Gunco Forums banner

FAL stub removal

7K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  TARGSHOOT 
#1 ·
I'm sure that anyone who has built a FAL before is familiar with this method, but I had a member ask about how to do this in another thread.

First the tools.
This can be done completely with just a hacksaw and a large chisel or even a Dremel, if you have plenty of the HD cutoff wheels.
But a 4" cutoff wheel makes it a breeze.

You want to cut (carefully, your barrel threads are right under this cut) until you can just barely see the very edge of the barrel threads. Do the last part of the cut by hand using a hacksaw, if you are using a cutoff wheel.

Insert your biggest chisel in the slot and give it a good whack. It will split right along the cut. this will relieve the tension on the barrel allowing you to spin the stub right off.

If you look close at the cut, you can see the jagged edge where it split under the cut.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I used a 6in (or was it 4in) angle grinder, a beat to crap large straight slot screw driver and a 3lb sledge. I only went deep enough to where I could see where the threads were at, and then pounded away. No thread damage.

#6 ·
This is a great method for removing the receiver stub....Glad you brought this thread up
I ran into a problem this week on my imbel kit...the dam stub would not come off with conventional tools......used this method and worked perfectly.

#7 ·
I have tried using a receiver wrench and barrel vise and it just too hard to do. I remove all mine with this method. I also bough a huge chisel that will split the stub before getting close to the end of the barrel. That along with the 5 pound hammer makes it pretty much a breeze......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.