Gunco Forums banner

PKM garage build tutorial

30K views 98 replies 17 participants last post by  dutigaf 
#1 ·
hey guys ive almost got the PKM tutorial completed...

its lacking about 5 pictures and the test fire video, but that will be a little bit from now..

ive already fired it and ran a bunch thru, its more about getting the finish on it & so on.

its a fairly involved tutorial & ive got it hosted on WG & the pix are all on that set up.

if we get a lot of response here then i'll post up the entire build over here.

its just a lot of work to repost/host it all here.... if only 1 or 2 people can use it.

thanks!

s

link: http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=44153.0

#5 ·
I do not know much about the PKM and not really interested in doing one myself, but I got to hand it to yah BUD ( isn't what you call me) I actually went over to WG check it out, we all have had bad experiences with rivets

keep up the good work
talent is talent oh I checked out the website too very interesting

#7 ·
Pookie i thought you were already a member there.....? i'll PM it to you.

if we have enough people here who actually still want to talk about building guns.... i'll do the work to post it here. its just a lot of work if only a couple people who are members both places want to see it.

SPrat,

thanks bud. LMAO i dont actually have any real "talent". my builds are always based around keeping it as simple as possible to where the build can be done with minimal tooling.

this is kinda like an upside down AK on steroids. :)

#8 ·
finally got off my a$$ & went outside ... grabbed a pic and here it is... right now the finish is just duracoat on the receiver, still gotta get the whole thing to match in either duracoat or black oxide.

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun Camera accessory

click if you want to see it bigger...

#32 ·
finally got off my a$$ & went outside ... grabbed a pic and here it is... right now the finish is just duracoat on the receiver, still gotta get the whole thing to match in either duracoat or black oxide.

View attachment 36482

click if you want to see it bigger...
Very Nice!

#9 ·
sweet

I could just see you driving up I-95 and getting stopped by some local sheriff going WTF

still sweet
yes you have talent lets not be bashful of all the wannabe's over at WG you stand above them all ( except me :) )

#10 ·
thanks for the compliment!

but i really have to give TRENCHES the huge pile of credit on this: as i used his FCG design with the AR group and just made a housing for it to all work....

as posted there: i DO have another option that im getting ready to run thru for those who cant make their own lower FCG or box set up. i should have it this week & then its just about making sure it all fits up and mounting it..

will get people into a complete, useable FCG for under $150 that they can just weld/rivet or screw on.. ready to go! :)

#12 ·
its all covered in the tutorial... the FCG & spring are done on Trenches set up.

take the old bufer/rod out & save it for another day.

i used a piece of 1/4" pipe 8" long.. turned it down just a hair so it slid in the carrier... turned a small lip on the front edge to hold the spring..... drilled the carrier out as far as i could to the front to give spring room.. the 1/4" pipe holds the spring in the front all inside the carrier.. this gives you enough spring to do the job but no extra.. so try longer and work your way down...

then put a slot in the pipe for your hammer to swing up thru. extend your ar hammer to the length you need for your FCG position.

Trenchy will have no problem with me posting this pic: Wood Trigger Musical instrument Gun barrel Metal

i purposely didnt go into details of Trenchy's set up for 2 reasons: every single one of these we have set up has been different & needed different numbers & 2nd because we are working on a totally different FCG option that you'll see me post pretty soon. its a drop in option for people who cant handle making their own or just dont want to....

#13 ·
couldnt get the rod pic to go in there......

but heres the spring rod combo & the hammer when it swings thru....

Trenchy came up with a very solid set up here & the alternate group will still use the same spring/rod combo.. but a different FCG & attachment point.

Automotive exterior Wood Bumper Electric blue Composite material
Air gun Trigger Bumper Shotgun Wood

oh btw: Trenchy used a solid 1/2" bar for his.... on mine i went with the 1/4" pipe to lighten the weight... same set up ... same result.

#14 ·
Dutigaf - looking good. Makes me want to get a PKM kit. :)

#15 ·
AHHHHHHHH Ok thanks for those pics. I searched and couldn't find "trenchy fcg" no matter what I typed in :(

So in a nutshell that's an adaptation of the MG42 setup... shorten the spring, put an extension in it to make clearance for the hammer. Makes sense to me now! :)

Now a thought - a while back the MG42 guys were getting custom springs made up. Might be something worth considering if you find that spring doesn't hold up over time. I want to say it was Wolff springs that did up replacements but I could be wrong.

I have bought some similar-sized springs from McMaster-Carr, which I intended to adopt for use with my PKM build. Kind of got busy with other things and WOW a few years have suddenly passed! Need to get back on the job with that sucker.

#16 ·
Poookie,

the good news is that its just the factory PKM spring.... so you dont have to buy anything..

better news is that the factory PKM spring is also the factory GORY spring & DP 28 spring... :) very common, very cheap... even better news is that these are available brand new from Greg Clark who had a pile of them made.

im sure we could find other springs or have a custom one made for the build, but in keeping it simple & easy for anyone to do i chose to stick with what was already there.

hang in there & check out the other FCG set up when i post that part.

#17 ·
Sean -- That's some great work!! My apologies if I just missed it, but does this one need compliance parts? I'm with you on the Bridgeport; by the time I've done the set up it would be finished by hand.

#18 ·
thanks!

sure we can run thru it. :chinese:

compliance wise its a "crew serviced weapon" so its exempt....

but for argument wise im compliant anyway. :) not enough foreign parts & these are my US parts. (5)

receiver= us
hammer=us
trigger= us
sear/discon= us
FP=US
FCG body/cage=US

then if needed can do US in (3 possible):

pistol grip
muzzle break
gas piston/oprod

being belt fed there is no mag body, floor plate or follower to deal with....

that would only leave as foreign (3):

bolt
carrier
barrel

#19 ·
ok... its been video day... so here is the quick semi video with demon Dave on the trigger in a nice rainy/cold/windy ohio day....

[video=youtube;onNdAfLd6jM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onNdAfLd6jM[/video]

[video=youtube;onNdAfLd6jM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onNdAfLd6jM[/video]

#21 ·
which part makes you giggle?

that its demon dave doing the shooting?

my hick accent?

or that the TecTactical receiver works that good? :bleh:

#22 ·
Looks like it shoots good. :)

#24 ·
hee hee....

yeah i never get that ... people want stuff.. cant stand to wait... but then they get it.... & crickets chirp...

more people need to post up when they successfully build stuff! if nothing else just to let the originators of the parts know they work. cause its for sure if there is a problem someone will let you know. LMAO

this was a really good build to do with just the basic problem solving you have in any other from scratch deal. the rivets were nothing like doing an AK or PSL & that was a huge surprise/learning experience. so were the difference in tolerance & just the order of which you should do first in the build line..

but i would love to have a couple more of these cause 2 semi PKM's just doesnt seem to be enough.

edit note: i do still need to go back and put an ejection cover flap on this and will do that soon as i find a viable option.. to me a $50 door flap is just not gonna happen.

#28 ·
So far Sean is the only "completed" video I saw. I sold a bunch of receivers and he knocked it out in a few weeks. There is a Crap load of building going on there just havent seen my receivers that much.
I do have two to build myself but need to finish up the new shop first and get some cans out the door.

#29 ·
LMAO..... i thought Tony was the "pet moderator"?

but back to the PKM build..... on the TecTactical receiver? im probably the first to actually do it & post that its done.... there have been some rewelds done by Trenchy & Doubletapme among others.....

i did spend a couple of hours on different weekends to get it built & then it was a month later before i got to the video... actual build time was pretty quick. now this new alternative FCG that you saw me ad in? thats just giving everyone an extra option.

if its in your build plan to start with? then your gonna have even less time than i did in the build as you dont have to make the FCG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.