Thread: Inch vs. metric, sorry for the dumb question!

Feedback Score

Default Inch vs. metric, sorry for the dumb question!

Which is preferable? I'm thinking inch, as I think I recall inch can take both mags, but metric is metric only. Or is swapping a bad idea either way?

Looking at a couple kits, first trying to find out country of origin on kit, company and country, and same on receiver. Guys just lost interest, and wants to sell off his parts.

Anything to avoid on either?

Im trying to search this, but plugging in "inch metric" is yielding a LOT of results!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Since the magwell is in the receiver, the receiver type is what determines magazine type, not the kit. The inch mags have a large lug attached to the front while the metric mags have a small stamped out projection. The large lug won't fit in the smaller metric recess, but the metrics will fit in the larger inch. It will rattle around but usually does not cause feed problems. OTOH, the vast majority of mags out there are metric and they cost less.

As far as the kits go, I prefer the Inch style pistol grip and the selector is a lot easier to use. The hammer assembly is also captured, so parts can't go flying too far.

BTW, inch and metric are just a shorthand way of differentiating between the types. Both bbls have the same threads and will interchange on the receivers. Lowers interchange as well, although internals vary a bit as to pin size and such.

Feedback Score

I was wondering this as well.

Feedback Score

Inch mags are much harder to come by so they are more expensive. Sometimes as much as double the price.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Inch compliance parts are harder to find as well. Extended metric safety's are available, and several different after market PG options.

I think the question which is 'better' is all relative, but a metric would be easier to put together. And frankly, you have a lot more options available for metric.
    ...I'm not tense! Just terribly, terribly alert.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I went with metric. Bought the extended safety, SAW grip and a modified folding charging handle. At the time both mags were readily available, but a deal on inch mags were 2.5x of what I paid for metric mags. I had both types of kits so I sold the inch ones to a friend who waited something like 18+ months for inch receivers. I used to find inch and metric FAL mags mixed together occasionally at Fud shops for metric prices, but sometimes it was the other way around. I would always pick them up for my buddy to use in his inch guns. Haven't seen any deals like that in awhile, but I don't see many inch mags for sale anymore.

-yarro

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.