Thread: Open Ear to Closed Ear

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Open Ear to Closed Ear

OK folks. What I have is an nos FAL barrel with an open ear gasblock. And I have a couple closed ear GB's. Has anyone switched over? And if you had to do it again would you? How difficult/time consuming is it? And are there any pitfalls you had to surmount? Any real world help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    A quick add: All of these parts are Metric.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

it should be a simple swap, drive out the pin, press off the old block and press on and pin the new one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

My concern is that it would be easy to remove one and a bit more difficult to intall the other. Like how do you make sure it's plumb as you press? Are the pins harder to remove, as in, is it 2lbs and 2 whacks, or do you have to break out the press for the pins. I'm the kinda guy who likes to know what's in the water before I jump in head first.

Feedback Score

I have read horror stories about how hard these are to remove. The two or three that I have removed have been easy. I used a block of oak to tap the block off. Just tap the shoulder of the block around the edges and keep it moving square to the barrel. A dead blow hammer worked well here.

If your open ear is Inch, the retaining pin is tapered. One way in, one way out. The Argy open ear blocks and Metric blocks should be a straight pin but look carefully. It's been awhile since I messed with an Argy. I mention Argy because that is the only open ear Metric I can think of. Not sure if Izzy was open ear.

Put some penetrating oil on the block now and set it aside for a week. There will be carbon build up that will hold the block tight. Kroil is best.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks BK. Actually it's a brand new barrel,nice fresh park. with no faults(till I installed it). The asvice will help me,I'm sure. The advice about taper pins is great, I'll have to measure and see.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.