Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rhodesian FAL Questions?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The cross pin I see on mine is on the RH side, facing front-to-back, and can be seen in this pic:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/FN...k/DSCN0237.JPG

That's the only cross-pin that I see. Looking more closely, I can almost bet that is how it comes apart. It seems that cross pin is driven out, then the vertical hinge pin - the main one - is driven downward from the top. The latch mechanism appears to be designed so that it will move to the "unlatched" position (button engaged) when it is hammered out. That's my guess. In that schematic, the parts that will be hammered out are shown down behind the pistol grip. Appears to be a spring and that long stepped shaft. The pin behind it is what keeps the stock tubes installed on the rear boss.

The little front-to-back cross pin that starts this off is shown just to the left of that guy's blue arrow.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Foobarr
    HCPookie,
    I got the FAL tools, chop saw, barrel die, sand blaster, and 6-hrs of Gunplumbers' FAL DITY videos. Bring a 12-pack.
    I'll have to take you up on that!

OK so let me get this straight -

The parts that make a para different from a normal FAL are:
    - the bolt carrier
    - top cover
    - receiver cut
    - buttstock

Correct?

That milling operation on the carrier seems trivial - one relief cut in the rear only? Or on both the front and the rear?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Jerry== I know nothing of value here but Gunplumber posted on the board the other day and I think his post had a link. He may be helpful.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Either way I can't wait for the pics of this build!!!
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Here's my math -

$100 "needs work" para stock
    $200 rhodie kit
    $150-$250 coonan (?) receiver
    +US parts
    +para carrier *OR* quality shop time tweaking a normal carrier into a para style (aka the gunplumber method).

Say, $600-700 give-or-take for a beater Para build? I'm not talking a safe queen, just something to kick around with. In fact I may weather the receiver & stock to match the kit's 'used' appearance. Beats the $2800 I saw for the last one I had priced at a gun show.

Dunno, but I think this sounds like a good investment to me. Going to have to buy some of those stocks...

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I located the retainer pin. The ends were peened and dressed off like the AK gas piston pin, and it was painted over. That won't be too tough to get apart.

I'm also going to make a replacement screw out of steel for the stock block, like the ones being sold on FALFiles.
    The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Cephus
    HEY RHINO WHEN ARE YA GOING TO FINISH MY .45 I'M WAITING ==LMAO
    POOKIE QUIT DISTRACTING HIM HE'S GOT OTHER WORK TO DO.
    I WANT TO SEE THE BOTH OF YA THE AUGUST SHOOT ,NO EXCUSES THIS TIME.LOL
    what shoot?
    you got to kill it to grill it...Ted Nugent

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Cephus
    HEY RHINO WHEN ARE YA GOING TO FINISH MY .45 I'M WAITING ==LMAO
    POOKIE QUIT DISTRACTING HIM HE'S GOT OTHER WORK TO DO.
    I WANT TO SEE THE BOTH OF YA THE AUGUST SHOOT ,NO EXCUSES THIS TIME.LOL
    I'm working away at it... The barrel is almost finished. I'm going to get the bolt and carrier welded up next weekend (hopefully). I'm also going to get the sleeve attached so the RPK handguard retainer will work.

Then it's on to the receiver work. In the meantime, I'm doing a little work on the furniture, so it'll be ready for final assembly. I'm going to do all the pieces in shellac to match the RPK lower handguard.
    The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    Here's my math -

Say, $600-700 give-or-take for a beater Para build? I'm not talking a safe queen, just something to kick around with. In fact I may weather the receiver & stock to match the kit's 'used' appearance. Beats the $2800 I saw for the last one I had priced at a gun show.

Dunno, but I think this sounds like a good investment to me. Going to have to buy some of those stocks...
    While you get your SA kit on order, keep an eye on this thread for internal para parts:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R
    Jerry== I know nothing of value here but Gunplumber posted on the board the other day and I think his post had a link. He may be helpful.
    Winn I've looked and see thathe only posted on the duracoat painting thread. Do you mean FALFILES? I've seen his older post where he described milling down, then welding up the hump.

After looking at the differences of the carriers, it seems to me I could do the same with some thick-walled steel tubing and judicous MIG work. IOW, mill flat that entire section, mill a groove for the thick tubing, weld it in position, SLOWLY weld up the sides, then finally mill smooth. It doesn't seem to hard, but would be a TON of time. May be easier to buy the DSA carrier

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.