Gunco Forums banner

FAL carbine finished

6K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  Thaine 
#1 ·
Well almost.
I'm waiting on a DSA US made H,T,S set (that's been on backorder for 6 weeks.)

I had Moses, the resident barrel guru of the FAL files, shorten the barrel to 18" re-thread and re-crown. It's got a piston made by our resident guru, hotbarrel. A DSA receiver, Wolfsburg Bob PG, Tapco stock, DSA MD and H,T,S round out the US made parts.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
looks great Max!!

You'd told me before about the backordered fcg. I'm surprised folks haven't stepped up to that plate like the AK -- Tapco , Century, First son -- Ive never worried about compliance parts.

Always figured someone would make them.

#12 ·
looks great Max!!

You'd told me before about the backordered fcg. I'm surprised folks haven't stepped up to that plate like the AK -- Tapco , Century, First son --
I wanted a First Son. I've got one of theirs in my other FAL and like it a lot. Unfortunately, They do not make them anymore.

The story I read at the files said that he really got screwed by his warranty policy. If anybody had a problem, he just sent out another set, no questions asked. The killer was that he didn't even require the return of the "defective" parts. It didn't take long for the low life's to abuse that policy for free sets and drive him right out of the trigger business.

#11 ·
Nice looking carbine. I've yet to build one with an 18 inch barrel. I need to pull the barrel on my Rhodie Para clone and have it shortened some time.

These were all built when the kits and receivers were cheaper than you find today.

#14 ·
Nice looking carbine. I've yet to build one with an 18 inch barrel. I need to pull the barrel on my Rhodie Para clone and have it shortened some time.

These were all built when the kits and receivers were cheaper than you find today.
Nice looking collection there RetVet.
This one is only number two for Me. I had only planned on building one, but, I needed to build another just to help justify the expense of all the FAL tooling I had bought. LOL

#21 ·
Max - looks great! Almost makes me want to get another FAL (only thing stopping me from trying to aquire another is the price of Ammo). :D

Looks like Moses did some nice work on the barrel. I had mine shortened by Rich at CGW. The century FCG's work great if they are polished/cleaned up some.

#25 ·
Just saw this today and also wanted to say "nice work" to you Max. Very nice looking rifle. I am seriously thinking about purchasing a kit but am worried that I don't have the skills to build one (nicely), not to mention the funds for all of the tooling needed (not even sure yet of what tools I will need). Like most, funds are pretty tight! However I want one so bad that I was thinking of offering up my retro AR build in trade (and I LOVE my AR!). WHY, WHY, WHY do I have to have firearms as my hobby?!?! My neighbor collects neon beer signs and his wife collects wind chimes, maybe I can get into one of those hobbies...

#27 ·
Neon signs? WIND CHIMES? Open up your windows and get out of your house. You must have a gas leak because you're not making sence. The hardest part of a fal build is installing the barrel. If you have a file,hacksaw and a drill press you can make your own receiver wrench and barrel vise. As far as headspacing you will need a set of headspace guages. I lucked out and got a locking shoulder that was too tight. I cut a diamond hone the same width as the bolt lockup relief cut in the locking shoulder and mounted it to a small board. Then honed the locking shoulder until it it would just close on the go guage. They're slightly harder than an M1 build, but not as hard as an AK build.

#29 ·
AHHHH! vicodine, makes you goofy and you don't even realize it. I was on it for about a year and a half before my back surgery. The fal receiver is a forging or a casting. I used a 100% receiver from imbel for my imbel kit. No welding, just screw in the barrel and headspace. Some have had timing issues but that can also be fixed with either a shim or removing some of the barrel shoulder. They sure are sweet guns and I miss mine. I sold it when I was first off of work with the back injury.

#30 ·
AHHHH! vicodine, makes you goofy and you don't even realize it. I was on it for about a year and a half before my back surgery. The fal receiver is a forging or a casting. I used a 100% receiver from imbel for my imbel kit. No welding, just screw in the barrel and headspace. Some have had timing issues but that can also be fixed with either a shim or removing some of the barrel shoulder. They sure are sweet guns and I miss mine. I sold it when I was first off of work with the back injury.
Vicodin, hah! That's for amateurs! Oxycontin is what they are feeding me. I actually hate taking the stuff but some times the pain from the nerve damage is so unbareable that I would do almost anything to ease it up. The stuff works when taken as prescribed. How is your back feeling now? Good I hope. I hope the day comes when I am free of this pain, or at least most of it. Back to the FAL, I know they come in standard and metric. What, in your opinion, is the better of the two and why? and are parts harder to get/more expensive for one type versus the other?

#32 ·
I've been putting off spending the dough for a DSA for years. I just got a barreled Century receiver in a nice trade with Turbothis. I trust him & will do the best I can with it. I can't ALWAYS have the best. I have three R1 kits from FWRA on the files.( RIP)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.