Gunco Forums banner

FAL Imbel upper receivers?

5K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  scubadvr 
#1 ·
I bought a Imbel FAL kit a few months ago in anticipation of the ban. I didn't know much about building a FAL but I knew I wanted one and that time was short. Now that I've collected all the kits, I'm looking at buying the parts to build them up. The one thing I neglected to pick up was a upper receiver!

Where can I find an Imbel receiver?

I figure I can make the US parts count up with other parts, and I like the idea of a Imbel kit built on an Imbel receiver.

#3 ·
DSA absolutely the best Type 1 and Type 2 but I'd give the edge for the best available Type 3 to Imbel for the sole fact that they are drop forged receivers. Last I saw DSA machined from drop forged ingot - there is a difference when it comes to grain patterns. Can't go wrong with either choice though.

Look on Falfiles or post WTB there under market place. Probably gonna run ya 3 bills for Imbel. You can also get the DSA for around the same price and adds to US parts count

#6 ·
The DSA's will be fit and finished much better than the Imbels, which will usually have some machine marks left over.

Talking to a buddy of mine who builds a lot of FAL's, he has been less than happy with some of the later manufactured Imbels. The machinery is getting old and apparently he's had to "massage" the receivers a lot more than he has had to in the past to get them right.

Having said that, the Imbels are fine receivers.

Dealer Warehouse should be about the only outlet for them.

One other thing to consider.........the DSA, while being a superior product in my opinion, is also a US part, one less that you have to worry about when building.

#7 ·
Did Dealers Warehouse ever come thru with the Imbel receivers they were anticipating?

Classic Arms got a couple of small shipments of Imbels in the past 2-3 months.

MGS also had a few a month or so back.

There's a vendor (Court) on Falfiles that gets a few every now and then also

BTW - I'd never hesitate buying a DSA FAL receiver. I do like an excellent Type 3 Imbel kit mounted on a nice Gear Logo Imbel receiver. It also just looks right

If the parts kit was a type 1 or 2 STG FAL or a G1, then I'd go for the DSA receiver without a doubt

I'd also agree that the fit and finish is better on the DSA, but I still like the fact that the Imbel is a stronger receiver for being dropped forged. The DSA is a harder receiver all in all due to the reason that is if fully heat treated.

#11 ·
The biggest reason you might want to get an Imbel is so your Imbel kit will be all Imbel. Other than that a DSA is pretty nice. I just built an STG58 on a Entreprise and it went real well. It is a type 1 receiver and has the STG58 stamped on the side so it looks pretty nice. To each there own though and I'm sure some won't like the Entreprise no matter what. Just my .02

#12 ·
I'd go along with what Radkoch pointed out. Even though the build will still be basically a "parts gun", having all Imbel parts (minus the min US ones) will be a plus in some circles.

A few years from now, the DSA receivers and other US made ones will still be around, but Imbels will be rare and sought after by those wanting an all Imbel gun. Just something to keep in mind.

I got two more Imbel receivers from Classic when they got them in a month or so back. They both looked as good as the others I've purchased over the years. Wish I had gone for four now.

#17 ·
Snook said:
There is a dealer in my area that has 3 Logo receivers.......problem is he wants nearly 400.00 each for them. I could probably get all three for a grand. Been thinking about it as investment............Hmmmmmmm.
i found 3 imbel gear logos locally my self he wanted $300 each so i got one on layaway.finally ill be able to get the damm thing built.i figur every where else wants $270-$290 then you have to pay all the shipping so $300 locally really aint that bad.

#18 ·
Gone are the days when you could call FAC and order an Imbel gear logo receiver for $179. Wish I had bought a gross of them then.

DaFixer, you can build that kit on any FAL receiver be it a type I, II, or III. It's just a cosmetic difference you'll see where the upper receiver meets the lower receiver and it's not that obvious.

All of my kits right now were meant for type I or II receivers.

There's still hope. Entreprise makes a type III and who knows, perhaps DCI will come out with one, but I think their focus is just the type I.

#19 ·
I can only say that my imbel built on an imbel rec. went together very easy w/no massaging other than re-timing the bbl.But that was three years ago,when imbel receivers were easy to come by.I've seen imbels built on dsa recs. and was very impressed.

#22 ·
radkoch said:
The biggest reason you might want to get an Imbel is so your Imbel kit will be all Imbel. Other than that a DSA is pretty nice. I just built an STG58 on a Entreprise and it went real well. It is a type 1 receiver and has the STG58 stamped on the side so it looks pretty nice. To each there own though and I'm sure some won't like the Entreprise no matter what. Just my .02

Did you have any problem with the Entreprise? How was the fit and finish?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.