Gunco Forums banner

fal cast reciver work

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  muttman 
#1 ·
this post is just to show what I have come up with on making a 80% cast fal reciver to a 100% working reciver.
last photo is of a 80% welded to a cut off stub, will work for a pistol cal fal but this is not what I would like. next is ( pic#4 not mine) some work on the out side of the reciver first. this may not be a good idea; the casting is/are a reject and might be bent/twisted and eat up too mutch time to get it to fit in the milling jig and that is how they got on the market, some even have broke off tooling in pre cut holes.
This (pic#1,2,3,5) is my idea to keep every thing true during the "making chips" trip to the mill.
the idea is use the barrel as a reffrence point to work off of. onece the end of the reciver is squre, drilled and taped for the barrel and the gas tube nut a fake barrel with a .25" rod will be screwd in and used to reffrence off of for all internal cuts. with a .25" rod inplace a .125" shim will fit in the boldt guide slots and the charging handel slot (pic#5).
what do ya think so far. muttman

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
so I am a little confused... aren't most cut fal receivers forged or milled from steel? I would think that it would be hard to get a good strong weld between to dissimilar metals.

I am not a welding expert nor a Fal Expert so this is interesting to me.

Good luck witht he build!
Pat

#3 ·
Hello muttman,
A very cool project !!! I have thought of doing this also. The two sections of FAL are both alloy steel of similar composition. The main dfference is density so it will depend upon how well the cast section welds. Yours looks excellent from the pics.

The key item is the cool down rate in the heat affected zone. Let it cool very slowly so it doesn't pick-up undesired hardness and a tendancy to crack. I bet you knew that already. Depending upon the filler used the weld can be stronger than the casting.

When complete it would be a good idea to have the receiver heat treated by an experienced company. They would need to know the composition of the steel and the desired hardness to be achieved. Complex shapes are not easy to heat treat.

Thanks for sharing.

VD

#4 ·
Interesting concept, kind of like the VZ side plates idea but with a demil from Apex it might work. For $15.00 I think Ill give it a try. What could go wrong - Just about everything I guess. Knowing my luck there will be a 1/2" gap at the mag release pivot point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.