Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rhodesian FAL Questions?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Rhodesian FAL Questions?

I've talked myself into building a beater FAL, somethign that I won't cry about if I scratch it. NOT a safe queen.

My plan is to buy a cheap-o kit & Sarco folding stock, chop the barrel, and build it into a folding stock carbine.

Been looking at some of the mid-range FAL kits that are currently available. I don't want to use an STG kit because they are so darned nice, that I'd like to see them go fulfill their destiny. So I'm looking at either Rhodesian FAL kits or one of the other "used" kits floating around out there. Currently here's what I've found:

http://www.ammunitionstore.com - Rhodie kit
    http://www.gunthings.com - "South African" kits (looks like Rhodie kits to me, probably are)
    http://www.sarcoinc.com/fnfal.html - assorted FAL kits
    http://www.thedealerwarehouse.com - misc FAL stuff

OK so I've grown tired of search 8 bazillion posts on FALFILES

Questions I have:
    1. What is needed to convert a normal FAL to folding stock? What parts?
    2. Anyone have the skinny on how well Rhodie parts kits shoot? 2 MOA? 10? Tumbling bullets?

TIA,
    - Jerry

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

DSA makes a milled aluminum top cover that does not need the "para cut". The cover has the scope rail, so it eliminates any possibility of original appearance. The para cut can be made in any receiver, but this cover eliminates the need to do any extra work.

DSA also makes a para bolt carrier. This thing isn't cheap, but it does get you another U.S. part.

I bought the top cover, para recoil spring set, and bolt carrier to go with my Sarco folding lower. These parts set me back about $235, but I had been unable to find a para carrier and I really like the DSA scope rail top cover on my Imbel. A para rear sight will run you another $55 to $60 from DSA. You can get various other sights that can be adapted to the para lower, as seen on the FALFiles.

The Sarco lower is stripped, but you can reuse the latch parts, hammer strut, and triggerguard from your parts kit. Be careful when you get around to refinishing it. There's a post on FALFiles showing the Sarco buttpad melted during a refinishing episode.

I bought 3 kits from Gunthings, and every one was underrated according to their descriptions. The kits are ugly on the outside, but cleaned up nicely. The bores were great and there wasn't excessive play once the bolt and carrier were installed in the receiver.

After looking at the Ammunitionstore.com ad, I would probably go with the Gunthings.com South African kit. It's a few dollars more, but it's not a jumble of mixed parts.

If you go with an FSE trigger group, U.S. piston, U.S. charging handle, DSA carrier, and U.S. floorplates, you'll have your 7 parts. This would allow you to use a cheaper Imbel imported receiver. Tapco carries the gas pistons, charging handles, and furniture (if you want to swap pistol grip and handguards).
    The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

DSA Extreme Duty Para Scope Mount:

http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cf...opemntpara.gif

DSA Para Bolt Carrier

http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cf...e=paracarr.gif

It is possible that the DSA receiver already has the para cut for use with all configurations. The only options when I ordered it was Type I, II, or III, with or without carry handle cut.

I installed both of these on my standard DSA Type 1 receiver and it functions perfectly. When I ordered the carrier, I asked if there was any special machining that was needed on the receiver to use it, they told me no. I was under the impression that the para cut was just a relief for the extra tab on the top cover. Of course, I did tell them that I had a DSA receiver...

The first pic is the inside of the receiver. It sure looks like the para cut...

The second pic shows the clearance between the DSA para bolt and DSA receiver.

Do you have a pic of the inside of an Imbel or Coonan receiver?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2
    Wow, para bolt don't need a para cut.

I like to see that too!
    I didn't say bolt, I said cover... I'm thinking my DSA receiver already has the clearance cut in it. I was under the impression that only the cover needed a relief cut. I never even thought about building a paratrooper version before because of the cost of parts, so I never bothered researching the extra machining.

The DSA bolt looks identical to the one that frankie posted.

Here's a FALFiles thread that talks about making the para cut.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=120850

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Nah, Jerry's the kind of guy to make a custom cutter to do his own para cut.

After I looked up the pic of the para cut on FALFiles, I thought it looked kind of familiar. DSA must add the cut on all their receivers to make it easy to build a paratrooper version. That would explain why my rifle functioned perfectly with both carriers...

It looks like I better plan on making a cutter if I'm going to use an Imbel receiver (unless they can be ordered with the cut).

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Yeah DSAs Para bolt carriers and Para dust covers are back ordered right now. I 'm waiting on both now. I have a DSA type 2 receiver and was told all I needed was their bolt carrier para spring set and cover and sight. I purchased the Sarco "Rhodesian Para stock and para sight. I hope my receiver is like Rhino's!!!
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

BTW aren't there any more Imbel kits around? They would be a good choice HC.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Whew, just checked and mine is just like Rhino's.
    Gunco member #11

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "RPG kaboom tank!"

Comrade Soldier Koverchenko

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Nice pics Templar. I've always loved their camo pattern and the innovative vehicles they made. I bought a brand new camo field jacket and a used LS shirt and pants back in the eighties but they are all a medium size and I outgrew them.
    Gunco member #11

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.