Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Toy/Project arrived today.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default New Toy/Project arrived today.

This is going to be my first FAL build and I think I picked up a great kit to start it with. It?s an STG-58 from ?GunThings.com? and makes all the other kits I?ve seen look like pieces of junk. The only wear I see is a little on the magazine, bolt carrier and bolt, the rest looks absolutely new, also all the numbers match. The cost was a bit high at $339.00, but I think it?s well worth it for a kit in this condition. I also picked up two ?Forster? Go and No-Go headspace gages in .308 for $38.00. Something they also carry is what?s called a ?Sling Thingy? (See Pic) that fits between the lower receiver and the butt stock, it has both a sling slot and a hole for a hook. I was looking for a better way to attach a sling to my present FAL rifle and this looks perfect for the job. It?s .128 thick and is parkerized, should last forever. Shipping for all this was only $10 and I had it 48 hours after I Faxed the order in. I would have to recommend these guys because of the quality of their kits and speed in shipping, definitely nothing like ?Joe-Ken?. Now all I need is the money to purchase all the USA made parts to put this rifle together. I could use any advice on the required USA made parts that I can get, I want to keep the original look of the rifle so I don?t want to replace the bipod, butt stock or handguard. I have a good looking fake flash hider that?s US made to replace the one on the kit, and will get a US made piston, pistol grip, FCG & receiver, that?s six or seven parts depending on how the grip is counted. Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? I hope to get a Coonan receiver because I?ve been told it?s the best, but I may have to settle for an IMBEL that?s imported by Century, this will change the part count depending on what I can get.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Moss Isley spaceport. You'll not find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"
    (Actually this better describes Washington than Moss Isley)

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

I really wish I had bought FAL kits back in the day before I had 2 kids under 2 and no money

Looks like a fun project OG.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Good looking kit. Was it originally Type 1 or 2 receiver ? (you should be able to tell from the upper receiver stub still attached to the barrel)

Coonan are nice receivers although it is investment cast steel. FWIW - I personally prefer drop forged Imbel or forged ingot DSA receivers just strictly for their better strength characteristics. Sometimes the wait on DSA receivers can be long - depends on type reciever you want and what's in the current production run

http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cf...64a63b$B7$F2x$
    http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cf...64a63b$B7$F2x$

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thumbs up

Thats my favorite FAL. Did you get pin guages? MSC has them cheap. You may want to check out Arizona Response Systems Mark (Gun Plumber) is one of the leading experts on FALs. His videos and work book are the best. Jack
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

What ever it is I'm against it.
    Always question authority.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I have had good luck and not so good luck with the Century receivers. The Imbel receivers are fantastic!!!
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scubadvr
    Thats my favorite FAL. Did you get pin guages? MSC has them cheap. You may want to check out Arizona Response Systems Mark (Gun Plumber) is one of the leading experts on FALs. His videos and work book are the best. Jack
    Without a doubt the folks at ARS are outstanding.

Just in case you didn't already know, here's another excellent source of build data for the FAL
    http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

falfiles.com is a fantastic board. Check out these two sites for parts: Gunparts Guy and Dereck .
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Yep I?d like to get a DSA receiver but the price is rather high from what I remember, something like twice what a Coonan cost. Anyone have the current prices? I?d take a Type 1,2, or 3 as long as it has the cutout for the carry handle; I like the handle it adds a lot to the looks of the gun. I guess I?ll give them a call today after I call FAC and see what they have coming in.
    I found ?GunThings.com? when I was over at ?falfiles.com? reading about problems with the Century?s receivers, some of the guy?s talked about the great kits they received from GunThings so I tripped on over and liked what I saw. Holy c*ap, I think using the phrase ?tripped on over? comes from back in the 60?s, man I?m getting old! Well any way I also tripped on over to Enco to look for the pin gauges and picked up a 250 piece set that?s on sale for under $50. They run .251 to .500 and are 2 inches long and come in a wood case, should work fine for doing the headspacing. I?ll take a look at the other places that you all have suggested later on today.
    I still would like to know about the parts count.
    1. Frames receivers, receiver castings, forgings, or stampings----X
    2. Barrels
    3. Barrel Extensions
    4. Mounting blocks (trunnions)
    5. Muzzle attachments-------------------------------------------X
    6. Bolts
    7. Bolt carriers
    8. Operating rods
    9. Gas pistons ----------------------------------------------------X
    10. Trigger housings
    11. Triggers-------------------------------------------------------X
    12. Hammers-----------------------------------------------------X
    13. Sears---------------------------------------------------------X
    14. Disconnectors
    15. Buttstocks
    16. Pistol grips ---------------------------------------------------X
    17. Forearms, handguards
    18. Magazine bodies
    19. Followers
    20. Floorplates
    Looks like I ?ve got enough US parts, Right? I may put a DSA butt stock on so I have 8 parts.
    "Moss Isley spaceport. You'll not find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"
    (Actually this better describes Washington than Moss Isley)

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

it looks like you would have enough parts. Parts count is posted at http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=306 or also at falfiles there is a list at http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...light=count%2A and here is a copy and paste of it:

"No more than 10 evil parts allowed.

List of evil parts found on a FAL follows:
    (1) Receiver
    (2) Barrel
    (3) Muzzle attachment
    (4) Bolt
    (5) Bolt carrier
    (6) Gas piston
    (7) Trigger housings (lower receiver)
    (8) Operating rod (charging handle)
    (9) Trigger
    (10) Hammer
    (11) Sear
    (12) Buttstock
    (13) Pistol grip
    (14) Handguards
    (15) Magazine body
    (16) Magazine Follower
    (17) Magazine Floorplate

You will need to replace original imported parts with 7 US parts if you have a muzzle attachment, or 6 parts with no muzzle attachment."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Falfiles is a bitchin site. Lots of good data to build that boss STG kit you have your hands around - geez you started a 60's flashback in my brain...

Did I do that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.