Gunco Forums banner

hotbarrel's receiver wrench

17K views 134 replies 33 participants last post by  FloridaAKM 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This thread is a continuation of this thread.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32883

Who's interested?
7.62x39

is this the tool made from 2 pieces of flat stock milled out to the profile
I think a neibor of mine has one I can easy copy . do you have any pic just to be shure..

#52 ·
OK guys I now have a barrel and stub in hand!!
I have the stock for the barrel wrenches in hand and cut to length. I am going to start milling out the notches very soon "tonight"
yes they will have a clamp bolt to help prevent slip.

NOW as for the drive hole. I can make a 3/4" square hole BUT I had an idea I thought I would run by you guys. how about I drill a large hole place a large bolt through it and weld it in place. them you could have something like a 7/8" hex to put a 7/8" box wrench on... what do you think?? just a thought.
do you think it would be strong enough?? I will do a test at work and get some results.

I do not have the reciever wrench yet to work from BUT it is on the way.

I have to be honest with all of you as for as a time frame here so nobody is disapointed or upset. I have to work for the next 11 days in a row to cover a co-workers vacation. I can do some work but not much with this project. after that I should have all the stock and things should move rite along.
hope this is not to dissapointing. I am shure the price will make up for it.
thanks for reading HB

#53 · (Edited)
I am back inside now. I found the barrel flats to measure 1.086" dose this sound rite? can anyone else measure theirs to conferm that their is not more than one size. yes this is an metric barrel.
thanks HB

#56 ·
thanks muttman
thanks sprat.

I skipped my sleep and worked on thies today. I got a lot done and feel ahead of plan. unfortunatly I have to go to work starting tonight. I have the barrel wrench notched out to fit the barrel I have in hand. I have the first hole drilled all the way through both ends of the jaws. I will need to drill up to the tap size on one end and to the size for the bolt to slip through on the other.
then decide on the drive spot method. square, hex or whatever.

I will keep you guys posted. I may be able to sneek back here from time to time.

#59 ·
7.62x39 said:

There is a method they use on the files, where a small cut is made in the operating rod area using a cutoff wheel or hacksaw. Once the cut is made, it releases the tension on the threads and the stub will spin off by hand.

I demilled two kits using this method, it works like a charm.
I did 6 of them this way...Go slow and it's a piece of cake.

#61 ·
hotbarrel said:
NOW as for the drive hole. I can make a 3/4" square hole BUT I had an idea I thought I would run by you guys. how about I drill a large hole place a large bolt through it and weld it in place. them you could have something like a 7/8" hex to put a 7/8" box wrench on... what do you think?? just a thought.
do you think it would be strong enough?? I will do a test at work and get some results.
I vote for the 3/4" square drive hole.
Besides the leverage and strength advantages that a 3/4" breaker bar would have over a 7/8" wrench, a breaker bar kind of locks into the hole. This would eliminate the possibility of a wrench slipping off while trying to concentrate on torquing and timing the barrel.

I forgot to measure my barrel last night, I'll try to remember to do it tonight.

#63 ·
Not quite to that point yet Colonel, still in the planning stage at the moment.
As soon as we settle on a design, HB is going to whip one up so that he can get a handle on time and material involved.
I would think that he should have some sort of idea on pricing shortly, But keep in mind He has a real job too.

#68 ·
hello everyone
my long work streach os done. I now have a couple days off. I hope to get cought up on pistons and move thies forward too.
believe it or not I did get a lot done by working at the mill an hour or so each day. that was all I could each day. But I hope to work all night in the shop tonight.
here is my idea for now. I hope to get one of thies out to 7.62X39 and get confermation thet everything is just so before I send out more of them. this way if I need to make changes you do not need to send them back to me for refinement.
how dose that sound?? if we get an OK from him then I will be able to ship the rest of them out.
as for price I am thinking $50 for the set delivered. that is not set in stone yet maby better, I have to see how the tooling I bought holds up. mills can add up. I got a 6 flute 3/4" carbide ,,, check the price on that bad boy.... yikes
I got a bunch of roughing bits too.
thanks for hanging in their with me HB

#70 ·
BIG UPDATE !!!!
I have one allready to ship to 7.62X39 !!!!
I have the rest allmost finished!!!!
I want to send this first ont to 7.62X39 to be shure it dose not need some adjustments. I am prety positive everything will be good because it fits great on the stub and barrel I have here in hand. once we get the OK from him I will ship the rest of the tool sets out.
I haver put a 3/4" square drive hole in BOTH tools so you can hold or turn whatever end you like. how is that ?

#71 ·
here is the list of intrested members. the price is going to be $50 for a full set, this is a delivered price so the price of the tool is actualy 40 something.
I am not shure how many of you are still intrested and are going to order, but I have started 8 parts and their is 8 members on this list. I am going to send out payment requests today because it will be very soon that they are going to ship.
if their are a few more guys looking I can make a few more tool sets. this way nobody is left out.
if you are on the list and did not get payment instructions form me PLEASE post in or let me now and I will get them to you ASAP.
762x39
caschu0
Winn-r
LRRP-87
tony
Bontai
tiger917
muttman

also please take a moment to read the last post in the page before this one. it is the update.
thanks HB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.