Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cut Threads

Feedback Score

Default Cut Threads PICS ADDED

I bought a G1 barrel a long time ago on ebay, and it's been laying under my bed ever since.

The previous owner cut some of the threads during the demill process... is this gonna be an issue during installation?
    Last edited by hill60; 06-13-2007 at 03:02 AM.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

A pic would be helpfull.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Depending on how bad the are, you may be able to restore them by dressing them with a thread file. Pics would be helpful.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The most common process for removing the bbl from the receiver stub is to split the receiver. This is done by using a Dremel cutoff wheel to make a slice in the cocking handle slot to the front of the receiver. A chisel is then inserted in the slot and driven in to split the receiver. It is common for the cutoff wheel to cut a small slice in the threads during this process, it is not a problem. The amount of metal removed still leaves 99.9% of the original threads untouched, and the threads are usually not burred from the process because unscrewing the old receiver stub cleans them up.

Feedback Score

yeh, the threads look pretty clean... I just wasn't sure if it would pose a problem for installation.

Feedback Score

another shot... so I should be able to get a 'smith to rebarrel my FAL without any issues?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

That's not too bad. Just dress them up a little and You'll be fine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yep, no worries. Looks like he used an air powered cutoff wheel from the wide width. He did go a might far and put a groove in the wrench flat on the bbl, just cosmetic and will be covered by the handgaurd retainer anyway.

Just curious, is that a chrome lined bbl? The chrome ones had a "Cr" stamped on the muzzle attachment lug IIRC.

Feedback Score

I'm not sure... I'll have to give it a look. I'm at work right now. If memory serves me, it's not chrome lined, but I'll double check.

Thanks again guys for all your help. This is one of those items that I thought I'd been screwed on the purchase. Until I found this board, the barrel was just collecting dust, because I wasn't sure it could be used.

Now I get to rebarrel my existing rifle and create my own Frankenstein G1... I'm thrilled. I think the G1 is sexy... is that wrong?

Feedback Score

Sorry it took so long for me to check on this... but I didn't see any such marks on the barrel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.