Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: PKM garage build tutorial

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Any chance you can post up some FCG pics? Curious how you addressed the spring location

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

its all covered in the tutorial... the FCG & spring are done on Trenches set up.

take the old bufer/rod out & save it for another day.

i used a piece of 1/4" pipe 8" long.. turned it down just a hair so it slid in the carrier... turned a small lip on the front edge to hold the spring..... drilled the carrier out as far as i could to the front to give spring room.. the 1/4" pipe holds the spring in the front all inside the carrier.. this gives you enough spring to do the job but no extra.. so try longer and work your way down...

then put a slot in the pipe for your hammer to swing up thru. extend your ar hammer to the length you need for your FCG position.

Trenchy will have no problem with me posting this pic: hammer in cocked position.jpg

i purposely didnt go into details of Trenchy's set up for 2 reasons: every single one of these we have set up has been different & needed different numbers & 2nd because we are working on a totally different FCG option that you'll see me post pretty soon. its a drop in option for people who cant handle making their own or just dont want to....
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

couldnt get the rod pic to go in there......

but heres the spring rod combo & the hammer when it swings thru....

Trenchy came up with a very solid set up here & the alternate group will still use the same spring/rod combo.. but a different FCG & attachment point.

dsci0038bv.jpgdsci0034l.jpg

oh btw: Trenchy used a solid 1/2" bar for his.... on mine i went with the 1/4" pipe to lighten the weight... same set up ... same result.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Dutigaf - looking good. Makes me want to get a PKM kit.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

AHHHHHHHH Ok thanks for those pics. I searched and couldn't find "trenchy fcg" no matter what I typed in

So in a nutshell that's an adaptation of the MG42 setup... shorten the spring, put an extension in it to make clearance for the hammer. Makes sense to me now!

Now a thought - a while back the MG42 guys were getting custom springs made up. Might be something worth considering if you find that spring doesn't hold up over time. I want to say it was Wolff springs that did up replacements but I could be wrong.

I have bought some similar-sized springs from McMaster-Carr, which I intended to adopt for use with my PKM build. Kind of got busy with other things and WOW a few years have suddenly passed! Need to get back on the job with that sucker.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Poookie,

the good news is that its just the factory PKM spring.... so you dont have to buy anything..

better news is that the factory PKM spring is also the factory GORY spring & DP 28 spring... :-) very common, very cheap... even better news is that these are available brand new from Greg Clark who had a pile of them made.

im sure we could find other springs or have a custom one made for the build, but in keeping it simple & easy for anyone to do i chose to stick with what was already there.

hang in there & check out the other FCG set up when i post that part.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Sean -- That's some great work!! My apologies if I just missed it, but does this one need compliance parts? I'm with you on the Bridgeport; by the time I've done the set up it would be finished by hand.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

thanks!

sure we can run thru it.

compliance wise its a "crew serviced weapon" so its exempt....

but for argument wise im compliant anyway. :-) not enough foreign parts & these are my US parts. (5)

receiver= us
    hammer=us
    trigger= us
    sear/discon= us
    FP=US
    FCG body/cage=US

then if needed can do US in (3 possible):

pistol grip
    muzzle break
    gas piston/oprod

being belt fed there is no mag body, floor plate or follower to deal with....

that would only leave as foreign (3):

bolt
    carrier
    barrel

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ok... its been video day... so here is the quick semi video with demon Dave on the trigger in a nice rainy/cold/windy ohio day....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Still makes me giggle
    Pryotex is TEC Tactical, A Licensed 07/SOT

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.