Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: hotbarrel's receiver wrench

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrel

I saw a two piece set in an old shotgun news. it was the clamp as described above, along with a second wrench like tool. I would like to offer both as a set because it looks like you will need both.... oppinions please....
    the set I saw would clamp the split tool in a vise then you use the wrench to turn the barrel. this seems OK with me. BUT I will do whatever you guys decide you want.

can anyone give me an EXACT dimention of the flats accross the barrel and how wide they are so I can figure an exact cut width, and how thich stock, for the inside of the jaws for the barrel wrench. thanks
    The barrel flats are 27mm.
    I've got pics of the tools from SGN.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Some guys like to lock the barrel in a barrel vise and turn the receiver (like the set from the files) Others prefer to clamp the receiver wrench in a vise and turn the barrel (like the SGN set up) Both methods work.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

HB,

I've got a barrel out being shortened that is due back any day now. If you want, I'll send it to you to use for reference when it gets back.

Feedback Score

hot barrel, Ill take one just let me know. muttman

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

yes the two part article in Shotgun news is decent, but the tutorials at FAL files are more indepth, by experts who do this everyday.

as included above and found on numerous websites are the plans to make both the vise and clamp these are not hard to make on your own

I went with the rat man because I am building up a 70% receiver by hand so I don't have time make the jigs. pictures to come! The only jig to be used will be the thread aligning jig for the chamber and gas piston area

Please read the unfinished receiver thread below this one. I am building a receiver by hand. I am not assembling a imbel or dsa etc pre-made/FFL receivers(nothing complicated here)

regardless who's tools you use be safe and good luck "ASSEMBLING" your kits

sprat

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

7.62x39 YES! that is what I saw in hand, and in the S.G.N. that is what I had in mind. in this method you put the jig on the reciever and them hold the jig in a vise. then clamp the other tool onto the barrel and turn it.
    the one advantage I see with this, is the barrel is held tight on the flats.
    I have no pre set decision on what method to go with yet. however I personaly feel the one in the pics above would be a lot cheaper to make and get to you guys. it seems as they both work fine.
    I will leave it up to you guys, what typ tools do you want. the one sprat has posted or the one 762 has posted.

sprat , thanks for your first hand info!! and directions for detailed kit build instructions. I want to ask, are you aware of any functional reason against turning the barrel?
    my only intrest here is to get a quality functioning tool in the hands of members at the BEST possable price.
    thanks again for all your info.

I have found a local friend with a kit I can borrow as long as I need so i will have everything in hand to assure fit soon!!!

I hope to decide what styl to go with tomorrow. so we can get started soon. thies things take enough time as it is.

soon as we decide what typ I will start a name list , in order of the names requesting in this thread.

thanks for everyones intrest. thies things are a lot of fun for me, and I hope they are fun for you too. ware else do you get to see discussion turn to ideas followed up by plans, prints then working to actual parts in hand. how can this not be fun.
    I am off the page for extended times due to job requirements, not gone forever

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I think both methods have pros and cons.
    I found clamping the receiver and turning the barrel easier. But if you had a barrel whose flats were buggered up or that has already been refinished, I think clamping the barrel (under the hand guards where it can't be seen) and turning the receiver may be the way to go.

One thing to keep in mind, The barrel and therefore the hole in the barrel vise is tapered, requiring a ream with the same taper. I don't know if it's an off the shelf item.

Personally, I vote for the barrel wrench over the barrel vise.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

hot barrel

again my intent is not to steal or highjack your thread and I award your attempt to help other's here. I wanted to save my receiver stubs I need them, for the build of a 70% so I went with the vise and wrench combo and as stated you can go either way. I locked the barrel vise with the barrel in my large table vise and turned the receiver stub with the wrench, slight amount of propane on the old stub to loosen it and I did need a breaker bar

I would like all to know I have had a running ad on several sites trying to buy used fal wrenchs and vises with no replies so I up and bought the combo.
    for your build or kit disassembly you may wish to attempt alot of varied methods

sprat

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Unless you have a specific use for the old stub like sprat does, there are much easier ways to remove it.
    I tried doing it with a barrel vise and receiver wrench and couldn't break it loose. The barrel kept turning in the vise.

There is a method they use on the files, where a small cut is made in the operating rod area using a cutoff wheel or hacksaw. Once the cut is made, it releases the tension on the threads and the stub will spin off by hand.

I demilled two kits using this method, it works like a charm.
    Last edited by 7.62x39; 05-01-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

OK guys
    as soon as I get the part in the mail to work from I will go buy material and get started. I am going to go with holding the reciever in the vise and turning the barrel. at least to start with. if their are people that want a barrel vise typ I can work on thet as it comes up. no matter what I need to getthe tool to hold the reciever in its odd shape. then it could be easy to add a handel if needed. as I am working I will look for a reamer that will fit the parrel properly just in case I need to make a barel vise tool too.

I will get back here soon as I get the material in hand and keep everyone updated. thanks HB
    I am off the page for extended times due to job requirements, not gone forever

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.