Gunco Forums banner

hotbarrel's receiver wrench

17K views 134 replies 33 participants last post by  FloridaAKM 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This thread is a continuation of this thread.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32883

Who's interested?
7.62x39

is this the tool made from 2 pieces of flat stock milled out to the profile
I think a neibor of mine has one I can easy copy . do you have any pic just to be shure..

#77 ·
well guys the first tool is on its way to 7.62X39 today .

resting and blazerbender. I will hold your names here in a second list. you will have first choise of the tools if guys decide to drop out. also I can put you on the top of a second list IF I decide to make more. it is too soon to say for shure at this time. lets see how this goes and how many guys are intrested in more.
thanks HB

#82 ·
I received the barrel and receiver wrenches from HB today.
A friend of mine picked up an Imbel kit last week that needs to be demilled. I can't think of a better test for these tools than that. So I had him drop it off at my house yesterday.

If these will handle removing the barrel from the old stub without making a relief cut, they will handle anything. I will post pics and results later tonight.

#85 ·
yes I want to conferm tha same thing. I recieved some excelant suggestions to improve the tool!!! here is the plan. I am going to follow the suggestions and send the referbed tools back to him. then see how things go.
I am extreamly glad I did not send out a bunch of tools that need rework! I know you guys are glad too. soon as this first one is just riteI then will finish the rest.

yes the barrel wrenches are all done as theyt now have an OK.
thanks for understanding thies things sometimes take time to get everything just rite. R&D is all part of the fun.
HB
A big thanks to 7.62X39 for his suggestions. I am not a fal builder personaly so I rely on the knolage of others with progects like this.

#88 ·
muttman
THANKS for not rushing me I DO APPRECAITE IT!!!!
it sometimes feels like I am allways appoligizeing for delays. I am just overwhelmed with work at my "real" job. I am here now at 3:30 AM and about to go out to do the corrections to the wrench I sent to 7.62X39, then catch up on other orders. the wrench will go out today for testing with 7.62X39. we should know SOON if everything is proper. I know understand the issues with the original design and believe - hope this one with be a good functional tool
thanks again everyone for understanding the time involved here
Hotbarrel

#89 ·
hotbarrel said:
muttman
THANKS for not rushing me I DO APPRECAITE IT!!!!
it sometimes feels like I am allways appoligizeing for delays. I am just overwhelmed with work at my "real" job. I am here now at 3:30 AM and about to go out to do the corrections to the wrench I sent to 7.62X39, then catch up on other orders. the wrench will go out today for testing with 7.62X39. we should know SOON if everything is proper. I know understand the issues with the original design and believe - hope this one with be a good functional tool
thanks again everyone for understanding the time involved here
Hotbarrel
hotbarrel,
I too find that my "real" job gets in the way of my job I mean hobby:brows: . muttman

#91 ·
Success through failure

Well I have good news for everybody except the one guy who wanted to avoid making the relief cut in his receiver stub.

This was the first time I've attempted to remove a stub without making the cut. On the FALs I've demilled previously, I took the advise of the FAL gurus over at the files and made the cut before even attempting it.
After hearing the horror stories about 3 foot cheater bars and broken vises, I figured I would take advantage of their experience.

But I wanted to give HB's tools the toughest test I could. So I clamped it all in the vise and began tugging. I have a high quality (read heavy) 6 inch vise on a 8' bench constructed out of 4x4s with a 2" thick work surface (read heavy) I have never had the bench even move before tonight. I waltzed that bench all around the shop and hung my 245lb frame off the breaker bar, but the barrel never budged. The barrel wrench finally failed.

The good news is two fold, first, I exerted way more force than would ever be required to time the barrel on an Assembly or do a relief cut demill before it failed. second even with all that force and ultimate tool failure, the flats on the barrel were still mint.

Lastly, it wasn't the tool or design that failed it was the steel itself. If someone really had to do an uncut demill, the tool will need to be hardened.

Now the pics
1) good solid lock up on the receiver
2) damage to wrench
3) barrel flats after failure.

Attachments

#93 ·
Yes, We do.

Even with all the loading I put on it, the receiver never budged and since HB re contoured it, there is now plenty of clearance around the two weak points of the receiver (gas tube nut threads and cocking lever slot) so you will never need to worry about distorting them.

For anybody unfamiliar with relief cut I referred to, there is more info on that here.
http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33074

#94 ·
7.62X39
that is great news.and the pics look great too. !! again I can not thank you enough for your testing. if you send the part that finaly gave up back I am very happy to fill and fix it for you. N.C. now that I know what I am actualy looking for I will start some work finish cutting the rest of the parts.
everyone . if you did send your payment as requested I hope to get your tool set out as soon as I can. I do believe only 2 guys sent me a payment so I will clearly have some openings for the extras. it is very hard to guess how many will actualy compleat so I will give everyone a bit more time now that we have a sucksesfull tool , then I will let them go off a second list.
if you want OUT of the tool that is fine with me believe me their is never any hard feelings, just let me know and I can get your set to someone else that is all.
thanks again to all HB

#95 ·
thanks muttman
this kind of stuff is real fun, how often do we get to combine everyones input to design the tool that we want, then go through trial manufacturing, see it go into testing then refinement, followed up with the results we were looking for. how can this NOT be fun?? I know it was for me and I hope all of you enjoyed the entire transformation as much as I do.
thanks again HB

#98 ·
hotbarrel said:
7.62X39
that is great news.and the pics look great too. !! again I can not thank you enough for your testing. if you send the part that finaly gave up back I am very happy to fill and fix it for you.
Thank You, but that's not even necessary. The wrench is thick enough, so that all I need to do is turn it around and use the other side. Kinda like two tools for the price of one. lol

Actually, I see it as a safety valve. With the barrel made out of harder steel than the wrench, under extreme situations such as this, the wrench will fail before you *#%@ up your barrel.:thumbup1:

It takes only about 125ft. lbs. to time the barrel when reassembling, a relief cut demill, takes very little (maybe 20-25). I estimate I had at least 200ft. lbs (probably more) on it when it failed.

#100 ·
well here we are again.. all 8 of the tools are finished!!
7.62 has one and I have recieved orders for only 3 more, I asked for mo's a couple WEEKS ago, pleanty of time, so I hate to do it BUT this happens every time, "many never come through" SO here is what I am going to do.
I am going to ship in order that payments arive! any payments that arive AFTER they are gone I am very happy to returne, no hard feelings.
forget the list... they are all good till 1/2 the guys do not follow up, then guys that do honestly want the parts end up hangging..
NO I have NEVER done this before and NO I do not like it, I have ALLWAYS waited and waited, sent reminders, let things go on and on. I gave guys on a list every oppertunity.
I do not want to be a bad guy here, however I do not want others that are truley intrested missing out either.
Is this fare,, well maby not BUT either is getting on a list and not sending payment when requested, not even sending a pm to let me know you are out.. a pm for delay or out is all it takes, no hard feelings..
I just do not understand.
this is why I make most things to order..
I still have a pile of yugo parts that were spoken for but guys that signed up never followed up on.

as for makeing more FAL wrenches... I do not know, it will depend on material.

as I packed up the three to ship tonight I got a bit upset , maby I should not be posting what I am mad.. but oh well...

what the heck should I do, hole the parts indefinatly in case someone comes back in a month and says they want one and they were on a list.. {yes it happenes}
I am open to suggestions ... you tell me what do I do
1 hold parts indefinalty
2 get them to guys in a firts come method
3 something else

to the guys that wanted in on the second list. I truely APPOLIGIZE. send the payment fast if you want one . that is the best I can do rite now.
NO this is not fun!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.