Gunco Forums banner

Fal won't cycle ???

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  DrugRunR 
#1 ·
I bought this gun at the pawn shop it looks nice but I went to the range today and it won't cycle a round. You have to pull the bolt back after you fire a round after I fired about five the bolt got kind of tight like it was in a bind????? I don't really want to take it back but I paid 400.00 for it and I think for that price it should work right...

#3 ·
In front of the front sight is the gas plug, it's pretty common to have it up side down. There should be a line or some indicator on the outside, if you take out the plug you should see a tapered groove 180 to that indicator. When you install the plug rotate it so that the wide part of the taper is toward the barrel. Just behind the front sight should be a ring with numbers. That is the gas regulator, it will have kind of slope to it as it's rotated(this bleeds off gas to compensate for different loads and other conditions) it may be on full bleed and not sending enough gas to motivate the piston. It will need to be adjusted for your ammo. Also check to see if the recoil spring plunger is clean of excess lube, my brothers old FAL had a pant load of cosmoline in there and he had all sorts of trouble till it was cleaned out. After all that's checked only use enough gas to action the gun, I usually go 1 round at a time. Load one then fire, if the bolt hold open doesn't engage, close off the gas knob a couple clicks then try another round till the bolt hold open engages then I usually go one more click. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

#6 ·
on the reciever it says L1A1 sporter reciever made by IMBEL Brazil imported by cai st alb Vt . It looks like the the gas port adjust is all the way closed .I think I am just going to send it to Salbo and let him fix it....

#8 ·
It's more than likely just the gas plug in the grenade launch position. If it is an L1A1 version the plug will have a hole in it instead of the slot on the metric version. It's best to figure this out for yourself now, otherwise you will be sending the rifle off to be "fixed" every time you clean it and reassemble it improperly, which is real easy to do if you are not familiar with the gas plug nuances.

#9 ·
I think it needs to be gone over by a gunsmith any way. I can take apart a ak-47 in the dark and put it back together but I have no Idea where to start on FAL

#11 ·
before you ship it to Salbo, go back to the range.
If the gas reg nut is turned all the way shut then all of the gas should be going back to cycle the bolt.
Sounds like the Gas plug is turned the wrong way.
Turn the gas plug the other way and set the regulator on 5 or 6
Fire a couple of rounds and see what you got.
Keep in mind that the regulator needs to be adjusted for each brand of ammo you shoot. Yes, you can set it so it will shoot everything, but then it will beat your shoulder to death.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.