Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: hotbarrel's receiver wrench

Feedback Score

glad you made it over to the fal files I crashed and did not get a chance to look. I hope this works out. by the way what is the secret to posting a photo? muttman

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

yes I do believe I can put in a 3/4" square drive hole without much difficulty. I have not done any yet BUT I do have some ideas that I feel will work.

mutt man when it is closer to the time I will be happy to get it the way you like NO trouble. I am allways happy to do "custom" work whenever possable. it is all part of the fun.
    depending on how dificult it is for me to get the 3/4" hole they may all have one. that way users can go either way ....
    lets see....
    I am off the page for extended times due to job requirements, not gone forever

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

here is a very rough idea of the reciever wrench. my thought is to keep the sides square AND put in the 3/4" hole, this way it can be held in a vise or turned with a wrench. the only downfall I see is I will have to drill deeper holes for the bolts.

this is not set in stone yet but I thought I would toss it out their for some feedback.
    yes or no ????
    Last edited by hotbarrel; 10-27-2007 at 03:37 AM.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

it sounds like some guys may NOT need a set... if they are going to cut the reciever some and all they need is a barrel wrench. IF this is the case I have no problem offering single parts too. . when we get that far.
    whatever you need is fine with me.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrel
    here is a very rough idea of the receiver wrench. my thought is to keep the sides square AND put in the 3/4" hole, this way it can be held in a vise or turned with a wrench...
    HB,

I can't see the pic you attached, but your description is exactly the way they are designed to be used.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrel
    it sounds like some guys may NOT need a set... if they are going to cut the receiver some and all they need is a barrel wrench...
    They will still need a receiver wrench for reassembly

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I think that a 1/2" hole would be better than a 3/4" hole if it is only going to have one square hole. Most people have 1/2" tools, but most would probably have to purchase a 3/4" breaker bar just for this tool. In addition, I think that 1/2" tools are strong enough for this task. Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

3/4" breaker bars are longer and a lot stronger than a 1/2" bar.
    You can always use a hunk of pipe to get past the leverage issue, but the strength still comes into play.
    A 1/2" bar would suffice for assembly, but not for breaking loose a stub without cutting.
    You can always buy a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter if you don't own a 3/4" breaker bar.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have never broken one of these stubs apart so I will take your word for it, but I do a lot of car work and have broken loose some very stubborn cylinder head bolts with 1/2" breaker bars. I think having both options would be nice.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

7.62. i guess my comment was reflecting my mood, most use openned wrench's for a barrel wrench

I had a bad day I drove to Philadelphia ordinance yesterday and actually hung out at the shop, great place 80% receivers laying all around "builders paradise"!!!
    he had proto type bren receivers too, then I broke down on the way home spoiled the trip more about Philly ordinance another thread

I agree you should go with the larger breaker bar and adapt down, I weight 200lbs I really had to exert a lot of force to remove the stubs - plurial it wouls also depend on the vise and its location on your table

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.