Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building an L1A1, a couple questions from a newbie

Feedback Score

Default Building an L1A1, a couple questions from a newbie

I just ordered one of the Australian L1A1 kits from I.O. Inc, and I was wondering if it would be possible to modify a South African barrel to fit the Century Inch Receiver I plan to use.

Would this be a good idea or are there cheaper alternatives?

By the way, how much are the Century 100% kits anyway? I've heard around $200 but I can't be sure because they have the idiotic policy of not making their prices public, and I'm not driving out to my local dealer just to check.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

First mistake was ordering anything from IO, but that being said the SA barrel is metric, there would have to be some mods made I would think. Find a different barrel. Check falefiles, DSA. etc... And if you can get a different Rec you would be better off IMO.
    American By Birth, Southern By the Grace Of God

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

There are barrels and rec available at FF and on gunbroker. Good luck
    American By Birth, Southern By the Grace Of God

Feedback Score

What's wrong with I.O. exactly? Besides the cut up barrel.

Also, I'm really on a budget here, I don't want to spend $1,000 on this thing, which is why I'm going Century, despite their problems, which I'm sure I can work around.

Feedback Score

Through the wonders of Google, I have managed to find a barrel, and a US made one too. Does anyone know if it's any good?

https://www.cogunsales.com/index.php...chk=1&Itemid=1

How would I go about putting the gas block on it?

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mugofdoom View Post
    I just ordered one of the Australian L1A1 kits from I.O. Inc, and I was wondering if it would be possible to modify a South African barrel to fit the Century Inch Receiver I plan to use.

Would this be a good idea or are there cheaper alternatives?

By the way, how much are the Century 100% kits anyway? I've heard around $200 but I can't be sure because they have the idiotic policy of not making their prices public, and I'm not driving out to my local dealer just to check.
    Hello and Welcome!~

1. The threads are "almost" compatible. You should be able to chase them if you can find the right die that matches your upper.

2. Most of the Century Uppers are not Inch pattern, but "expanded" Metric. That is not an accepted term and only means that they can finish tap or thread to suit the parts kit that got pulled off of the top of the pile.

3. You may need to use indexing washers in order to get the timing right. I own two Century FALs, one is South African and the other is L1A1. I have interchanged the barrels by using the washers. They just make it possible to time the barrel correctly.

4. I might suggest that you consider an Entreprise Arms upper instead. Similar price, better quality in my opinion. There are some who don't like them.

Good Luck
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    Hello and Welcome!~

1. The threads are "almost" compatible. You should be able to chase them if you can find the right die that matches your upper.

2. Most of the Century Uppers are not Inch pattern, but "expanded" Metric. That is not an accepted term and only means that they can finish tap or thread to suit the parts kit that got pulled off of the top of the pile.

3. You may need to use indexing washers in order to get the timing right. I own two Century FALs, one is South African and the other is L1A1. I have interchanged the barrels by using the washers. They just make it possible to time the barrel correctly.

4. I might suggest that you consider an Entreprise Arms upper instead. Similar price, better quality in my opinion. There are some who don't like them.

Good Luck
    Thanks.

How much are the Entreprise Inch pattern receivers?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Metric (except Israeli and very early belgian made) and Inch breach threads on the barrel are both 1-16 threads. You should only have to clean up the threads on the barrel or receiver if they are rough and tight. I believe the barrel you are showing a link to is a green mountain barrel which will have LH threads on the muzzle versus the RH threads of a true Inch pattern barrel. If you use a Inch barrel you will need a breaching washer. If you are using a metric barrel you may need to shave the barrel shoulder for it to time properly, but no indexing washer is usually needed unless it has already had too much material removed from it.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by gska3873 View Post
    Metric (except Israeli and very early belgian made) and Inch breach threads on the barrel are both 1-16 threads. You should only have to clean up the threads on the barrel or receiver if they are rough and tight. I believe the barrel you are showing a link to is a green mountain barrel which will have LH threads on the muzzle versus the RH threads of a true Inch pattern barrel. If you use a Inch barrel you will need a breaching washer. If you are using a metric barrel you may need to shave the barrel shoulder for it to time properly, but no indexing washer is usually needed unless it has already had too much material removed from it.
    Great, thanks! That really helps.

Now one last question, I guess the gas block is just pinned on? Could I use the L1A1 gas block on a South African barrel, or would I have to use the original SA gas block?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The barrel from that website looks like a Green Mountain barrel. Last summer I got an L1A1 kit from IO Inc and it included a Green Mountain barrel.

I have 2 of the Century receivers. Both were extremely tight in the barrel threads. I considered buying a tap, but read on FAL Files to use some lapping compound on the threads. It worked great, and was much cheaper than a tap. The L1A1 bolt hold open is bigger diameter and fit into the Century metric receiver.

At first the kit didn't have the barrel shipped with it. Then a week later I got a package from IO with a nice RPK barrel, called and they shipped me the right barrel and a shipping label. Not bad to work with, they fixed their screw-ups.

According to research, either gas block will work. Just remove the pin and tap off.

The rear sights have differant heights (I think the Inch is taller). So if you install a metric gas block you'll have to find a metric rear sight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.