Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: hotbarrel's receiver wrench

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I did a FAL using a receiver wrench and open end wrench.

I have great patience when homesmithing (unlike the the rest of the time LOL) I find it therapeutic. I take great pride in my work and try to do the best possible build, with what I have available.
    That said, I'll get to the point. I buggered up my barrel flats slightly, because the force required surpassed what an open end wrench was designed to handle.
    An open end wrench is designed strictly for convenience. It only contacts two of the six sides of a normal fastener.
    No matter what the quality of the wrench (and I was using as good as is available) at a certain point the "jaws" are going to flex and spread because they are only supported at one end. That's what happened to me.
    With the bolt on the other end, the wrench above acts like a vise, clamping the flats and eliminating the possibility of the jaws opening up. Not to mention that it is much beefier than any open end wrench available.

I was lucky, I was able to clean the flats up to a point where the damage is all but undetectable.
    Someone not using the utmost care, may not be so lucky.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

OK guys I now have a barrel and stub in hand!!
    I have the stock for the barrel wrenches in hand and cut to length. I am going to start milling out the notches very soon "tonight"
    yes they will have a clamp bolt to help prevent slip.

NOW as for the drive hole. I can make a 3/4" square hole BUT I had an idea I thought I would run by you guys. how about I drill a large hole place a large bolt through it and weld it in place. them you could have something like a 7/8" hex to put a 7/8" box wrench on... what do you think?? just a thought.
    do you think it would be strong enough?? I will do a test at work and get some results.

I do not have the reciever wrench yet to work from BUT it is on the way.

I have to be honest with all of you as for as a time frame here so nobody is disapointed or upset. I have to work for the next 11 days in a row to cover a co-workers vacation. I can do some work but not much with this project. after that I should have all the stock and things should move rite along.
    hope this is not to dissapointing. I am shure the price will make up for it.
    thanks for reading HB
    I am off the page for extended times due to job requirements, not gone forever

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

I am back inside now. I found the barrel flats to measure 1.086" dose this sound rite? can anyone else measure theirs to conferm that their is not more than one size. yes this is an metric barrel.
    thanks HB
    Last edited by hotbarrel; 05-06-2007 at 04:08 PM.

Feedback Score

hot barrel,
    I have a kit but my calipers are at work. I can post when you get back home in 11 days. remind me when you get the time off. muttman

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

metric imbel 1.081 on my flats

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

thanks muttman
    thanks sprat.

I skipped my sleep and worked on thies today. I got a lot done and feel ahead of plan. unfortunatly I have to go to work starting tonight. I have the barrel wrench notched out to fit the barrel I have in hand. I have the first hole drilled all the way through both ends of the jaws. I will need to drill up to the tap size on one end and to the size for the bolt to slip through on the other.
    then decide on the drive spot method. square, hex or whatever.

I will keep you guys posted. I may be able to sneek back here from time to time.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I measured 2 SA metric Imbel barrels and both measured at 1.085" with my calipers.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

That's interesting that you guys are coming up with 1.08, They are supposed to be 1.06 (27MM)
    I'll measure mine tonight and report back.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62x39

There is a method they use on the files, where a small cut is made in the operating rod area using a cutoff wheel or hacksaw. Once the cut is made, it releases the tension on the threads and the stub will spin off by hand.

I demilled two kits using this method, it works like a charm.
    I did 6 of them this way...Go slow and it's a piece of cake.
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I measured 1.081 on my kit this morning.

And I did a demill using the cutoff wheel - it worked just fine. Of course, I'm going to need the tools to reassemble the darned thing...
    Q - What is Bambi?

A - Viable Target

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.