Gunco Forums banner

0% DSA lower/mill question

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
This is my first post and I pray I am not missing something. I have searched repeatedly for any info on whether the HF Micro Mini Mill would be capable of accomplishing this or not. I have an opportunity to get a Micro Mini Mill from a guy who owes me $200. I have one of the 0% lowers on the way and I was debating doing it the "Dremel and File" way but since this came up I am not sure. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

#5 ·
Thank you both for the replies. I thought I had an answer but it wasn't there. I pm'ed the guy who'd asked essentially the same question to see if he'd gotten an answer. I keep entering different combo's in the search field, so we'll see. Thanks.

#6 ·
c trainum, I have a mill a couple of steps up from the micro mill, I don't think (only opinion) you could do all the operations, but it would be MUCH better than dremeling. If you could get it for 200 I would do it especially if you were going to do other projects. You will find more and more projects after you get one.

#7 ·
The hf mill does not have enough travel to do all the machining of a lower - I would also be hesitant to mill out the mag well with such a lower hp machine.

I would save a little and look for gov. surplus and equipment auctions - I picked up my 54" mill at a navy auction for $650. You can see the lower I milled with it in the 0% lower build thread

#8 ·
Yes you can do it with the $450 model... the MINI-mill. Don't know about the smaller one, aka the MICRO mill.

Way back when, an entire thread was stickied on the homegunsmith.com forum, but I haven't looked for it in quite some time. You need the correct cutting tools for the proper radius cuts, and you'll need a threading tool for the buffer tube.

#9 ·
Yea, save up yer dough. I have about $800 or $900 in my mill. I waited 'till the right one came along and now I'm pretty much set. 4 axis DRO full size bridgeport mill. Lots o tools and whatnot, ebay rules if yer patient.
It may be just me but, I hate cheap tools. They always seem to give up when you need them the most. I buy my beer with what I do with my tools so I'm kinda picky. Oh, and I feed the wife and kids too with that money.

#10 ·
I also preffer older well made tools, I got this nice little Atlas horizontal mill for $300.00 & I dare say it's a lot more heavy iron than the Chinese mini micro mill:

I see these quite often on Ebay.

#11 ·
Bradrock said:
I also preffer older well made tools, I got this nice little Atlas horizontal mill for $300.00 & I dare say it's a lot more heavy iron than the Chinese mini micro mill:

I see these quite often on Ebay.
That thing friggen rocks

#12 ·
The A/R thread, and more, are still over there at RCG forums.

several people have done them with mini mills. For some fine examples of what can be done with a mini mill look in the "your projects" section for Fuzzbean's single shot, and also search for Fuzzbean's writeup on the mini mill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.