Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building a Fal

Feedback Score

Thanks for the reply's. I think Im gonna try to buy one in the next few weeks. Bassettjm, I would be glad to help you with the riveting. I think its the easiest part of the rebuild. Mcmaster & Carr sell plain steel rivets in the correct lentgh for $7 something per 100. So, very inexpensive. I use a bolt cutter rivet tool for the small rivets and a press for the long rivets.

If and when I get a Fal kit, I'll post pics.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Akron Armory

If you do not care about MATCHING NUMBERS,..you won't mind a NON-MATCHING FACE when the improperly head spaced rifle goes.....BOOM!

He's 100% correct, but still funny
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bassettjm
    He is 100% right on the headspacing issue...However, on an FAL barrel you may/most likely will have to remove some of the barrel shoulder to get the barrel to index correctly. Numbered or not, you just changed everything.
    Also if you notice most FAL kits won't specify "matching number", thats because they don't have a serial number on most of the parts. Kinda like an M-16, ser # on the lower and no where else.
    Do remember the 7.62x51 has a WHOLE lot more power than the 7.62x39.
    I have Clymer Go & No-Go guages and a rec. wrench, if you decide to build , let me know and I'll loan them to you...You just have to teach me how to rivet these damn AK's, 5 built and not a rivet in them.
    Bassett
    Correcto!

Before I ran out of FAL kits and finished up that sales project based mainly on "The FAL Files", I specified MATCHING NUMBER KITS. I worked very hard to see that the kits were 100% MATCHING.

I was attacked by the "Old Guard" for making an issue over MATCHING NUMBERS on a FAL Rifle.

As we all know when a FAL is "demil-ed" (demillitarized) the UPPER receiver is destroyed. In this process the main componet of the rifle, and the one that bears most on headspace, is GONE!

I know this. I know MATCHING NUMBERS on a FAL kit means NOTHING,...EXCEPT for,..COSMETIC REASONS! I was forced to explain my reasoning to the "FAL Elite. I explained that COSMETIC was important, and in the eventuality that a BUILDER would EVER SELL his rifle,...he WILL face questions about MIS-MATCHED PARTS from the new BUYER!

I was told,... "You are DRUMMING up BUSINESS over NOTHING!"

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...ng+FAL+numbers

Problem is,..EVERY OTHER phone call I received on FALs was one where the buyer asked,.."DO THE NUMBERS MATCH?"

Moral of the story?

MATCHING.

....and on the QUESTION of AK variants?

MATCHING,...MATCHING,...MATCHING!

I'm a bookkeeper's son,
    I don't wanna shoot no one,
    but I crossed my old man back in Oregon,
    don't take me alive.

---Steely Dan---

Feedback Score

I am really not concerned about the resale of the finished rifle. I just want it to headspace correctly and shoot safely. So, please correct me if im wrong. But, from a safety standpoint, matching numbers do not matter?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Not at all...You will most likely have to swap out or file the locking shoulder your kit comes with any way, because of the different tolerances in the receiver.
    I know all this makes it sound hard, but the FAL is one of the easiest rifles to build.
    You'll be amazed how easy it goes together.
    When you get started PM me and I'll help you with some "cheap tricks" (no pun intended)
    that will save you some$ on tools and your welcome to use my stuff when you need it.

bassett
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bassettjm
    Not at all...You will most likely have to swap out or file the locking shoulder your kit comes with any way, because of the different tolerances in the receiver.
    I know all this makes it sound hard, but the FAL is one of the easiest rifles to build.
    You'll be amazed how easy it goes together.
    When you get started PM me and I'll help you with some "cheap tricks" (no pun intended)
    that will save you some$ on tools and your welcome to use my stuff when you need it.

bassett

bassetjim is "on the mark"!

I'm a bookkeeper's son,
    I don't wanna shoot no one,
    but I crossed my old man back in Oregon,
    don't take me alive.

---Steely Dan---

Feedback Score

Thankyou

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I'm smack dab in the middle of my first FAL build.
    From what I've seen, they're a piece of cake compared to a AK build.
    Of course since I'm starting from a finished receiver as opposed to a flat, I would expect it to be much easier.

Once you get the barrel timed correctly, headspacing and the rest of the build looks to be very easy.
    All you need to do is use the pin guages to find out what size locking shoulder you need.

No pushing the barrel in/out, redrilling barrel pins etc. like on the AK.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Anybody have a good source of kits since AA is out? (sorry Bob, payday came too late for one of your kits)
    ...I'm not tense! Just terribly, terribly alert.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

try here SA58
    http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=171236
    Imbel kits $149 shipped
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.