Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building a Fal

Feedback Score

Default Building a Fal

Hello, after building a few AK's, I have been tossing the idea of building a Fal around. How hard is it? Are the compliance parts hard to find? What about the quality of the kits. I have all of the tools needed to build an AK (jigs, 12 ton press, and such). Would I there be more tools I would have to buy for the FAL? Thanks, all info will be appreciated.

Feedback Score

good luck the main two suppliers of parts kits are out. now it is down to ds arms new kits which cost more or up to collectors.
    the recievers are also hard to find and expensive.

to build one you are in for about 700-1000 to build one. thats w/ all the parts and tools to do it correctly. see if you can find one that is already built.

you are about 1 month behind the supply curve. but if you want more info go to falfiles.com

read for about 3 weeks to a month and make your decisions on what you are going to build form there. that is the best i can do for you.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

FAL's are an easy build, I have done 2, an Izzy heavy bbl and a para with 16" bbl.
    good compliance parts cost a few bucks more than junk. go to dsa for all the things you need.

RLB
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've built 14 fals and they aren't hard at all, for me it was about a 1hour build each. I have all the tools and wouldbe willing to rent them if you decide to do a build.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pirate56
    FAL's are an easy build, I have done 2, an Izzy heavy bbl and a para with 16" bbl.
    good compliance parts cost a few bucks more than junk. go to dsa for all the things you need.
    He's right FALs are easy...
    You need a receiver wrench ($40), 2 AK cleaning rods ( for front sight to receiver indexing ), headspacing guages and compliance parts...US stock sets are a lot cheaper for an FAL than an AK.
    On the kits, I think FALs are considerable more workable than AK kits. Barrels are usually in better shape.
    I built 5 during the G1 kit years, they are very easy.
    Go with a US made rec., like a Coonan or DSA, stay away from Imbel mostly from a compliance issue...No Hesse or Vulcan.
    Go here
    http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php
    Good luck, you'll have fun
    Bassett
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Feedback Score

Now with the Ak kits that are floating around, it is important to look for matching numbers, or it can not headspace correctly (pain in the a$$ to correct.) Does that matter with Fal kits? I have found a few different places that are selling Imbal's. The numbers dont match on some of the kits. Others they do. The high is around $270 and the low seems to be $140. If I do buy one, is there much difference between Imbel, STG, or any of the others?
    By the way, I may choose to buy one know and store it for awhile. Which kits would be the best to buy? Thanks

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Headspacing is done differently on an FAL...It's done via a Locking Shoulder. http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-April01-assembly.html
    The STG has a Steyr barrel and a Stoll wire cutting Flash hider, that's about all the difference. The Stoll FH is cool looking, but kind of a stupid idea to me.
    It has 2 notches on the front on the FH and you put the "wire" in those slots, twist and fire a round to cut the wire. Real covert...
    Go with the cheap kits, metric not standard ie. L1A1, b/c metric mags. are everywhere.
    If you want an Stg-58 go for it, I bought an Stg barrel for aG1 I made into an Israeli clone...it shoots no better or worse than the other 4...Just my .02.
    Bassett

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GunGuy1
    Now with the Ak kits that are floating around, it is important to look for matching numbers, or it can not headspace correctly (pain in the a$$ to correct.) Does that matter with Fal kits? I have found a few different places that are selling Imbal's. The numbers dont match on some of the kits. Others they do. The high is around $270 and the low seems to be $140. If I do buy one, is there much difference between Imbel, STG, or any of the others?
    By the way, I may choose to buy one know and store it for awhile. Which kits would be the best to buy? Thanks
    AMEN BROTHER!

Buying an AK kit with non-matching FRONT TRUNNION and BOLT, from anything other than the SAME DONOR RIFLE, is just a waste of time and money.

There are TONS of EASILY assembled kits out on the market that will yeild an easily assembled and headspaced rifle.

Headspace is Job #1!

If you do not care about MATCHING NUMBERS,..you won't mind a NON-MATCHING FACE when the improperly head spaced rifle goes.....BOOM!

PS,..FALs are a bit easier than AKs as the LOCKING SHOULDER can be "swapped" with widely available different size shoulders to adjust the headspacing.

I'm a bookkeeper's son,
    I don't wanna shoot no one,
    but I crossed my old man back in Oregon,
    don't take me alive.

---Steely Dan---

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Akron Armory
    AMEN BROTHER!

Buying an AK kit with non-matching FRONT TRUNNION and BOLT, from anything other than the SAME DONOR RIFLE, is just a waste of time and money.

There are TONS of EASILY assembled kits out on the market that will yeild an easily assembled and headspaced rifle.

Headspace is Job #1!

If you do not care about MATCHING NUMBERS,..you won't mind a NON-MATCHING FACE when the improperly head spaced rifle goes.....BOOM!

PS,..FALs are a bit easier than AKs as the LOCKING SHOULDER can be "swapped" with widely available different sizes to adjust the headspacing.
    He is 100% right on the headspacing issue...However, on an FAL barrel you may/most likely will have to remove some of the barrel shoulder to get the barrel to index correctly. Numbered or not, you just changed everything.
    Also if you notice most FAL kits won't specify "matching number", thats because they don't have a serial number on most of the parts. Kinda like an M-16, ser # on the lower and no where else.
    Do remember the 7.62x51 has a WHOLE lot more power than the 7.62x39.
    I have Clymer Go & No-Go guages and a rec. wrench, if you decide to build , let me know and I'll loan them to you...You just have to teach me how to rivet these damn AK's, 5 built and not a rivet in them.
    Bassett

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.