Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: anyone tried diy FAL upper?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default anyone tried diy FAL upper?

With the shortage of FAL receivers stretching on, I'm sort of surprised I haven't heard of anyone machining their own. I have a complete blueprint, but I dont have the tools or skills. There's a lot of talent here on Gunco, anyone thought about this? (of course I'm not talking about selling or anything constituting manufacturing, thats a given.)

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

I'm sort of surprised a real 80% solution has not come along. It being .308 I figure liablity is a big factor in this though. The .308 is a hot one and if something went wrong it could be a big lawsuit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have a buddy who built up one of the "80%" receivers....he's a master machinist and he told me it was closer to being a 40% receiver.

He actually built it up into a .358 Winchester....basically a .308 Win. blown out to 9mm....so it's a 9x51mm.

Takes standard FAL 20 round mags too.

He had the "Model" engraved on it as "Mjollnir". That's Thor's Hammer.

Very cool.......but he cationed me that it was a VERY serious undertaking, not for the faint of heart.
    "RPG kaboom tank!"

Comrade Soldier Koverchenko

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I bought several of the raw castings from Tapco back when they were on sale for about $14. Plan was to machine them out for pistol caliber conversions. Lots of machine time involved in these, the heat treat will be critical. Several people have documented their progress (or lack thereof) on the FALFiles. Bottom line, unless you have a milling machine and the knowledge to use it this project is not for you.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

True, all true.. my thinking on this was that surely theres some accomplished machinists here, and that the companies that make (made) the receivers arent doing any magic, so I kind of figured it should be doable by somebody comptent in the machine shop. Mainly, I've had my FAL parts under the foot of the bed for about a year and a half (at least) and wishing I had picked up one of the Imbel receivers back when I could have. Now I'm scouring the gun shows, and waiting for Coonan. I'm curious to see what kind of pricing he'll have compared to DSA.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

They are definitely do-able, but one of the major problems is a lack of a complete and correct blueprint. There are several "reverse engineered" prints out there, but so far all are missing critical info or are just incorrect.

The manufacturers also use CNC machining centers, it's a lot cheaper and faster to just clamp a chunk of metal in the machine and remove a completed receiver 5 minutes later. Takes a little longer on a manual mill when you have to setup for each cut individually. Unless you batch operations and crank them out in the 100s, economy of scale will always favor the manufacturer and price a small scale machinist right out of the game. Doing one for yourself is one thing.....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    "No honey, that old thing, I've had that for years"
    Kalashnikov Georgia Builders
    member # 047

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

COOL! $35 and some shop time and presto you have another FAL.

Know if heat treating is needed, or does a FAL rely on mass without heat treated sections?
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    COOL! $35 and some shop time and presto you have another FAL.

Know if heat treating is needed, or does a FAL rely on mass without heat treated sections?
    They are heat treated. I thought about it myself untill i realized it would probably be cheaper to just go buy one finished.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

yeah apparently they should be heat treated to 40 rockwell C. Although since I'm not knowledgeable or otherwise trained in the metalurgical arts, I wouldnt know how to do that..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.