Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: AR Retro Build

Yo, what up my Ninja! gmanindahood's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Very nice uechiguy. They are easy, like snapping together Legos. That's how I did my first one, complete M16 upper put on an assembled lower half. My lower receiver is Tactics LLC, the furniture I pieced together from stuff at shows and ARFCOM and the lpk is DPMS. I've since added original "dimpled" takedown/pivot pins as well as a horizontally lined mag release button and just picked up a correct selector switch that doesn't have the selector notch on the opposite side. All I need now is a correct bolt catch and a triangular charging handle. So the search continues...
    I was able to finally take the gun out to the range for the first time about a week and a half ago. It ran flawlessly, and I tried everything I could including loading up all of my mags and firing, dropping, and reloading as fast as I could. The barrel was burning but it never missed. I was also surprised at how accurate it was after sighting it in. I don't know if it was because it was so light but I actually had better groups with it than I did with my Bushmaster using only iron sights. I LOVE this gun!!
    I am starting to piece together my next build, a slabside A1. I have the upper and lower receivers so far as well as a few small parts. This one I plan on doing part by part, no complete assemblies. That should make it more interesting. By the way uechiguy, have you had a chance to fire it yet and also, do you plan on building another one? Me personally, I'm hooked on 'em. Keep up the good work!
    It takes a nation of millions to hold us all back!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I bought a stripped lower and had it assembled in about 1.5 hours. I used vise grips to press in the roll pins instead of a hammer and punch. Put some clp on them and they went right in. I just pressed a little with each squeeze. Taped up the jaw of the vise grips and was happy not to have a singlr scratch from the install. So my lower is not correct style but I like how it looks.

I test fired the other night and was flawless function. Only a minor adjustment to get it zeroed. I was very happy with this project.

My upper was in excellent condition. Wish I would have gotten 2!

I was thinking of building a retro after looking at yours and the next day my friend showed me and ad for the uppers. So I got one. Glad I did now.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Only pic I have of my Colt SP1 purchased new back in 1981 for about the same price a complete upper w/ bolt goes for these days. The scope doesn't mesh with the rifle. I have a more proper Colt style from that time, but no pic of it.

I'm in the sloooooooooooowwww process of building an A1 type with the forward assist. Got a complete upper less bolt/carrier and charging handle from Ohio Ordnance Works. They're selling them as exc condition. What I got looked new/unissued. Got a Colt bolt/carrier and charging handle left over from a trade years ago. M16 carrier so I may need to mod it or further check the "implications" of using it for a semiauto assembly. Also working towards an M4 clone. All I have in that department is a completed DPMS lower with 6 position stock. Don't care for the cheap Tapco stock. Feels, well, cheapo.

I could use a three prong flash hider if anyone has a spare. Used Standard butt stock as well. I'll have to check out Northridge, but like already mentioned those folks are slow to ship stuff. Might go the Sarco route, but they can be real slow too.

Still waiting for a RRA lower I've had on order since the beginning of time.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Beautiful SP1 RetVet. Don't ever sell it. I may have an A1 non-trapdoor buttstock and a 3 prong FH for you if you are interested. Just let me know and I'll get you a price.
    uechi, good to see that you had success using the vise grip method. I was going to try that but was afraid that I would tear up the receiver so instead I taped everything up on it and used the roll pin punches. Everything went in o.k. but I think it would have gone smoother if I did it the same as you. Another way of doing it is to get a set of roll pin "starter" punches. I think this method might be easiest of all but the punches seem to be impossible to find. If anyone knows where I can get a set please let me know. Thanks, gman.

Feedback Score

I have a Colt SP-1 M16 conversion, done for some movie long ago. Everything on the gun has been replaced other than the registered receiver, but it has gotten me interested in putting together an early model AR15. Thanks for the pics.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye Mole
    I have a Colt SP-1 M16 conversion, done for some movie long ago. Everything on the gun has been replaced other than the registered receiver, but it has gotten me interested in putting together an early model AR15. Thanks for the pics.
    Good to hear that we fired up the interest in your build. It's the thrill of the hunt for the original parts that I think make putting together a retro AR so much fun. I loved completing my AK builds but it wasn't difficult to find any part that I needed with just the click of a mouse (granted, I only built Romys and I know that the more exotic AKs are not as easily aquired). Just make sure that you hold on to that receiver, unless you find it in the goodness of your soul to sell it to me! Seriously though, if you need any help in locating some of the parts feel free to send me a message and if I can, I will gladly help. As will others on this site. Here is a sample of some of the parts I have for an AR (with other stuff thrown in). Some retro, some current. I do have other stuff that's not pictured and I have also sold and/or traded some of the stuff in this pic after it was taken. Just make sure that you keep posting and send some pics if you got them. --gman.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.