Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need some Fal advice!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default need some Fal advice!

Im thinking of building a fal. i found a nice cetme Hk 91 G3 parts kit. are these the same as a fal. do they use the same reciever. im new to fals and know very little about them.
    Illegitimi Non carborundum!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Totally different animals. The FAL is a gas operated rifle based on a machined solid steel receiver. The CETME/G3 rifles are based on a sheetmetal stamping receiver and are roller delayed blowback operated. Nothing interchanges except the ammunition!

The CETME (original Spanish rifle) and the G3 (later "product improved" German made and licensed) are two versions of the same basic design, but major parts are different between them. They both can be built on the same receiver shell, the only difference between the current receivers are the welded on rear sight bases. The trunnions are different as well, so if building a CETME make sure the receiver comes without a trunnion.

The FAL was probably the most popular .308 rifle ever produced, adopted by many many countries in one form or another. Right now about the only kits commonly available from vendors are the Imbel made ones. The other variants are available on the various boards' for sale ads as well as Gunbroker, but you are talking a lot more $$$ on those. There is currently a receiver shortage on these, only DSA seems to have much in stock and thery are the most expensive out there.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The Fal Is probably easier to build with a 100% receiver, just screw the barrel in, headspace and put your compliance parts in. The CETME/G3 involves welding, bolt gap spacing, modifing the trigger pack, as well as compliance parts. Neither is impossible to complete. The FAL is a nice rifle with mild recoil for a 308 when you properly adjust the gas system. I sold my last Fal and I'm already thing of buying a kit and building another when the receivers drop in price. The last shotgun news had an article on making a FAL.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Ive subscibe to SN news. ive been meaning to 4ever just kept putting it off. i think im gonna go with a Fal thanks guys for your advice.
    Illegitimi Non carborundum!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I would pick up gunplumber's (on FAL files) DVD.
    I knew nothing about FALs when I started my first build. Using His DVD, I had no problems, it walks you through the entire build, including demilling the parts kit.

You will need to beg, borrow or steal a barrel vise, receiver wrench and a set of pin gauges (to measure the headspace)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

ShotGun News is doing an article on building a FN/FAL. Looks like it is going to be several segments coverd in future issues so they are going to go into some detail on how to do the build. Part 1 just covers selecting a kit and installing a barrel so they still have a ways to go.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I don't know how complete that article is going to be. They mentioned it was just going to be an overview, not a complete tutorial.

Feedback Score

if the artical is by the same guy that did the sten then it will be a over view not saying it will be bad or not a good how to just a over view. get the gunplumber book. muttman

Feedback Score

BAH! This is the only site you need for da FAL: www.falfiles.com

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

No need for the plumbers book IMO. Just search the Fal Files build it yourself section. Everything you ned to know is there. Barreling, timing, headspacing, it's all pretty easy if you have the correct tools.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.