Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Finished 80% cast receiver!!!!!!! by hand

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I bought one from Sprat & I've seen a couple sold here on Gunco recently. Also common on Gunbroker. WIDE range on prices. I need to learn more on operating my little mill before I tackle this one! By then I hope to have a DSA receiver to try & copy. I have three FAL kits, but no receiver stubs. So. I don't know what I'll do about a feed ramp? I've never seen a stub offered for sale. I don't even know what they look like. Maybe I can make one after getting a DSA receiver in my hands?
    Good going Sprat! Let us know whay you learn about proper heat treating, as I may also have a treating oven by the time I try this project. I want to do some knife making & need an oven for that anyways.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Here is some more information on finishing a 80% casting.
    http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...threadid=60516

I thought this could give you more information and have the patience to do it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Racerex1
    Here is some more information on finishing a 80% casting.
    http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...threadid=60516

I thought this could give you more information and have the patience to do it.
    Boy that thread isn't much help - "I think it is strong enough because it is so thick" and "I'm pretty sure you'll be OK".

I dunno - I'm not afraid of building one of these but the heat treatment would *literally* be the "make or break" part of it. It probably would be OK for the typical plinker at the range, but I tend to run mine pretty hard and would hate to have a FAL blow up on me. I think until there is a *good*, well documented process, I'm going to have to stick with a DSA. Ask me again after someone publishes a heat treat how-to document!

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    That's pretty cool! I know these need the heat treat based on the threads I've read, and let's not forget DSArms' treatment of the issue. I think they had some blow-up pics on their site, but I don't really remember that far back.

Where do you find the castings these days? I saw one at a gun show one time, but that's the only one I've seen.

Here ya go Pook:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=75889474
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

NO! DON'T TEMPT ME! I would do it then it would sit there forever while I searched and begged for someone to heat treat it for me! Sure is tempting, however. I wonder what is stamped on the side of it?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie

Where do you find the castings these days? I saw one at a gun show one time, but that's the only one I've seen.
    I have one of these I'd like to sell. If your are interested send me a pm. I bought it and then ran into an Imbel receiver and couldn't turn it down. Couldn't wait to get the rifle shooting.
    Kevin

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Didn't Rhineland arms or someone make a 45 ACP kit for a FAL receiver? I think you could build an unheat treated 45 Fal safely, but I'd be a little hesitant of the 308.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

IIRC the pictures on the DSA Arms website were of a blown up ALUMINUM upper receiver. I am not condoning shooting an unheat-treated steel receiver but I have not seen any steel receivers that were blown up from normal shooting.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

range report

well I took the unheat treated century casing out again after setting the headspace. The first two shots were with weak 40,000psi .308 reloads again used a string to pull the trigger and guess what happened???

nothing

no blown receiver , no cracks, no movement of anykind, including the the gas system as the reloaded rounds were to weak as expected

then I loaded/shot two military 308 rounds as a proof load, only this time something happened!!!!

the gas system pushed that bolt carrier back and ejected the cartridge not once but twice. I then shot the rifle with the remaining 15 weak reloads, standing and in the gun rest. there are still a few quirks to work out. at this point a functional single shot rifle.

I need to tap the bolt carrier and form a cocking handle, because the ejector is wedged into the receiver the mag feed is/was not perfect, mag feed problems I am to understand from the threads on falfiles are common with century receivers whether 100% or 70%

that Falfile post I saw that years ago but he didn't do it by hand tools, he used a milling machine and did a fine job including heat treating with he says he used a touch
    any cut or files areas are cold blued and will be parkerized and duracoated

pictures are at homegunsmithing.com

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

dyi
    Feedback Score

Holy crap batman where's my time machine! I bought a bunch of these for something like $40 a piece "back in the day" and got rid of them at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.