Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: APEX PARTS KIT G1 FAL BUILD

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    lol, thanks for the kind words sgt ron. My "projects" are spending dough on fixing my children's cars after unexpected breakdowns, paying for unexpected medical bills and vet bills on a sick pet.

Not that I'm lacking in kits, just drooled over getting a FAL (would have been my first). Next time!

hey! i do know what you mean, i went thru that already. good thing about getting to be an old man like me. if you survive there are rewards.
    grandkids.

love them, share good times with them. then send them home to the parents.

i know about the cost of pets, i have 2 sitting in my lap and one laying on my feet right now.

good luck.......when you get ready , we can walk you thru it, if you want or need some help.

ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Sgt Ron, I picked up a new Imbel receiver for either the G1 or the Belgian kit build at the gunshow last Saturday. The two kits both had their ups & downs, but what was odd was that for in order for the barrels to thread into the receiver, I had to chase the threads of both barrels with a 1.5mm thread file in the lathe. Did you have this problem? The Chilean rifle, which had a stub on the barrel, was fine as far as the threads were concerned; this may be why builders prefer a stub rather than a previously removed barrel.

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaAKM View Post
    Sgt Ron, I picked up a new Imbel receiver for either the G1 or the Belgian kit build at the gunshow last Saturday. The two kits both had their ups & downs, but what was odd was that for in order for the barrels to thread into the receiver, I had to chase the threads of both barrels with a 1.5mm thread file in the lathe. Did you have this problem? The Chilean rifle, which had a stub on the barrel, was fine as far as the threads were concerned; this may be why builders prefer a stub rather than a previously removed barrel.

usually it is the receiver that has the threads that need chasing. if it looks like the threads on the barrel are a problem i usually just screw them in a little and then back them out. i use neversieze and keep working it until it sets. take your time with this. ( i can only remember doing this one time.)

having thread problems is uaually not a problem unless someone pulls the barrels off the stubb without making the cut on the side of the stud. if they pull the barrel without cutting the stubb sometime it will deform the threads, ( not much, but just enough). that is why i usually like to remove my barrels from the studs.

keep us posted on your builds.

ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

this is what i have done with the other kit i got from apex.
    i used the israel stock set on them.
    both are 922r compliant.
    it is the one on the bottom.
    that are both 16-1/2" barrels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sgt ron; 12-27-2010 at 08:48 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Feedback Score

Sgt. Ron, I got a Imbel receiver from Tapco a few years ago that has the gear logo which was 80%. Have you ever finished one of these - and how much work is it to make it 100%
    I've never seen a sight that has completed one as a build. Any suggestions would be appreciated. On a different note I always cut the old receiver stub off with a 4" grinder and a chisel being careful not to grind into the BBL threads.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and goverment, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
    Sgt. Ron, I got a Imbel receiver from Tapco a few years ago that has the gear logo which was 80%. Have you ever finished one of these - and how much work is it to make it 100%
    I've never seen a sight that has completed one as a build. Any suggestions would be appreciated. On a different note I always cut the old receiver stub off with a 4" grinder and a chisel being careful not to grind into the BBL threads.
    i have never done a 80% receiver. i have never heard of a 80% imbel receiver either. i remember that century has some 80% receivers for $25 on sale one year, but they were not imbels.

that is how i cut the receiver stud off.

ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I am impressed Sgt Ron, very nice work. After looking at your work, posting mine is not something I want to post to use as comparison!

Quote Originally Posted by sgt ron View Post
    this is what i have done with the other kit i got from apex. i used the israel stock set on them.
    both are 922r compliant.

it is the one on the bottom.

i am going to use a different flash hider on them later. just not sure which one yet.
    that are both 16-1/2" barrels.

they are both the same length.

ron

did i mention i like the fal?

i should have had my wife order a couple of the G1 kits for me ( there was a limit of 2 kits per person.)

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

having thread problems is uaually not a problem unless someone pulls the barrels off the stubb without making the cut on the side of the stud. if they pull the barrel without cutting the stubb sometime it will deform the threads, ( not much, but just enough). that is why i usually like to remove my barrels from the studs.

This is my problem, as the barrels were purchased pulled by someone other than me. The threads looked weird if you looked at them from the side, almost as if you had double vision when doing the looking! The metric thread chasing file removed the problem without doing any damage or reducing the overall diameter of the barrel & threads!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaAKM View Post
    I am impressed Sgt Ron, very nice work. After looking at your work, posting mine is not something I want to post to use as comparison!
    don't be impressed with mine, they are just put together pieces of parts.
    please go ahead and post yours.

ron
    Last edited by sgt ron; 12-27-2010 at 08:46 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I am not fal-uent,but I my ucle showed me a few of his and I have to get one...or three.Anyway where i a good sourcefor barrels correctly profiled to mount the bipod?the barrels apex sells only mount the sling loop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.