Gunco Forums banner

First FAL build questions

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MCQ1 
#1 ·
I got my receiver barreled today, and installed the gas tube, if I put the rec. in a vise and level it, then run a long thin straight cleaning rod through the gas tube, the cleaning rod should settle to bottom dead center of gas tube(right?). Then if the cleaning rod aligns with top dead center at mussel, timing should be good?

Also I installed the BHO and the mag catch, the BHO is a little sticky, will this work itself out or should I remove and use a little emory cloth?
When do I need to install locking shoulder?
Is there a way to check for any feed issue at this stage?

#6 ·
Headspacing in a semi-auto is pretty critical to get right. You really need the proper tools for that ie. the pin gauges and GO/NOGO gauges so you can order the correct sized locking shoulder. As far as timing goes you can get by with just two STRAIGHT 3/16" steel rods (mine are 36" long...I got them at Lowes or Home Depot). Find the centers of your rods, with your receiver in the vise, lay one across the receiver rails and and put the other through the screw hole for the hand guards in the gas block. Make sure your rod sits flat in the hole in the gas block. I used rubber bands to hold them in place. As you are torquing your barrel get down and eyeball the rods. When they are parallel you are timed correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.