Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: PKM Build: Parts Question

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well the problem with the PKM conversion is there isn't much room in there for a striker setup anyway. A few years back when I was really trying to get this working I toyed with the idea of the "striker plate" which I learned was already done on the Swiss Pe57 (I think)? It is in one of my PKM discussions.

The other thought as I mentioned is to notch the bottom of a bolt carrier and use a different spring (perhaps AK spring) that is secured to the back via a vertical post that would clear the notch. Presto you made a short-spring PKM with room for the trigger group.

Only other thing I can figure is to use a dual-spring setup that is thinner than the standard, and is on both sides of the carrier. Allows clearance for a standard AK-style trigger group. The problem with THAT is that in my testing I couldn't find a good spring that would work well on both sides. IMO this is the best approach because it is the least labor-intensive, but locating the proper springs that work to operate the action is going to be the trick. Perhaps VZ-58 striker springs. Something of that diameter.

I got far enough to press the bulge in the bottom of my receiver shell but got distracted by Real Life and put it on the back burner. I would like to get cracking on it once again!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Im working on two different FCG's for this. Right now I know one works but Im trying another hammer but need to be further along before I share with everyone (No use if it will not work at all.)
    Pryotex is TEC Tactical, A Licensed 07/SOT

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thank you for fixing the link

I've seen a few builds so far, what kind of FCG setup did they use, or should I say what have others used that worked so far?
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

There is the striker fire and a modified AR hammer, Im working a different hammer fire right now but Time will tell. (It works on paper LOL)
    Pryotex is TEC Tactical, A Licensed 07/SOT

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Actually I guess I should decide how I want to build mine first , I got one of the PKT kits and still trying to decide if I want to just keep it as a tripod mounted spade grip setup of do a heavy barreled PKM style.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Got my kit today. Have not unwrapped it all yet. The receiver is the worst de-mill I've seen so far & I have bought ALOT of different kits. I don't know how you can get a one inch gap cutting sheetmetal?? They must have made a few passes!
    The barrel is about 28" How long is a PKM?

I still like the looks of this PKT/M build:
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

"How long" - I can't remember offhand but I thought I posted that on a previous discussion... well I can't find my information. HOWEVER, if you use the simple "fit the parts" process to start with the trunion and top cover, and space everything from there, you should be able to get a really close estimate.

Feedback Score

I will try to post measurements in a few days on the OAL of a PKM. I am thinking of having a PKM profiled barrel with sights to use with a PKM top cover and then a PKT barrel that I will use with a PKT top cover that has a rail installed for a sight.

Bradrock, whats the condition of the other parts? I have a PKT kit sitting at home, just about 12,000miles too far to check it out.

Feedback Score

I will try to post measurements in a few days on the OAL of a PKM. I am thinking of having a PKM profiled barrel with sights to use with a PKM top cover and then a PKT barrel that I will use with a PKT top cover that has a rail installed for a sight.

Bradrock, whats the condition of the other parts? I have a PKT kit sitting at home, just about 12,000miles too far to check it out.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

The PKT kit looks pretty much brand new. There is some finish wear on the flash hider & three extra holes in the barrel. Even the end of the gas piston is shiny new.

If you use this barrel you would lose the de-mill hole near the muzzle by cutting the barrel shorter.That would leave two to repair. There are plenty of guys shooting the SG43 Gory guns with repaired barrels with zero issues after thousands of rounds.I may re-profile this one & plug the holes.
    Of course one of the new ones from Prexis would be sweet also. I don't think his are fluted like the PKM. But he'll maybe do that for extra$.

I plan to get one of Pryotex's receivers & probably follow Dutigafs semi build.
    I'm hoping RTG gets the front sights & bipods back in. Maybe even pop for a new topcover with the rear sight allready on it. Allthough a shame not to use the PKT topcover as it's like new condition. I may make the buttstock to save a little dough.
    Maybe I could get a tracing from someone who has one in hand.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Search tags for this page

pkm build

semi pkm build

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.