Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FAL receiver types

Feedback Score

How are the Apex barrels Ron?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pmr1010 View Post
    How are the Apex barrels Ron?
    they have been very good so far. there is not much finish on the outside, but it apears they were shot very little.
    i have been buying 1 or 2 every week or so to have them for some future builds ( be sure to buy the gas block with them. i have also been buying bolts and carriers when i can find them at a good price. everything else can be fabricated or there is plenty at this time.

ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Feedback Score

Ok, so I bought the parts from Sprat1 and they look great, Thanks again for the Great box of stuff!

Now that I have an Imbel parts kit instead of the G1 kit I was looking at originally, which receiver is the correct one for this? Coonan and DSA seem to get the highest praises but DSA claims there's is better. Obviously, I would say that too. But is there a difference between the drop forged/milled receiver DSA has and the investment cast/milled receiver that Coonan makes? And Type I, II, or III? What type to be correct that is.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

IIRC, Imbel only made Type III receivers. If ya wanna be really correct, use an original Imbel "gear logo" receiver.

https://www.cogunsales.com/index.php...uct-flyer.html

Drop forged receivers are a bit stronger than cast, the grain structure of the metal is aligned with the stress areas by the forging process and is tougher to break. IIRC, a forging is able to take about 20% more stress before breaking than an identical casting. That's why Ruger investment cast revolvers tend to be just a bit "chunkier" than a forged S&W for example.

Feedback Score

So firing semi-auto for the casual target shooting, the difference would probably never be noticed or experienced. Much as you indicated earlier regarding the Type III and it's stronger/heavier build.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've used the imbels on my 3 builds and it was easy as 1,2,3 and a bit higher value when they were sold later down the road. I think if I was doing anouther though I'd use the type3 forged, just because there stronger and would be better for target and long range use. And if I do anouther, my next one would be a full blown target gun W/ bull bbl. and set up for a bench/long range gun only. And as we all know ,you'll never get your bucks back out of a custom bench gun, I've put 2-3K into a couple plus massive hours of tuning and tweeking and been lucky to get 1k outa them down the road. Guess it's just all about what you want to end up with, just don't expect to get your investment back later. Just something you'll be able to shoot the nuts off a knat at 500 meters with, and something that you built yourself, and that's not a bad thing. Lots of satisfaction there.

Feedback Score

My only concern with the DSA forged receiver is that DSA has spotty customer service from what I understand. Coonan has very good customer relations and that goes a long way.

Please correct me if my thinking is going to be a disservice to me. I haven't built a FAL before and I do want the better receiver, especially on a nice Imbel kit.

Feedback Score

[quote=kernelkrink;654687]IIRC, Imbel only made Type III receivers. If ya wanna be really correct, use an original Imbel "gear logo" receiver.

https://www.cogunsales.com/index.php...uct-flyer.html

Drop forged receivers are a bit stronger than cast, the grain structure of the metal is aligned with the stress areas by the forging process and is tougher to break. IIRC, a forging is able to take about 20% more stress before breaking than an identical casting.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************

Hello, fng here

I'd be with the kernel on this one. Imbel Gear Logo is "correct" for the kit and is one of the very best quality FAL receivers out there. Here's a thread from the FALfiles that compares the different receivers in some depth.

The FAL Files - DSA receivers vs. Imbel, Argy, etc.

Imbel Gear logos can be found a lot cheaper than $599.- Up until a short time ago the 2001 NOS Imbel GL was selling on GB for about $425.- 3 of these just came up for sale on the FALfiles for the same price. There's one left. I don't know the seller personally but he has a good rep.

WTS Three (3) Imbel Gear-Logo Receivers - The FAL Files

Hope this helped

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

So what type receiver is correct for a Chilean parts kit?
    Want to buy: Tantal Left and Right side selector parts.

RRORC!
    I'm no sheep!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Not familiar with the Chilean model. If your kit came with receiver pieces you should be able to get a few pics of the various types and compare the machining on them. The lightening cuts are pretty distinctive between the 3rd and the other types.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

fal receiver type iii

fal receiver types

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.