Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: APEX PARTS KIT G1 FAL BUILD

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default APEX PARTS KIT G1 FAL BUILD

my $199 Apex G1 fal parts kit i got on wed of this week. i did the work on thursday.
    i got 2 kits and sorted out the best parts for this build. i will build one more later.
    i added a few parts,922r parts, cleaned up all the parts good, put them together, then refinished it.
    i don't like the G1 handguards, so i use the imbel ones.
    the last 2 pictures are after i buffed off the over spray.( it turns much darker) i used the rust-oleum specility hi-temp. black spray. after a week or so the finish will harden up enough. i will refinish it later when i get a park tank set up.
    i like to test shoot them before i do the final finish.

ron
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Nice! Looks like a great build.
    Retired US Navy
    NRA Life Member -- NAHC Life Member
    "Take, sink, burn, or destroy the enemy fleet": Lord St.Vincent's orders to Nelson off Toulon, 21 May 1798
    Pretty much spells it out, huh?

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

stg ron,
    Thanks for the write up on the G1 kits. I look forward to seeing mine when the get here next Tuesday. What type of receiver did you use for the build? Nice job!

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaAKM View Post
    stg ron,
    Thanks for the write up on the G1 kits. I look forward to seeing mine when the get here next Tuesday. What type of receiver did you use for the build? Nice job!
    i have had conversations with several people on different sites about what they got, almost all of them have been very happy with what they received from Apex. i have been buying from Apex for years and they have always sold me a very good product.

it is a $100 century receiver i bought few years ago when they had a big sale. i got a bunch of them. the only problem with any of them was some needed the threads where the barrel screws in chased with a tap. everything else works just fine. no more work than any of the other brands of receiver i have.

i have fal's and L1A1's built on several different receivers, so i know the difference and for the most part there is none. all brands can have problems. as long as it works i will use it. i don't get hung up on branding, some people do and it is ok wth me.

i have several fal's i have built for less than $300, but i bought them when the parts were a lot cheaper.

i am a very big fan of the fal's. for an overall good battle rifle i don't think there is anything any better than the fal.. i have had a very large collection of other military rifles, so i can say this. others may and will disagree, but that is also ok with me.

i also only buy type 3 receivers, i personally think the are a stronger receiver.
    i am not a purest on my fal builds. if i like something different i do it.
    some of my fal's i have sent off to ken kubin to install the barrel, locking lug, check timing, then i do the rest. ( these are for my grandsons) some i just do it all, those are mine to shoot.

i have several fal kits put back to build later, so the reason i bought these 2 G1 kits from Apex is so i can use the lowers for some special milled scope mounts i bought back in the 80's. they were made for the L1A1's with the verticle take down lever and didn't work well with most of the fal's with the horzional take down lever.

i am going to build another fal using the other G1 lower. this one will not have a bi-pod on it , but will have the scope mount. i will be using a higher power scope on it to get it out to around 1200 yards. just for fun......

ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Did you do anything to the butt stock? It looks like a new one.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Great looking build. My money's going elsewhere at this time or I would have grabbed a kit or two myself. Thanks for sharing pictures, looks like APEX has another winner.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 555th View Post
    Did you do anything to the butt stock? It looks like a new one.
    the butt stock is one i already had and i put it on it. it was a used stock and i cleaned it up and sanded it a little, i have not done the final finish on it yet.

the stock i got with the kit is very good, no cracks, no big dings. i will refinish it later and it will look as good or better than the one i put on this one. i may just swap it out.

it takes time to refinish the wood and that i don't get in a hurry on it. i usually do 3 or 4 at a time, but i have to get in the mood to do it. that is the part of building i don't care for.

the picture is the stock that came with the kit. i am very happy with it.

ron
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    Great looking build. My money's going elsewhere at this time or I would have grabbed a kit or two myself. Thanks for sharing pictures, looks like APEX has another winner.
    i know what you mean about other projects, i keep pushing back a few that i really need to complete.

i agree that Apex has a winner on this. it has helped several guys to get into building a fal. i am helping a few guys now to get there's built. to me that is the fun part.

a couple years ago i would not have thought this was a good buy on parts kits, but today is a different day and time.

good luck on you project.

ron
    Last edited by sgt ron; 12-27-2010 at 07:43 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Nice build
    Thanks for the pics and info.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

lol, thanks for the kind words sgt ron. My "projects" are spending dough on fixing my children's cars after unexpected breakdowns, paying for unexpected medical bills and vet bills on a sick pet.

Not that I'm lacking in kits, just drooled over getting a FAL (would have been my first). Next time!
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.