with the home projects .. then its full scale on this next PKM.

#68 ·
Thanks 2ndAmendican. I am pretty excited to get this build going when I get home. Maybe by the time I get going some others will be ready to go. I should be able to post the requested pictures tomorrow.

I saw on another thread some people were looking at how to put optics on the PKM. Just a thought but someone could probably put a standard AK rail on the receiver. The Yugo I was taking pictures of had a rail on the left side, but it looked a little different than a standard AK rail.

I also put 400rnds through that weapon the other day. Dream come true. Well maybe not a dream but it was AWESOME!

#69 ·
That's too cool. I'd love to fire an F/A version.

#71 ·
There is a new batch of buttstocks on Gunbroker right now. I bought one for $115.00. A bit more than RTG, but then they don't have any & I feel better having the bird in hand. I'm still needing a front sight & bipod. Can't afford a tripod right now even though there a couple nice ones also on GB.
One piece at a time! Heh..Heh

#72 ·
Bradrock, I picked up a brand new bipod for $130, including shipping. If your interested I will send my seller an email and see if he has more. I know he had a few when I ordered mine. I still have not had luck finding a front sight, but I guess we all will continue holding out until either RTG gets them back in stock or we find another source.

#73 ·
That would be swell Beast26. No hurry though ,it will be a couple weeks before I can buy the next part! Heh..Heh Disability checks don't last long with medical bills pouring in & Obamacare fucking up my insurance coverage, so deadbeats & illegals can get free stuff.

Thanks for your service! Get home safe !

Brad

#74 ·
Finally able to get the pics posted. Just figured I should put a disclaimer with these since you never know who is going to be checking them out. These pictures were taken in Afghanistan. The weapon does not belong to me nor is it in my possession. For educational purposes only. Trigger Gun accessory Gas Musical instrument accessory Air gun
Ruler Office ruler Automotive tire Bumper Measuring instrument
Trigger Air gun Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.