Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: anyone tried diy FAL upper?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

FAL receivers are also differencially heat treated, the back portion is softer than the area around the locking shoulder or the chamber area.
    "RPG kaboom tank!"

Comrade Soldier Koverchenko

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Hrm I was thinking that I could send it away to have those areas heat treated. Maybe even a local place that could do that for me...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

An email from Dan Coonan, as posted on falfiles -->

We have done a fair amount of hardness testing of various FAL type receivers. The only receivers that should be used as a benchmark or standard are the Imbel commercial and contract (military) receivers and the various receiver remnants
    found on rifle kits. The most common of these receiver remnants is the front end section; still attached to the barrel. We have just recently
    seen center sections and back end sections from L1A1 and G1 rifles. Here is the scoop in a nutshell: All Imbels and contract (military)
    receivers are SOFT!!!!!! LESS THAN 20 (TWENTY!) Rockwell 'C' Scale, with the EXCEPTION of the UNDERLUG/LOCKING LUG AREA. The Underlug/Locking Lug area has been spot treated by either induction or resistance heating to the critical or transformation temperature and quenched ; no tempering. The result is a hard spot, about 57 Rc, blending to 18 -20 Rc within 1/2 inch radius. Our best engineering analyses of this spot treatment (and we sent our head engineer on an all
    Ireland Pub Crawl BEFORE he kissed the Blarney Stone!) is this: They wanted the locking lug something better than dead soft - around 25-30
    Rc. So they spot hardened and quenched. By eliminating a Draw or Tempering operation, they saved BIG BUCKS! - and that's the only reason
    it's 57 Rc and not 25 Rc.
    Our parts are Normalized, Hardened, Drawn - three different heat-treat operations - to 25 to 30 Rc and then fully machined in this hardened condition. We have tried other methods. This is the most predictable. DSA receivers measure 25 -30 Rc anywhere and everywhere. Some people
    claim their receivers are 'rock hard' - they fail to claim they have rocks in their head!
    As an added note, this is an extremely hard part to check accurately. We have been forced to SECTION parts and prepare them for hardness
    evaluation. The inclination is that the parts measure softer than they are due to part movement while testing, and the heat-treater making them
    harder because of the lower readings, This can be SO MUCH FUN!!!!
    I have more to say, but I think I'll have a pint of Guinness before the Blarney wears off!
    Thanks for giving me this opportunity!
    Dan Coonan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.