Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FAL receiver types

Feedback Score

Default FAL receiver types

OK, So I'm cheap and that's what makes me ask this. I was looking at an L1A1 kit today and saw Coonan makes a few types of FAL receievr. What's the difference between the types? Can I use a Type 3 receiver on a G1 kit?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Type 1, 2, and 3 metric FAL receivers differ in the machining details. IIRC, the type 1 and 2 are similar except for how some of the lightening cuts are made. The type 3 was essentially a cost cutting/strengthening measure and eliminated most of the cuts to save machine time, it is also a bit heavier duty. Not much difference in function between the 3 in a semi as it never receives the pounding a FA milspec FAL does. All Metric FAL kits should fit any of the 3 types of receiver. However, many desire a "correct" rebuild of their kit, so the G1 would take a type 1 to match what it was originally built with. IIRC, Coonan makes a G1 specific receiver with the proper markings and such, you can also get a custom serial number to match the one on your kit. If you just want an economical receiver that works, the Type 3 will work fine with the G1 kit.

The L1A1 kits will need an Inch spec receiver to "drop in". You can modify a few things to get them to work on metric receivers though. The bbl threads are the same on both inch and metric.

Of course, the L1A1 mags only fit an L1A1 receiver due to the large tab on the front, metric mags will work in either one but are a bit floppy loose in an L1A1 receiver.

The unique one is the Israeli FAL receiver, it has it's own spec bbl threads.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pmr1010 View Post
    OK, So I'm cheap and that's what makes me ask this. I was looking at an L1A1 kit today and saw Coonan makes a few types of FAL receievr. What's the difference between the types? Can I use a Type 3 receiver on a G1 kit?
    if you are cheap, then do not buy the first kit. it never ends.
    ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

shame you are cheap I have a few imbel kits and ALL the tools to do this build
    I want to sell
    sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sgt ron View Post
    ron
    Been there, Done that...
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Sprat, I may be intersted in one of those kits after the first of the year. How much you asking? What kind of specific tools are required to do a FAL build?
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sgt ron View Post
    ron
    I fully agree.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

PMR

returned PM sent

sprat

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

2nd

PM sent

sprat

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

i use the fal type three on most of my fal builds. they are much cheaper to buy. if your the least bit anal then they may not work for you. most of mine will be just used for shooting, so it doesn't matter to me.

lately i have been using the Coonan type 3. if you get them from Sarco they were having a special. i think i paid around $260 for them. i don't know if they are still on sale. Coonan had them for that price last month also.

if you watch century they put there receivers on sale. i got 2 last week for around $128 each( they sold out fast. i got the last 2). i have several fal's built with century receivers and they will go together as easy as the other brands. they shoot just fine.

finding good kits to build on is becoming a problem. if you can find one, then just buy it. the price just keeps going up around $5 to $10 every month for the last few months.

IMHO< the best buy around is the G-1 at APEX. $275 plus $75 for a barrel. they are well used, so plan on finding a few parts that will need to be replaced.

just buy it all and start asking questions.

good luck.
    ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

fal receiver type iii

fal receiver types

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.