Gunco Forums banner

FAL/AR hybrid?? INPUT wanted...

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Sangrun Hunter 
#1 ·
OK guys, I have been kicking this idea around various forums for about a year now and havent ever got much feedback from it... I am going to buy the parts and try it eventually...

I want to use an AR-15 upper receiver assembly married to a FAL lower assembly w/a custom adaptor piece that also has the magwell with it. I propose to use the AR bolt carrier, shortened appropriately (if at all..) and modified w/a lug to mount a FAL type "rat-tail" to act on the FAL recoil spring.

The way I see it, I would use a .223 AK magazine along with an AK magrelease attached to an "adaptor" to mate the upper and lower together. I figure as long as the hammer hits the FP in the correct position and the magazine aligns w/the bolt, it shouldnt have any problems...

I would serial number the adaptor and it would become the firearm (I think?) since the upper and lower themselves would not be firearms when split apart.

I have used scale-pictures and blueprint drawings cut up and it really looks like it would work w/out a problem. There is no point behind this other than to make something unique from 2 non-guns....

THANKS

JP

See less See more
#5 ·
That sounds good....too bad AR-10 parts are super expensive... On that note, why dont we see demilled AR/M16 parts kits from places like Israel?? I mean surely there are some clapped out AR/M16s out there that could make good parts kits, no?? I want to see M16's demilled for $150 like you do for AKs....I could afford to build an AR then, LOL. When an upper costs what a whole AK does, theres no contest which Ill build...its all about those C-Notes ya know....

Thanks for the input...

#6 ·
I dont understand why the BATF considers an AR upper not a firearm, but a FAL upper IS...weird??? I mean come on if you take an AR upper, remove the gas tube, load a round in and lock the bolt up, it WOULD fire by hitting the firing pin with something (rock/framing hammer/etc) doesnt this make the upper a self-contained firearm?? The logic baffles me....

Anyone got a CHEAP/USED upper for an AR? I dont care what length/twist/handguards or even if it has forward assist, I just want something to tinker with. My mom wont let me play with her SGW/Oly Arms AR we built when I was younger before the ban....

#7 ·
There were used M16 parts a few years ago except for the lower. There just isn't enough out there in use by other countries and Israel hasn't had many of theirs long enough.

Countries that I know use the 16.

USA
Israel
Mexico
Canada
Philipines

Maybe a couple of more, but stack that against the AK and FAL and it is a huge difference!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.