Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ar build noob help..

Feedback Score

Default ar build noob help..

New to AR's and I'm planning on building a 20in A2 or A3. I unfortunately live in a state where bayo lugs and threaded flashiders are tools of the devil, so my question is where can I get a complete upper assembly without these features. I'd like to pin on an ak-74 style muzzle brake. I'm partial to bushmaster or DPMS, but I am a humble noob to the AR game so feel free to enlighten me.

Thanks

Feedback Score

Check the boards at AR15.com - guys there are always selling stuff and can probably help with the legal bits. Bushy made plenty of 'post-ban' uppers, so there should be something that will meet your needs from them.

Good luck!

GsT

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

All of the major sellers (Model 1, J&T, Rock River, M&A, etc) offer their uppers and kits in preban configuration. These come with a permanently attached brake and no bayo lug.

Here's an example.
    http://www.model1sales.com/item-deta...e=s20postk.gif

Feedback Score

Ok, I'll check around then. Also if I was to find a complete upper minus the bolt would the barrel need to headspaced to that specific bolt?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

In theory, No.
    The headspace in a AR is set by the barrel extension, any bolt/carrier combo SHOULD headspace correctly, but I would verify it anyway.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Model 1 sales seems to have te best price on kits. I am unsure of the quality as I have never bought from them before.
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I have built 3 using Model-1's kits, 2 for myself and 1 for a friend.
    All have gone together without issue and have never missed a beat.
    I have another stripped lower I picked up a while back. It too will most likely be built using model1 parts, as soon as I figure out what I want to do with it. Since I already have two in 5.56, I'm leaning towards something in 6.8SPC or 6.5 grendel

Feedback Score

Ok I'll check em out. I'd like to use quality parts like Bushy, or DPMS. I'm sure everyone has a diff opinion on what the best is. Been seeing most of the uppers for sale are 16in M4's. Might go that route and pick up a 20 in later. I think that might look cool with one of those stubby LE entry stocks instead of a collapsable. In my state I would need to pin the collapsable anyways so might as well get a solid stock. Never seen one of those at the range either. Also, I saw a stripped carbon-15 reciever for sale. Are those any better or worse than the traditional alloy?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I have built 4 ARs using model 1 kits that have all functioned flawlessly. I assembled all on DPMS lower receivers. I also had one of their barrels on M16 until I change the configuration. It functioned without issue as well.

-Yarro

Feedback Score

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaracer03
    Ok, I'll check around then. Also if I was to find a complete upper minus the bolt would the barrel need to headspaced to that specific bolt?
    While checking, you might find at least one place that has multiple and continuing complaints. Avoid him.

Headspace should always be checked. We did so in the military.
    And bolts should never be switched among rifles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.