Gunco Forums banner

CAI Fal recievers

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  scubadvr 
#1 ·
Has anyone used either an inch or metric receiver from CAI to do a build? If so how were they? Any problems? Thanks Jack

#2 ·
Jack--I can't keep the players straight.

I'll look, but I think the two L1A1 I 've got were on Imbel.

#3 ·
From what I've read on FAL Files, the Century receivers are bargain priced but require you to do some actual gunsmithing work to get any reliability out of them.

The big problems reported were with the feed ramps, the so-called unibrow over the gas piston hole, locking shoulder hole is tight, the bolt rails are tight, the magwell is sometimes tight.

Check out this link on FAL Files for better info:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97998

#4 ·
Rhino_66 said:
From what I've read on FAL Files, the Century receivers are bargain priced but require you to do some actual gunsmithing work to get any reliability out of them.

The big problems reported were with the feed ramps, the so-called unibrow over the gas piston hole, locking shoulder hole is tight, the bolt rails are tight, the magwell is sometimes tight.

Check out this link on FAL Files for better info:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97998
Thanks for the info. I have orderd to inch pattern and one metric and wanted to know if there were problems that I could correct. I think for my STG 58 I am going to get a DSA type 2. I like fals almost as much as aks. Jack

#5 ·
scubadvr said:
I think for my STG 58 I am going to get a DSA type 2. I like fals almost as much as aks. Jack
I guarantee you will NOT be disappointed with the DSA receiver. I ordered 2 Imbel kits from Gunthings.com. The kits that I got were the "good" condition bore versions, and there isn't the slightest imperfection on either one. Both of these are going to get DSA type 1 receivers (I'm still saving up for that purchase...). I have a third kit that I bought on eBay the middle of last year. The bore is kind of crappy near the muzzle, but is fine further back. I think I'll shorten that one to 17" and use one of the Coonan or maybe Imbel Gear type 3 for it.

I like the FAL because the .308 is great to shoot. The adjustable gas on the FAL makes functionality great with different ammo. My first FAL was Imbel (bought on eBay early in 2003) on DSA type 1 and it came out great. The thing is damn accurate and I'm going to drop a few more $$$ for a decent scope.

Post some pics when you get them assembled, especially the STG. The fake STG muzzle pieces look okay but I prefer the real deal...

BTW, Ironwood is going to be running another batch of FAL stock sets. There is a signup post on FAL Files if you're interested... It's a lot of money, but it's a helluva lot purtier than those penguin sets.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108748

#6 ·
scubadvr,
No one can knock DSA's quality and appearance but it definately comes at a price premium. While the CAI recievers are just more Hesse crap (I know my first build was on a hesse, never again! Although after alot of work that stg is one of my most accurate)If your looking for qaulity to dollar its hard to beat Imbel, if you have to have type1 I'd at least look at the coonan before putting down twice the money on DSA. I've built on all of the above with the exception of DSA and if I build another it will probably be a DSA just to have one in the collection (I have a primo izzy L1A1 waiting patiently) I've heard DSA is working on an inch reciever.
Well thats my two cents.
Feel free to pm me if there are any question about my builds.
70ss396

#7 ·
Thanks for the info. I have finished my G1 with a CAI receiver. It seems to be ok but I have to wait to go to the range to see. Perhaps I will try some dummy rounds first. I really like the G1 have a couple of other kits yet to build along with some L1A1s. I am saving my STG for a DSA reciever type two. I can't wait until the Gun Parts Guy gets his site up and running. Perhaps we can convince him to move a little stonger in to AKs as well. Jack

#8 ·
Jack, I ordered the inter-ordinance kit one month ago but have not heard anything from them. How did the build go?

#10 ·
Have you guys looked at the Coonan receiver that FAC sells?
It's a Type 1 receiver that matches the StG 58 and looks more original than the DSA type 2 or the Imbel type 3. I have used them and they are well made and fair priced.

#13 ·
Yes the Austrian stuff is nice. Also very pricey.

Wasn't that kit something like $500?

We'll see what and if Inner Ordinance comes up with.

#14 ·
Winn R said:
Yes the Austrian stuff is nice. Also very pricey.

Wasn't that kit something like $500?

We'll see what and if Inner Ordinance comes up with.

No, it was $300.00. Go the the web site and check them out. I got one, they are sweet! Jack

#15 ·
A guy I have gone shooting with a few times (probably would go more often if we weren't about an hour and a half from each other), has a CAI fal. He bought it and it needed tweaking - but from seeing it shoot and the groups he gets with it it is a definite tack driver. The thing I remember him saying is that of all his FALs this is the one he had to do the most work to.

#17 ·
Jack--It never came in. I should call and find out what's happening.

And the last time I was in Key West, the only folks as cute as your wife were male.

Which brings to mind an evening in Bangkok...

#18 ·
scubadvr said:
Thanks for the info. I have finished my G1 with a CAI receiver. It seems to be ok but I have to wait to go to the range to see. Perhaps I will try some dummy rounds first. I really like the G1 have a couple of other kits yet to build along with some L1A1s. I am saving my STG for a DSA reciever type two. I can't wait until the Gun Parts Guy gets his site up and running. Perhaps we can convince him to move a little stonger in to AKs as well. Jack
I'm here now! And the site is up and running. And I do have AK parts now. They have their very own catagory. I have US G1 and G2 FCG's plus Other AK goodies. Thanks for turning me onto this board Jack! Cool smilies here! :wave: :newbie: :hndgun:

#20 ·
yosuthnmasa said:
Nice website! Will you ever have FAL parts kits?
Right now kits are kinda scarce. DSA has STG kits. :fal: And they are always for sale on the FAL files it seems. Right now the ATF is holding several thousand Imbel kits for political reasons. :bull: When those get released expect a bunch of them at decent prices. I hope I can get some myself in bulk when they do!

#21 ·
Gunpartsguy said:
I'm here now! And the site is up and running. And I do have AK parts now. They have their very own catagory. I have US G1 and G2 FCG's plus Other AK goodies. Thanks for turning me onto this board Jack! Cool smilies here! :wave: :newbie: :hndgun:
Guys, James aka the Gun Parts Guy is a good person to deal with. He has an old fashon belief of service, and is a gun person to boot. I have purchased lots of fal stuff from him, NEVER disappointed. Please check him out and make him feel a part of the group.

James, watch out for WinnR, Cephus, Sang, and really watch out for Max (7.62).... really, they are just a few of those that make this board rock big time!!! Jack (John)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.