Thread: AR15 6.8mm parts kit

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Default AR15 6.8mm parts kit

I'm looking to build a AR15 6.8mm rifle. I have the receiver now who makes the best parts kits. for these.

Does anyone make replacement mag followers for the AR15 mags to convert them from .223 to 6.8? I know the mag housings are the same I want to convert some of my mags.
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Best parts kit? Probably Barrett followed by Bushmaster, but they are the most expensive options as well. Cheapest option is probably www.model1sales.com I have a .223 Upper assembly from them and it has worked well so far but many of the members at ARF.com say they are junk and only Colt is good. DPMS also makes an upper assembly in 6.8SPC. I think if I delve into 6.8 SPC I will get the DPMS. www.jtdistributing.com sells lower receiver small parts kits for like $60 and they are high quality. Better than Model 1. I heard from someone that JT's lower parts kit is a Colt equivalent.

I feel that if I get a 6.8SPC AR I will use it for 0 to 300 yards and more of an open sight or low power optics rifle. I plan on getting a 6.5 Grendel for doing some more serious accuracy shooting and going out to the longer distances. 6.5 Grendel is better all around in my opinion but it's good to have options.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have a Superior Arms lower with a DPMS M4 upper in 6.8. I'm happy with it. The followers can be had from www.cproductsllc.com. It is highly recommended that you use a stainless steel or steel mag, as the rounds will bulge the sides of an alminum mag. CProducts($25) and Precision Reflex($40) have mags. And I see Pro Mag puts one out as well.

edit link

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

My dad and bro both have new lowers and we've been talking about adding 6.8 to our family inventory.

Now that *everyone* has a 6.8 upper, I'm interested in knowing if the last few years has brought out anything critical that they need to know about. From this thread:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f255/mon...98/index2.html

... it seems the big deal is non-aluminum mags and the use of 6.8 followers. Not a biggie there.

I guess the other questions are what do we need to consider for optimum bullet selection, etc. My brother is really set on Model1 uppers. He's had good luck with his since he built his a few years ago and it is still going strong even though he RARELY cleans it. Had some fun with him since I saw it when visited last weekend. Any 6.8 preferences or experience to share?
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

from what little i have shot the 6.8spc all i could recommend is the slower rates of twist around 11-12 inches to 1 and the spc 2 chamber so you can hand-load the hot loads for it. most of the recent made barrels have this type of set up. try to not lose any brass! it is expensive now days!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I just purchased my first complete 6.8 rifle, a Stag 5, very nice gun, comes with a CProducts magazine, be careful with the Cproducts mags, the dealer I bought the rifle from gave me two free mags when I bought the gun and one of them while clearly built as a 6.8 Mag had a 5.56 marked follower installed in it, I have not contacted CProducts yet, I am going to see if it works as is. One thing I have done to make the 6.8 mags differ in appearance to my 5.56 mags is to install ranger floor plates in all my 6.8 mags, that way hopefully they won't get mixed up. Stag also sells just the complete upper as well.

FR

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

rock river also has them, there quality is excellent as well as the prices.

Feedback Score

their 24'' 6.5 kit is interesting !

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.