Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 300WSM FAL

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default 300WSM FAL

Here is some pictures of a FAL I made in 300 Winchester Short Mag. Uses a Winchester model 100 3 locking lug bolt head that lock into a receiver extension right behind the barrel. No firing stress go thru the receiver. Barrel is a heavy stainless 26" target barrel. Forearm is free floating.

SS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SHARPSSHOOTER5090; 03-20-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

No you didn't. That's too cool for mortals, I suspect divine intervention.
    member # 575

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

I would like to see some closeups of the bolt arangement. THat is cool! How does it shoot at 250yds? How is the headspace set without the falling locking block?
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Bolt modifictions

The bolt assy. is mostly a standard Winchester Model 100 3 lug bolt adapted to a modified FAL bolt carrier. The bolt carrier was shortened to allow for the extra rearward movement required to turn the bolt head to un-lock it from the locking recesses in the receiver. If I try real hard it will shoot minute of angle groups. Head space is set like any other front rotary lug locking system, by turning in the barrel (before the gas port was drilled.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I've been looking at the pics but can't quite figure out what keeps the bolt head from rotating before it makes it into the barrel extension. Is it riding on a rail in the receiver? what side?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

That pin that you see sticking out of the bolt carrier above the bolt head has a lug that sticks down and engages a slot in the body of the bolt head and prevents the bolt head from rotating until the pin contacts the receiver face and is pushed back into the bolt carrier. There is a light spring that pushes it back out when the bolt carrier is pushed back by the gas piston. I tried a rail on the right side but because of the groove in the receiver for the bolt carrier I couldn't get a rail that had enough contact with right locking lug to positively keep it from rotating as the bolt head pushed a round from the magazine. You can see the pin with the lug sticking down in the top picture just below the FAL bolt carrier and the Winchester 100 bolt carrier. You can just see the slot in the inside of the FAL bolt carrier where the pin sits.

SS

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Very cool........So when are you going to start the product of parts for us poor mortals that don't have that much skill........
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

you know I have scratched my head for 15 minutes about how it works until it hit me. THAT is smart. better pics of the bolt/lug would be nice. I really like what you have done here.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

VZ
    Double click on the first picture of the thread #4 and maximize it. You can see the anti- rotation pin just below the FAL BC with the cross lug that sticks down. In the FAL BC you can see the slot where the anti-rotation pin rides and the pin return spring. Below the pin you is the Win. 100 BC laying on it's side. There is a slot milled in the top of it where the lug of the anti-rotation pin sticks through and engages in a slot in the bolt head. The slot in the Win. 100 BC goes up in the FAL BC. 180 degrees from the way it is laying in the picture. Not visible on the bolt head is a slot where the bottom of the lug of the anti-rotation pin engages and keeps the bolt head from rotating until the pin is push back when it contacts the receiver just above the barrel and allowing the bolt head to rotate. In picture #3 you can see the pin above the bolt head through the ejection port. You can also see the locking recesses in the barrel extension. The barrel extension was machined out of 4140 and welded to a Centry casting. The casting was machined and then heat treated to Rc42-44. Hope that clears thing up a little better. Kind of complicated but it works. There is just no place for a recess for one of the bolt head lugs to ride in as it does in the standard Win. 100 receiver because the FAL BC is larger than the bolt head.

SS
    Last edited by SHARPSSHOOTER5090; 03-25-2008 at 12:09 PM.

BHP
    Feedback Score

It was actually that particular gun that led me to find your MG47 and that brought me here.

Just out of curiosity, how many of those short stubby rounds will fit into that magazine? And was there any work that needed to be done to the magazine to get it to feed right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.