Gunco Forums banner

PKM garage build tutorial

30K views 98 replies 17 participants last post by  dutigaf 
#1 ·
hey guys ive almost got the PKM tutorial completed...

its lacking about 5 pictures and the test fire video, but that will be a little bit from now..

ive already fired it and ran a bunch thru, its more about getting the finish on it & so on.

its a fairly involved tutorial & ive got it hosted on WG & the pix are all on that set up.

if we get a lot of response here then i'll post up the entire build over here.

its just a lot of work to repost/host it all here.... if only 1 or 2 people can use it.

thanks!

s

link: http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=44153.0

#33 ·
thanks! we went out and put another couple of belts thru it...

the plan is to get to 1,000 rnds then tear it down & check everything over to see if theres any stress or wear at any of the points...

we are only at 250rnds now... if ammo was a lot cheaper it would be so much fun to just burn the 1K rnds up in 1 sitting...

#39 ·
YES!

it is good to see you on here Pookie! & you too Stalker. :)

i love the PKM's & would build more of them if i had kits.... with Pryotex' shell this is really a pretty easy build.

#44 ·
So is that an FFL item or just the shell (hate to call it "80%")??? What must one do to get one? I have a channel for which I've messed around with the bulge for the feed pawl, but that's about as far as I got. Nice to see there are options other than the VLTOR which I was never impressed with... didn't like the machined rail section.

#46 ·
Pooks,

not much i can ad to that.. Tony just covered it. :)

mine was done as a '80%" non firearm... but things we learned were to not trust ANY existing template out there on the sites.... there are quite a few different manufacturing set ups on these and you need to check your trunny holes very closely to see which ones you have.

the rest of the stuff was prefect on locations, but since im kinda OCDish... i triple checked all my locations anyway. now that ive done these, it wouldnt be a big deal to do more if i had more kits. this really gets it down to about the level of what we had on early "roll your own" AK building. but shooting these are much more fun.

#47 ·
Thanks for the update! I'm always interested in BIY stuff of course :) I created a bulge in my channel but it isn't as pretty. In retrospect perhaps I should have heated the area first to make it softer and easier to stretch. I have some raw materials for the charging handle channel as well as the rails, but I didn't get that far. My plans are to actually buy a house here in COS and set up my garage.

But if there's a non-receiver w/ precut charging handle brackets etc. that would be useful ;)

#49 ·
Pookie,

Yeah Pryotex's receiver has the charging handle slot & the cone on it... so all you have to do is top inner rail install & make your rivet holes and mounts.. then put it all together... pretty easy build this way.

#50 ·
Very cool - I might be talked into building one before I get my shop "unpacked" :) Still need to get enough parts unpacked to use my milling machine to machine the slot in that stand-off bar for the trigger. Unfortunately, I have like 40 boxes from my garage, and the idiots that packed them labeled each and every one of them as "tools" LOL

I found my box of press plates and other parts for bending. I actually bought some large steel bars to fabricate a bending mandrel for the top rails. Since I've only handled a VLTOR I have only had pictures to reference the real deal. Looks like the top of the receiver shell is bent, then top rails installed via spot welds. I need to dig up my reference info as I don't know where I put some of my notes.

I was going down the path of using thinner springs on both bottom corners of the carrier, then putting a retainer plate on the backside of the carrier for the springs to work against. There is a machining hole on the back of the carrier to which I could attach the plate. There isn't much room there of course but I was thinking a small enough spring (say for example a VZ58 spring) on both sides should have enough force to cycle the action. But all that is going to take time to verify it would function with that configuration and not interfere with the feed pawls. And of course fabrication for the spring retainer plate. It would free up the middle section however and leave plenty of room for a hammer.

#51 ·
if you look close at the builds by me, Trenches, TRE & Pryotex... you get to use your factory spring & location just by boring the carrier deeper and using a set back method.

way way easier than trying to go the other route.

BUT if you just want to say you did it with your own original idea? i totally get that too.

#58 ·
I needed to re-rivet the ejector on this Valtor receiver. (Not my work) I got it working smooth now. Now I will get it to the range and check the Gas system.
[video=youtube_share;SGmde7xX6qo]http://youtu.be/SGmde7xX6qo[/video]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.