Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AR Retro Build

Yo, what up my Ninja! gmanindahood's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default AR Retro Build

Here are some pics of my newly completed Retro AR build (My Bushmaster is in some of the pics). Tried to preserve the used look by not refinishing most of the parts. I used a DPMS lower kit which explains the dark lower pins, selector, etc.. I will refinish those parts to get them to match the upper & lower. I am happy with the way it came out.-gman
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It takes a nation of millions to hold us all back!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Verry cool....
    I just got my 1st AR-15 carbine (Stag) and now I want to do a retro. I'm hunting down a A-1 stock set now. AR's are just as addicting as AK's
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.”
    Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

looks good real close to my colt sp1 flat side

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks guys. This build was alot of fun, trying to track down parts at shows and on the net. There are still a few things I need to do to make it more "correct" such as dimple out the take down pins, change the bolt release lever a little bit, etc.. Also, since I live in N.J. I have to lose the bayo lug and change the flash hider to a muzzle brake. At the Harrisburg show a few weeks ago I almost purchased an SP1. Kinda regret walking away from it. I was amazed at how tight the gun was. The upper and lower were tighter on that old gun than they are on my new Bushmaster! Fatboy, if you wouldn't mind could you please send me a few close ups of your Colt to see if there are any other small things that I can do to make mine more authentic? It would be much appreciated. The receiver on my build is actually brand new. Couldn't get a much better color match. I got it off of the AR site from a guy who used to manufacture them. He only had a couple left so I bought two. I like the partial fence lowers and this guy did a pretty good job. jjglith, the stock set you see on the gun was actually very, very beat up when I got it. I used a bench buffer with soft pads an very fine compounds to get the nice, shiney finish. It came out pretty well I think. I have another set in pretty bad shape but I think I can get them to come back also. If I can I'll look you up for a possible sale if your interested. In the meantime, Northridge International sells the stock, grip, and handguards as a set that they list as good condition (the set I received was in fair but usable shape) for $19.99, which is a pretty good price (they also sell a set with other accessories for more). The only problem is they take a long time to ship. I waited six weeks. Sarco also has almost everything that you could use for the build. I have an extra three prong flash hider if your interested. Anyway, thanks again for the responses. -gman

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

yeh i can send ya some pics just let me know what parts

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks. I'm interested in things like the takedown pins, charging handle, mag release button, upper forge markings, front sight block markings, and barrel stampings. How well do you know the Colt rifles? I'm trying to figure out when the upper/barrel was made and also hope to find out barrel twist (I know it should be 1:12) and whether it is chrome lined. It's very clean but I'm not 100% positive it is chrome lined. Any help/pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again. Still plan on the camo Duracoat AK, just got sidetracked by this build. My e-mail is louzx10r@comcast.net if you wanted to send pics there. -gman

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

If anyone else has any retro AR builds please post pics.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

I found this company who sometimes has SP-1 kits and has some A-1 parts. Their at the bottom of this page.
    http://www.hdps.org/htm/3.htm
    I emailed them about finding me a good complete stock set. The are looking for me. But if it doesn't work out. I'll be contacting you re: your extra stock set and your other stuff. Searching for the right parts for a retro build is like treasure huntin' ......you never know what your going to find.
    Thanks
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.”
    Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

for the uppers the i think the flatside was first [vietnam era] then they added the foward assest near the end of the war the barrel should be chrome the later one were mostly chrome lined i also have 2 evtra buttstocks 2 grips and 1 hand gaurd set they arent the shiny set but they are a1 that i might what to get rid of also i'll get them pics out to ya g-man

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks again fatboy, your a good man!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.